Fitness and Nutrition

Fitness Centres may open Starting May 19th (BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 9:50 pm
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1357 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
mehguy5 wrote: Wow, that's incredibly sleazy if true. Of course small business fitness centers are still paying rent. Makes me wonder if that was their whole tactic concerning staying quiet about reopening. Bleed the small fitness centers dry with rent then scoop up their members.
No this is not the case.
3 things.
1. I wrote about what opening up would look like and those challenges back in April in this thread
2. Its not about bleeding dry the competition. Some business that shut just dont have any cash coming through. For GL to re-open, they need to hold onto cash so that they can spend it when they do re-open.Most of the larger REITs, property and mall owners get it that GL doesnt have ANY revenue coming in right now. So in some cases there is no payment or they put into place a payment plan. But they do have cash.
3. There is no risk of GL closing down. Sure they might re-evaluate some of their current locations and close them, but they are one of the largest in North America, and is the largest in Canada. Gyms are needed for public health. So in someways its a game of chicken with the mall owners and the Federal Government. GL will be fine....

Lastly, If GL were to expand, they would likely acquire higher end gym locations to get into the premium market (more $$) (think LA Fitness, Equinox).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6853 posts
2852 upvotes
submalst wrote: No this is not the case.
3 things.
1. I wrote about what opening up would look like and those challenges back in April in this thread
2. Its not about bleeding dry the competition. Some business that shut just dont have any cash coming through. For GL to re-open, they need to hold onto cash so that they can spend it when they do re-open.Most of the larger REITs, property and mall owners get it that GL doesnt have ANY revenue coming in right now. So in some cases there is no payment or they put into place a payment plan. But they do have cash.
3. There is no risk of GL closing down. Sure they might re-evaluate some of their current locations and close them, but they are one of the largest in North America, and is the largest in Canada. Gyms are needed for public health. So in someways its a game of chicken with the mall owners and the Federal Government. GL will be fine....

Lastly, If GL were to expand, they would likely acquire higher end gym locations to get into the premium market (more $$) (think LA Fitness, Equinox).
According to GL themselves, they are the 4th largest gym chain in the world. What metric they're using, I'm not sure (I"m assuming # of gym locations). I know they have a monopoly here but was very surprised to read that, they have something like 365 locations.

GL sent out an email today that for the GTA, GL tentatively scheduled to reopen July 13, if the government permits. Earlier for other areas of Ont.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4981 posts
6500 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
Got some dumbbells. Been working out in my back yard in the sun. I think I like this more than the gym. No babes here though haha
Apr 6, 2018
71 posts
56 upvotes
HP_John wrote: According to GL themselves, they are the 4th largest gym chain in the world. What metric they're using, I'm not sure (I"m assuming # of gym locations). I know they have a monopoly here but was very surprised to read that, they have something like 365 locations.

GL sent out an email today that for the GTA, GL tentatively scheduled to reopen July 13, if the government permits. Earlier for other areas of Ont.
Bumping this to say it's very interesting that Ontario is the only province in Canada to leave out gyms for re-opening starting Stage 2. Very convenient for Goodlife who are not ready to re-open and have about 150 locations in Ontario and inconvenient for small businesses like Fortis who have been ready for a while now.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1047 posts
283 upvotes
Ottawa
mehguy5 wrote: Bumping this to say it's very interesting that Ontario is the only province in Canada to leave out gyms for re-opening starting Stage 2. Very convenient for Goodlife who are not ready to re-open and have about 150 locations in Ontario and inconvenient for small businesses like Fortis who have been ready for a while now.
I also found it interesting that gyms were only listed in stage 3 for Ontario. But what makes you say that they aren't ready? They are opening this Monday in PEI (granted, only one location), but are opening in Manitoba, BC and New-Brunswick on June 22.

GoodLife Reopening Schedule
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1327 posts
809 upvotes
GL has reopened in some areas, any experience/comment thus far?

Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1450 posts
1673 upvotes
How are the gyms from a personal experience in the provinces that are open?? Can anyone share?
<signature length too long>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5021 posts
1700 upvotes
Not a member of GL, but was a member of another full-service gym. We lost:

• Half of our fitness center equipment
• Showers
• Towel Service, Hot Tub & Saunas
• Fans
• Hair Dryers
• Swimming Pool
• Squash Courts

I won't be back.
Let's hug it out
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
I assume you cannot share equipment? I am just wondering how that will go with using dumbbells or other strength equipment.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1450 posts
1673 upvotes
RCGA wrote: Not a member of GL, but was a member of another full-service gym. We lost:

• Showers
• Fans
• Hair Dryers
• Swimming Pool
• Squash Courts

I won't be back.
Wow, you've basically confirmed my cancelation lol
<signature length too long>
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1047 posts
283 upvotes
Ottawa
RCGA wrote: Not a member of GL, but was a member of another full-service gym. We lost:

• Showers
• Fans
• Hair Dryers
• Swimming Pool
• Squash Courts

I won't be back.
Sounds exactly like the "GoodLife Standard". Movati? Haven't heard anything about what they are doing.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1327 posts
809 upvotes
superscoots wrote: Wow, you've basically confirmed my cancelation lol
I'm looking to cancel my GL (paid corporate rate for the year), but there probably will be a fee. Anyone wants to take over my plan?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5396 posts
1207 upvotes
rural ontario
n0thing wrote: I'm looking to cancel my GL (paid corporate rate for the year), but there probably will be a fee. Anyone wants to take over my plan?
I wish I had paid monthly... 4 months of no gym waiting for them to open so I can cancel (if I can, also corp rate)
May 27, 2011
457 posts
281 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rilles wrote: I wish I had paid monthly... 4 months of no gym waiting for them to open so I can cancel (if I can, also corp rate)
I'm also in the same boat. Keep us posted if they let you cancel your Corp plan
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1047 posts
283 upvotes
Ottawa
maple1 wrote: They just announced that face masks will be mandatory in gyms here in Toronto. Which will probably be the end of a lot of gym locations.
For members?? They already stated that they would be required for associates:
All GoodLife associates will be required to wear masks, with the exception of group fitness instructors who are actively teaching a class.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2115 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: For members?? They already stated that they would be required for associates:
Yes, for members at least here in Toronto but this from the city not the gym.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1047 posts
283 upvotes
Ottawa
maple1 wrote: Yes, for members at least here in Toronto but this from the city not the gym.
Really eh. Yikes, I can't imagine exercising while wearing a mask, particularly if doing anything intense. Meanwhile, obesity is considered a major risk factor for covid...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2115 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: Really eh. Yikes, I can't imagine exercising while wearing a mask, particularly if doing anything intense. Meanwhile, obesity is considered a major risk factor for covid...
Just saw something that says masks will not be required while actually exercising but otherwise required in the gym. Guess will see how this will be when they actually open.
Apr 6, 2018
71 posts
56 upvotes
lensbuyer wrote: I assume you cannot share equipment? I am just wondering how that will go with using dumbbells or other strength equipment.
This is what I'm worried about. What if my local goodlife only has 2 squat racks for use and they are both taken? Do I just leave and try my luck for the next one-hour slot I can book?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)