First year software engineering COOP

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2023 12:33 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2020
166 posts
698 upvotes

First year software engineering COOP

Hello, I am a first year software engineering student at Ottawau and in the program you must complete three COOP placements to graduate. It is vital as it would be of great benefit to be able to grow. If anyone here can point me to the right direction or ask their employer If they are willing to take me in. It would be highly appreciated.
3 replies
Mar 18, 2008
11 posts
15 upvotes
Canada
My son just completed his third co-op on the same program, and I was looking over his shoulder during the process. My advice is that you follow up on the Co-Op process inside U Ottawa, there are literally hundreds of postings. My son got his three placements using the university site. I'll keep an eye open for you.
Sep 28, 2003
615 posts
303 upvotes
ibravo wrote: My son just completed his third co-op on the same program, and I was looking over his shoulder during the process. My advice is that you follow up on the Co-Op process inside U Ottawa, there are literally hundreds of postings. My son got his three placements using the university site. I'll keep an eye open for you.
That's likely the easiest and first place to look for a placement. It's easier on employers because they pick a couple of universities and submit postings. University co-op offices will reach out to employers and help get those positions filled. It might be handy to look outside on your own but paying for co-op services and not using them is a waste of your own money.

If you want to work for specific companies and they aren't posted on your school's co-op job board, you'll have to reach out to the company and see if there are postings. So OttawaU might have Shopify postings but you might not find Google postings since they mainly hire from Waterloo.

As for subsequent placements, try out different companies and positions. This is the best time to try out mobile, desktop, or web development. It might be tough starting from scratch each work term but getting exposure now helps narrow down where you want to work after you graduate.
Jul 23, 2010
985 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
All good. Your schedule will be full of interviews after you apply through the school portal. The problem might actually be the limited number of times you are allowed to decline offers.

My gf is just in a college coop program (3 placements as well) and she applied through portal made for coop students. Was able to get many interviews and few offers. She went with IT with the province.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)