Oct 20, 2019
191 posts
88 upvotes

Fitbit Versa 3 vs Galaxy Watch4 40mm

debating which one to get the wife
she wants it purely for the health and fitness tracking
never used a fitbit before so no idea how it compares
any of you have any input on which one?

versa 3 is on sale for 230 atm and the galaxy 4 is slightly cheaper with the 100$ 'trade in' credit
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5053 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
For serious workouts where you want to track heart rate, I think the general consensus is that any of the wrist worn devices are not the most accurate. If you want to accurately track heart rate you should get one of the $90-$120 chest strap devices, such as the Polar H10. My experience is that my Fitbit is no where near as responsive to heart rate changes as a chest strap - the Fitbit lags and in sustained cardio shows a different value than the strap.

I've been using the Polar H7 for 4 years (since April 2017) and a Fitbit Inspire HR for 18 months. The H7 was for a rehab program twice a week where a 90 minute session was comprised of 30 minutes of cardio (bike, tread mill, etc) 30 minutes of resistance training, and 30 minutes of core & stretches. Sometimes I would add a 3rd session. The chest straps do wear out over time from use. I'm on my 6th strap now - I buy $15 replacements off Amazon. I only use the Polar app for accurate tracking of workout sessions and not for any of the workout routines they promote. Also, if you start to use the cardio machines at gyms, you'll find that the H10 automatically syncs to the heart rate readout on most of the machines without needing to touch the HR sensor strips these often have. I'm not sure if the Samsung watch does that.

The Fitbit is only used to track steps and sleep patterns. It's much better than my phone for steps and the sleep pattern stuff is interesting. My wife got the newer Fitbit Inspire 2 this past January and it has a slightly different UI in the phone app for showing info that is more enlightening than mine. One thing I find is that the screen is a PITA to read outside as the letters are very small and it is not that bright. But it and its' app are still useful. I only use the Fitbit app to track steps (and the corresponding calories burned), not for any of the fitness routines they promote. 100% for sure walks help to burn off the calories. I've seen it first hand during some periods where I could not work out due injury. I now try to get at least 10,000 steps on days I don't work out.

A key part of this story is that at Xmas 2018 I realized my weight was not where it should be after 18 months of rehab - down only 20 lbs. I started using the app "MyFitnessPal" in its' "free" mode as a daily calorie diary and only as a calorie diary to set and monitor a personal calorie budget. Once I saw the differential of calorie intake vs calories burned I changed my diet and the pounds came off quick. But I was quite determined and somewhat fanatic about entering my calories consumed. I even bought a $15 scale to weigh food portions which I can now more or less eyeball but initially food portion sizes vs food weight were an eye opener.

You are able to link both the Polar app and the Fitbit app to MyFitnessPal so that it syncs the calories you burn from workouts and/or just going for walks. With the linking of the Polar and Fitbit devices, MyFitnessPal shows where you are in real time in terms of your daily calorie budget. You see the calories EARNED thru exercise and added to your daily budget and you see the calorie intake that uses up your calorie budget.

The bottom line for your bottom is that you're NOT going to lose weight unless you understand and control your calorie intake. You'll see results quicker and more consistently month to month when you start to exercise regularly which confirms you're on the right track and that positive reinforcement will get you over the hump of those days where "I don't feel like it".

I checked and it appears that MyFitnessPal can also link with the Samsung "MyHealth" app.

I'd successfully rehab'd before COVID started and had lost about 50 lbs to this point so I continued to work out at home while working from home and got into longer workouts of 3 hour sessions 3x Week. Lost another 10 lbs and found a 6 pack. I've been holding this weight steady ever since though I have not worked out as intensely for the past 8 months. My current Fitbit cardio estimate is 50 to 54 which they say is excellent for a man my age.

Hope it works out for you just as well.

[OP]
Oct 20, 2019
191 posts
88 upvotes
Bro that's a bit of a tangent.

I'm just going to get both and return the one she doesn't like.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5053 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
jattmufc wrote: Bro that's a bit of a tangent.

I'm just going to get both and return the one she doesn't like.
That will work too. But this is RFD and the point is why spend more than you have to. A $90 Inspire 2 can be just as effective and is less intrusive on your wrist. You can have the most expensive, most accurate HR monitor, but as I said above....
The bottom line for your bottom is that you're NOT going to lose weight unless you understand and control your calorie intake. You'll see results quicker and more consistently month to month when you start to exercise regularly which confirms you're on the right track and that positive reinforcement will get you over the hump of those days where "I don't feel like it".
Regardless of which device you go with, calorie count for at least a couple of months with the MyFitnessPal app, otherwise it is just a piece of jewellery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)