Fitness and Nutrition

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
122 posts
76 upvotes
GVRD

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

Dr Bonnie Henry stated that fitness Centres may reopen after the long weekend in BC albeit creating a new procedure plan with various measure to reduce the risk of spreading COVID.
Thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss if any gyms are planning on opening, what measure they have taken and whether you will resume your workouts at the gym.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6950218/bc-g ... ronavirus/
71 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4980 posts
1613 upvotes
I'm assuming you'd have to sign up in advance for a timeslot - similar to booking out a squash court or treadmill. Good luck getting any level of consistency. At a significantly reduced capacity, they'll probably have to limit the number of workouts you can do per week.

And even then, am I expected to work out with a mask, gloves and a box of Lysol wipes?

Hard pass. This doesn't seem like an experience I would want to pay for.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1285 posts
728 upvotes
I wonder how gyms will handle cancellations.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
122 posts
76 upvotes
GVRD
RCGA wrote: I'm assuming you'd have to sign up in advance for a timeslot - similar to booking out a squash court or treadmill. Good luck getting any level of consistency. At a significantly reduced capacity, they'll probably have to limit the number of workouts you can do per week.

And even then, am I expected to work out with a mask, gloves and a box of Lysol wipes?

Hard pass. This doesn't seem like an experience I would want to pay for.
I'm thinking around the same lines. That gym patrons will have to sign-up for a time slot in advance. Gym equipment might be spaced 2 metres apart. Extra sanitation stations. Probably more staff observing patrons adhere to the rules.
Maybe group classes cancelled due to an outbreak linked to group fitness classes in South Korea.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/health/f ... index.html
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4664 posts
5740 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
I was excited about the reopening. Then I realized. Wait, there's still no cure. Every time I'm out for groceries (building full of people) then come home. I feel like I gotta spit out the phlegm thats stuck in my throat. Never was I like this. I work outdoors with lots of others around. I don't feel that phlegm.

The physical distance will be a headache. I believe there's a limit of 50 people per building/gathering? So staff plus clients. That's not much. You gonna spray/wipe down every dumbell after each use? I doubt people will do that.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4980 posts
1613 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: So staff plus clients. That's not much. You gonna spray/wipe down every dumbell after each use? I doubt people will do that.
If you can't assume the equipment is clean, then you'll need to wipe it down before and after use.

How on earth can you use a squat rack? You'd have to wipe down the rack, j-hooks, safeties, plates and bar before and after use. That'll take forever if you're worried about COVID. Imagine doing dumbbell press on a bench; you have to wipe down every dumbbell before and after use. And if you reuse a weight, God forbid they touch the floor in between sets.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1285 posts
728 upvotes
How will you spot someone from 6ft out?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1468 posts
503 upvotes
Calgary
n0thing wrote: How will you spot someone from 6ft out?
Maybe it will have to be all you bro.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4664 posts
5740 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
Dark Phoenix wrote: Maybe it will have to be all you bro.
I LOL'd . My gym didn't open today. My coworkers did. I will ask him tomorrow to see how it was
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4664 posts
5740 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
My friends gym opened. Said there's a line up about 30 minute wait. Obviously wipe stuff down.

Someone put 50lb dumbbell in the 40lb area. Along 30 lb in the 20lb area etc.... so he decided to put them in the correct spot. He got the stink eye from other members there.

If your still afraid of the virus. Just don't goto the gym.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
122 posts
76 upvotes
GVRD
chilli604 wrote: My friends gym opened. Said there's a line up about 30 minute wait. Obviously wipe stuff down.

Someone put 50lb dumbbell in the 40lb area. Along 30 lb in the 20lb area etc.... so he decided to put them in the correct spot. He got the stink eye from other members there.

Which gym is this?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4664 posts
5740 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
spartus123 wrote: Which gym is this?
I think it is Westcoast iron? Not sure he quickly showed me the line up. A quick Google should help you. They looking for new clients also
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6603 posts
2601 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: My friends gym opened. Said there's a line up about 30 minute wait. Obviously wipe stuff down.

30 min wait just to get inside the gym? Not looking forward to that. At my gym, some people (quite a lot actually) don't even bother to put the weights back. There's this 1 guy, he loaded 20 plates (10 on each side) for the leg press & didn't bother to put any of them back (he did not even do 1 legit rep btw, just wanted everyone to notice him since 900 lbs is a lot, he just did cheat reps). 1st time he didn't put the weights back I didn't say anything, I figured he probably forgot (it happens). Another day, same guy, once again did not put back any of his 20 plates (45 lbs each), when I mentioned it to him (respectfully) he acted like he just forgot (again). Goodlife in GTA
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4664 posts
5740 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
HP_John wrote: 30 min wait just to get inside the gym? Not looking forward to that. At my gym, some people (quite a lot actually) don't even bother to put the weights back. There's this 1 guy, he loaded 20 plates (10 on each side) for the leg press & didn't bother to put any of them back (he did not even do 1 legit rep btw, just wanted everyone to notice him since 900 lbs is a lot, he just did cheat reps). 1st time he didn't put the weights back I didn't say anything, I figured he probably forgot (it happens). Another day, same guy, once again did not put back any of his 20 plates (45 lbs each), when I mentioned it to him (respectfully) he acted like he just forgot (again). Goodlife in GTA
What a D-bag. Now everything that is being touched. Does that need to be wiped down?
If that guy doesn't put back those weight. Next person gotta wipe down those 45 plates. Thats a work out for some

This is why I prefer a gym without a Bench press. You don't get people like that
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6603 posts
2601 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: What a D-bag. Now everything that is being touched. Does that need to be wiped down?
If that guy doesn't put back those weight. Next person gotta wipe down those 45 plates. Thats a work out for some

This is why I prefer a gym without a Bench press. You don't get people like that
Yea, it's bad enough to not put back your weights but when it's 20 plates, that is a lot of work. This happened pre-pandemic, I can't imagine the workload now to wipe down 20 plates lol. Imagine if the next person is a girl, a lot of girls would find it quite challenging to have to remove 20 plates of 45 lbs. Of course some girls are very strong but in general, I think a lot of them would struggle (at least at my gym). It was a leg press, they also have the machine leg press that is much easier to change weights, but that only goes to 420 lbs I think.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1039 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodLife just released their reopening protocols:

https://www.goodlifefitness.com/goodlif ... ame=DM6462

Sounds like a giant PITA. I pre-paid for a year and really hope I can cancel my membership. Also, can't help but wonder if all these cleaning procedures (not specifically GoodLife, but everywhere) will lead to an increase in resistant bacteria or cause other health issues due to increased exposure to chemicals...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1834 posts
2095 upvotes
HP_John wrote: 30 min wait just to get inside the gym? Not looking forward to that. At my gym, some people (quite a lot actually) don't even bother to put the weights back. There's this 1 guy, he loaded 20 plates (10 on each side) for the leg press & didn't bother to put any of them back (he did not even do 1 legit rep btw, just wanted everyone to notice him since 900 lbs is a lot, he just did cheat reps). 1st time he didn't put the weights back I didn't say anything, I figured he probably forgot (it happens). Another day, same guy, once again did not put back any of his 20 plates (45 lbs each), when I mentioned it to him (respectfully) he acted like he just forgot (again). Goodlife in GTA
Yep, a lot of jackasses at Goodlife when it comes to putting things away including towels into the laundry bins.