Fitness and Nutrition

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 9:50 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1331 posts
809 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: GoodLife just released their reopening protocols:

https://www.goodlifefitness.com/goodlif ... ame=DM6462

Sounds like a giant PITA. I pre-paid for a year and really hope I can cancel my membership. Also, can't help but wonder if all these cleaning procedures (not specifically GoodLife, but everywhere) will lead to an increase in resistant bacteria or cause other health issues due to increased exposure to chemicals...
Isn't cancellation fee like $100? I believe even transferring the membership has a fee.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5024 posts
1703 upvotes
No sauna, no towel service, no hot tub, no showers.

How about a reduced price?
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6866 posts
2861 upvotes
Goodlife just sent out an email, after EVERY 1 hr, there will be a 30 minute closure for them to clean the gym. So you gotta try to get changed, workout, get changed again & leave within 60 mins basically. My Goodlife location has multiple levels & a very long walk to the change room, so this is actually more like 45 mins for me to actually workout (once you minus the walk to the change room & changing, changing again & walking out to leave)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4985 posts
6504 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
Clean before and after. I don't mind doing that. Will others though. Probably not!

Another member in here said. One guy throws in 10 45lbs plates. Or was it 20. I don't know. I'm drunk lol

Anyways if he leaves it there. The next person. Well they gonna get high off the chemicals
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1331 posts
809 upvotes
So essentially you pay for a membership, which entitles you to book a time to go and clean their equipment.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5419 posts
1210 upvotes
rural ontario
I'm at goodlife and got the info.. my routine is work out before work in the morning - but only if I have no morning meetings and I'm feeling like a workout.
Booking in advance? lineups? no showers? constant wipe downs? no lockers, 1 hour workout max? I may as well as go to the cheapest gym possible as none of the benefits I had before are there, too bad I pay by the year.

Thinking even more about it, if I can get a refund I may just a well as buy equipment for my basement. Good weights are damn expensive - but a one time investment.

There should be a day for the previously infected or anyone who doesn't fear infection to workout without the restrictions.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2360 posts
1087 upvotes
HP_John wrote: Goodlife just sent out an email, after EVERY 1 hr, there will be a 30 minute closure for them to clean the gym. So you gotta try to get changed, workout, get changed again & leave within 60 mins basically. My Goodlife location has multiple levels & a very long walk to the change room, so this is actually more like 45 mins for me to actually workout (once you minus the walk to the change room & changing, changing again & walking out to leave)
I mean, kudos to Goodlife for such an extensive and detailed list of rules and protocols...but WOW, just working out at the gym sounds so stressful now with all these rules, timelines and limitations in place.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5057 posts
2865 upvotes
It sounds like it's becoming more of a private/exclusive gym with all the attention to cleanliness and limited people.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10881 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
3 days out of 7 for no restriction free for all day, other days are enforced booking, limitation days.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1048 posts
283 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheapo-Findo wrote: 3 days out of 7 for no restriction free for all day, other days are enforced booking, limitation days.
At GoodLife or are you talking about somewhere else? The GoodLife Reopening Protocols say:
Members are permitted to book only ONE (1) time block per day however, they are welcome to try and walk-in at any other time block, as many times as they like, on the same day.
I don't see anything about days without these restrictions.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10881 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hi Jenny! Thanks Jenny!
Jenny1975 wrote: At GoodLife or are you talking about somewhere else? The GoodLife Reopening Protocols say:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5419 posts
1210 upvotes
rural ontario
Jenny1975 wrote: At GoodLife or are you talking about somewhere else? The GoodLife Reopening Protocols say:

Probably just wishful thinking. If they have a day without restrictions, some idiot will go in and get infected then sue the club.
Hell.. even with restrictions someone will go in and get infected then sue the club.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1331 posts
809 upvotes
Any word from budget gyms like Fit4less or planet fitness?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1360 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
n0thing wrote: Any word from budget gyms like Fit4less or planet fitness?
Honestly- fit4less- I cant see how they could open- those places are tiny.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1360 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
The main issue is that all the cleaning efforts and new tech is going to cost Good Life ALOT of money.
They will have less members being able to workout with reduced hours.
I have heard that they are NOT currently paying rent- not that they cash poor- but they have zero cash in, so they aren't paying anything until they reopen.
With reduced membership- its going to be hard for them. I have to wonder if the Gov't has or will be quietly bailing them out.
Apr 6, 2018
71 posts
56 upvotes
submalst wrote: I have heard that they are NOT currently paying rent- not that they cash poor- but they have zero cash in, so they aren't paying anything until they reopen.
Wow, that's incredibly sleazy if true. Of course small business fitness centers are still paying rent. Makes me wonder if that was their whole tactic concerning staying quiet about reopening. Bleed the small fitness centers dry with rent then scoop up their members. At least in Ontario where most of their fitness centers are located. Peculiar that they are one of the last clubs to open up in BC, that's for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6814 posts
2471 upvotes
Vancouver
submalst wrote: Honestly- fit4less- I cant see how they could open- those places are tiny.
Not true, the 2 fit4less I go to are massive and bigger than 3 Goodlifes I know.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
May 27, 2011
457 posts
282 upvotes
NORTH YORK
dazz wrote: Not true, the 2 fit4less I go to are massive and bigger than 3 Goodlifes I know.
Same owner
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10881 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Survival of the fittest!

Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1360 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote:
Not true, the 2 fit4less I go to are massive and bigger than 3 Goodlifes I know.
Could be ymmv- the ones in Toronto are small.
Some of the GL’s are also small. But F4L usually low cost to run. I dont see how they could support it without hiring more staff to clean etc. They would loose money.

The reality is that they are not going to get all their members back. Even if they have enough cash ( which they do) its going to cost them big to open have all their cleaning costs covered.
I would not be surprised if they were getting some type of Govt support.

Commercial landlords and big retailers work together to pitch rent relief plan to Ottawa

“The group includes Cineplex Inc., Aritzia Inc. and GoodLife Fitness Centres Inc.; as well as property owners such as RioCan REIT, SmartCentres REIT, Oxford Properties and Ivanhoé Cambridge Inc.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... itch-rent/