[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo

First year warranty should this be covered? - Kia

So the Kia warranty says this:

1-year/20,000 km - First-year adjustments covering consumable items such as bulbs, wiper blades, fuses, brake pads, etc.*

They charged us for a cabin filter, the dealer said this:

"The reason the cabin filter is replaced in the Maintenance 3 package is that over time the cabin filter stops bugs, leaves and other debris from entering the ac/heater box and needs to be replaced. This is not related to any defect of the filter so the 1 year / 20,000km warranty does not apply."

You'd think you could rationalize anything to get around the warranty?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
If consumables are covered, in air filter should be as well. But since it doesn't say, dealer can go full retard.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35599 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Was this a straight no from the dealership, or they sent it to KIA and it came back as not covered?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16727 posts
6954 upvotes
The items you list in bold are all items that would normally not be changed at the 1 year interval. To me, that's their way of saying they will cover manufacturer's defects in consumable parts.

Your cabin filter reaches end of life at 20,000km (or whatever your owner's manual says), and as such, it shouldn't be covered by warranty. If it failed (manufacturer's defect) that's another story, but seeing as how you reached it's lifespan it seems unfair of you to ask it to be covered under warranty, and you should not expect it to either.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1907 upvotes
Markham, ON
just change the filter yourself...not that expensive.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4749 posts
5866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's meant to cover defects in consumable parts, not to cover replacements due to wear.

Let's say you drive 150,000km in one year and blow through the brakes. Do you expect them to comp you for that? Hell, should they replace your motor too?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6388 posts
2035 upvotes
BC
Kia are saying that as they have the cabin filter replacement as a scheduled maintenance item that excludes it from being replaced under 1st. year adjustments and consumables.

Now, if wiper blade replacement was also in scheduled maintenance they are not being consistent. If it isn't, they have their bases covered.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
TrevorK wrote: The items you list in bold are all items that would normally not be changed at the 1 year interval. To me, that's their way of saying they will cover manufacturer's defects in consumable parts.

Your cabin filter reaches end of life at 20,000km (or whatever your owner's manual says), and as such, it shouldn't be covered by warranty. If it failed (manufacturer's defect) that's another story, but seeing as how you reached it's lifespan it seems unfair of you to ask it to be covered under warranty, and you should not expect it to either.
Manual says to replace the air filter at 24 months, 48000km. Car is 11 months, about 24k. Now maybe it falls under their "sever climate" nonsense which requires we bring the car in every 6000km rather than the 8000km that some guy in Detroit would bring it in (they're 3 km north of Windsor). Anyway, I just asked. Its one of those things that I've found dealers usually pick up for 'good will' and it certainly seemed to apply to their written warranty.
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
hagbard wrote: So the Kia warranty says this:

1-year/20,000 km - First-year adjustments covering consumable items such as bulbs, wiper blades, fuses, brake pads, etc.*

They charged us for a cabin filter, the dealer said this:

"The reason the cabin filter is replaced in the Maintenance 3 package is that over time the cabin filter stops bugs, leaves and other debris from entering the ac/heater box and needs to be replaced. This is not related to any defect of the filter so the 1 year / 20,000km warranty does not apply."

You'd think you could rationalize anything to get around the warranty?
I'm siding with the dealer here. Unless the air filter is defective, why would it be covered under warranty?

I'm assuming what's highlighted in bold only refers to coverage in the event of a defect.
hagbard wrote: No, I expect them to honor their warranty...they warranty the brakes for one year, after that, its on my tab. They say they warranty consumables for the first year, yet they don't. Makes me wonder about the rest of the warranty. If they're not going to honour the first year cheap parts, why should I believe they'll honour the rest of the warranty coverage? Why should I continue to bring the car to them for service?
Unless I'm missing something here, the warranty is only for defects. It's not a maintenance schedule like what BMW offers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Yodums wrote: I'm siding with the dealer here. Unless the air filter is defective, why would it be covered under warranty?

I'm assuming what's highlighted in bold only refers to coverage in the event of a defect.

Unless I'm missing something here, the warranty is only for defects. It's not a maintenance schedule like what BMW offers.
Why are they including brake pads then? Wipers? And like I said, the filter wasn't due to be replaced till the next service. Anyway, its not a big ticket item, it just makes me wonder what happens when it is.
Apr 14, 2008
107 posts
29 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Manual says to replace the air filter at 24 months, 48000km. Car is 11 months, about 33k. Now maybe it falls under their "sever climate" nonsense which requires we bring the car in every 6000km rather than the 8000km that some guy in Detroit would bring it in (they're 3 km north of Windsor). Anyway, I just asked. Its one of those things that I've found dealers usually pick up for 'good will' and it certainly seemed to apply to their written warranty.
How did the cabin filter replacement go down? Did they say, "Hey, you need to change the filter" and you obliged? If so, I'd say you're responsible for the cost because you have a choice of accepting or declining. Your car is 13k beyond the consumable parts warranty, so getting a freebie is out the window.

If they went ahead and replaced without consent, then you definitely have a case.
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.kia.ca/kia-warranty-manual wrote:The First Year
• Adjustment Coverage
Adjustments are covered for the first 12 months or 20,000 km, whichever comes first. This means minor adjustments, not usually associated with the replacement of parts, such as wheel balance and alignment, freeplay or tension adjustments of cables, belts, levers and pedals, engine adjustments (idle speed etc.) body parts and fittings.
• Service Items
Bulb, fuses, belts, brake pads and shoes, filters, clutch linings, and wiper blades will be covered for defect in material and workmanship, but not for normal wear, for one year or 20,000 kms whichever comes first. Brake rotors/discs will be covered for defects in material and workmanship but not for normal wear for 3 years/60,000 kms which ever comes first. Spark plugs are covered by warranty only if electrical continuity fails and causes emission test failures. Regular spark plugs are covered 24 months/48,000 kms., platinum and iridium spark plugs are covered for 3 years/60,000 kms. Alloy, mags and chrome plated wheels and hand tools are covered for defects in material and workmanship but not for normal wear for 3 years/60,000 kms. After these periods, all items listed are considered normal maintenance and will be solely the owner’s responsibility.
Straight from the Kia Canada New Car Warranty manual, for future reference
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
hagbard wrote: Why are they including brake pads then? Wipers? And like I said, the filter wasn't due to be replaced till the next service. Anyway, its not a big ticket item, it just makes me wonder what happens when it is.
hagbard wrote: Why are they including brake pads then? Wipers? And like I said, the filter wasn't due to be replaced till the next service. Anyway, its not a big ticket item, it just makes me wonder what happens when it is.
I think you're misinterpreting... The policy is meant to say they will cover the consumables in the event they are defective (i.e. not caused by the driver). In the event the consumables have been worn down due to the user, it won't be covered.

1. Covered: If you brought in the car within the coverage period and noticed it had hairline cracks all over the rotors, it would most likely be covered.

2. Not covered: Bring in your car within the coverage period with all brakes worn down evenly, indicating the driver uses their brakes excessively.

Also, keep in mind that every dealer has their own service schedule that's not necessarily the same as the one in the manual.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
HondaServiceGuy wrote: Straight from the Kia Canada New Car Warranty manual, for future reference
And of course, they don't have that up front and centre when they're trying to sell you a car. ;)

http://www.kia.ca/kia-warranty

It makes me think consumables are covered regardless. Some manufacturers cover everything in the first year (BMW??), thought this was that. Anyway, we were over the mileage as pointed out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35599 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yodums wrote: I think you're misinterpreting... The policy is meant to say they will cover the consumables in the event they are defective (i.e. not caused by the driver). In the event the consumables have been worn down due to the user, it won't be covered.

1. Covered: If you brought in the car within the coverage period and noticed it had hairline cracks all over the rotors, it would most likely be covered.

2. Not covered: Bring in your car within the coverage period with all brakes worn down evenly, indicating the driver uses their brakes excessively.

Also, keep in mind that every dealer has their own service schedule that's not necessarily the same as the one in the manual.
In which the manual supersedes the dealership!
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1183 posts
569 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
lol OP, filter is $10, change it on ur own
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Just to restate it, I already conceded that in this case, the dealership is right (but not for the reasons they cited). We were over the mileage. But from now on, we'll check the maintenance schedule and do as much work as we can before we bring it in. Such as changing the air filter, etc.
May 22, 2007
484 posts
253 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
hagbard wrote: No, I expect them to honor their warranty...they warranty the brakes for one year, after that, its on my tab. They say they warranty consumables for the first year, yet they don't. Makes me wonder about the rest of the warranty. If they're not going to honour the first year cheap parts, why should I believe they'll honour the rest of the warranty coverage? Why should I continue to bring the car to them for service?
Unbelievable! You have a warped sense of what warranty means. And although you conceded the dealership was right, but mentioned they are right for the wrong reasons, you are still wrong. As has been explained many times here they warrant that the part will not be defective, not that they will cover wear and tear.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5717 posts
4056 upvotes
i do own a Kia, and cabin air filter, engine air filter, lights bulbs, wipers and everything that is .normal use" is not covered... Never got any of these items changed under warranty for any car I owned... cabin air filter is less that $20, go over it, buy it and change it by yourself. Really easy, just empty the glove box, pull the 2 stoppers and voilà