Fitness and Nutrition

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 12:09 am
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
90 posts
51 upvotes
GVRD

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

Dr Bonnie Henry stated that fitness Centres may reopen after the long weekend in BC albeit creating a new procedure plan with various measure to reduce the risk of spreading COVID.
Thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss if any gyms are planning on opening, what measure they have taken and whether you will resume your workouts at the gym.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6950218/bc-g ... ronavirus/
59 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4510 posts
989 upvotes
I'm assuming you'd have to sign up in advance for a timeslot - similar to booking out a squash court or treadmill. Good luck getting any level of consistency. At a significantly reduced capacity, they'll probably have to limit the number of workouts you can do per week.

And even then, am I expected to work out with a mask, gloves and a box of Lysol wipes?

Hard pass. This doesn't seem like an experience I would want to pay for.
Let's hug it out
Jul 14, 2013
881 posts
354 upvotes
I wonder how gyms will handle cancellations.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
90 posts
51 upvotes
GVRD
RCGA wrote: I'm assuming you'd have to sign up in advance for a timeslot - similar to booking out a squash court or treadmill. Good luck getting any level of consistency. At a significantly reduced capacity, they'll probably have to limit the number of workouts you can do per week.

And even then, am I expected to work out with a mask, gloves and a box of Lysol wipes?

Hard pass. This doesn't seem like an experience I would want to pay for.
I'm thinking around the same lines. That gym patrons will have to sign-up for a time slot in advance. Gym equipment might be spaced 2 metres apart. Extra sanitation stations. Probably more staff observing patrons adhere to the rules.
Maybe group classes cancelled due to an outbreak linked to group fitness classes in South Korea.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/health/f ... index.html
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
1599 posts
844 upvotes
Oregon
I was excited about the reopening. Then I realized. Wait, there's still no cure. Every time I'm out for groceries (building full of people) then come home. I feel like I gotta spit out the phlegm thats stuck in my throat. Never was I like this. I work outdoors with lots of others around. I don't feel that phlegm.

The physical distance will be a headache. I believe there's a limit of 50 people per building/gathering? So staff plus clients. That's not much. You gonna spray/wipe down every dumbell after each use? I doubt people will do that.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4510 posts
989 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: So staff plus clients. That's not much. You gonna spray/wipe down every dumbell after each use? I doubt people will do that.
If you can't assume the equipment is clean, then you'll need to wipe it down before and after use.

How on earth can you use a squat rack? You'd have to wipe down the rack, j-hooks, safeties, plates and bar before and after use. That'll take forever if you're worried about COVID. Imagine doing dumbbell press on a bench; you have to wipe down every dumbbell before and after use. And if you reuse a weight, God forbid they touch the floor in between sets.
Let's hug it out
Jul 14, 2013
881 posts
354 upvotes
How will you spot someone from 6ft out?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1343 posts
396 upvotes
Calgary
n0thing wrote: How will you spot someone from 6ft out?
Maybe it will have to be all you bro.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
1599 posts
844 upvotes
Oregon
Dark Phoenix wrote: Maybe it will have to be all you bro.
I LOL'd . My gym didn't open today. My coworkers did. I will ask him tomorrow to see how it was
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
1599 posts
844 upvotes
Oregon
My friends gym opened. Said there's a line up about 30 minute wait. Obviously wipe stuff down.

Someone put 50lb dumbbell in the 40lb area. Along 30 lb in the 20lb area etc.... so he decided to put them in the correct spot. He got the stink eye from other members there.

If your still afraid of the virus. Just don't goto the gym.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
90 posts
51 upvotes
GVRD
chilli604 wrote: My friends gym opened. Said there's a line up about 30 minute wait. Obviously wipe stuff down.

Someone put 50lb dumbbell in the 40lb area. Along 30 lb in the 20lb area etc.... so he decided to put them in the correct spot. He got the stink eye from other members there.

If your still afraid of the virus. Just don't goto the gym.
Which gym is this?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
1599 posts
844 upvotes
Oregon
spartus123 wrote: Which gym is this?
I think it is Westcoast iron? Not sure he quickly showed me the line up. A quick Google should help you. They looking for new clients also