Investing

With a five-year horizon, any potential 2-3x baggers left?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 3:16 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54663 posts
19455 upvotes

With a five-year horizon, any potential 2-3x baggers left?

I missed bitcoin, SHOP, NXE, CGC in 2016.

Sold BBD, AIM, AAL too soon. :(

Any stock, besides weeds, TSLA and altcoins, with a potential 100-300% return over five years and why do you think so?
102 replies
Feb 21, 2010
878 posts
253 upvotes
Scarborough
Too lazy to type why, but I think msft, aapl and FB will be 2-3x in next couple of years. Also I think SHOP has lots of gas left in it - can touch 300-400$ in next 2-3 years with the growth they are showing
Sep 20, 2015
48 posts
63 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Baidu Inc
Very low market cap compared to the heavy hitters in China ( baba, jd , tencent)

They have a strong hold in the search market and market leader in ai
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54663 posts
19455 upvotes
I think Gran Colombia Gold (GCM) might be one. Problem is the jurisdiction is less stable but almost 200k ounces of gold production.

The company is raising funds to pay off all current debentures. Current debenture holders have been very accommodating and insiders have been buying debentures. The devil is in the new debt offering details.

I think the company is trying not to dilute common shareholders with the pending August 2018 debenture mandatory conversion (81% I believe).

This gold stock is cheaper than many non-producing gold plays.
Feb 21, 2010
878 posts
253 upvotes
Scarborough
Forget to add BABA

romeocanada wrote: Too lazy to type why, but I think msft, aapl and FB will be 2-3x in next couple of years. Also I think SHOP has lots of gas left in it - can touch 300-400$ in next 2-3 years with the growth they are showing
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3028 posts
898 upvotes
Yeah missed out on BTC and ETH for sure. Too late to get in now. I missed Apple when it was $92 (dip before pre-Trump regime) but got on few names on Tech wave including AMZN, TSLA, and SHOP. I recently missed out on steel companies like X and AKS (Trump infrastructure) so I got it bit late (got in last week when we had 10% correct in market)

Now eyeing on bio/health care ones.
Aug 22, 2012
195 posts
120 upvotes
Mark Town
Wait for market crash. Highly likely within 5 years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54663 posts
19455 upvotes
sherwoodRFD wrote: Wait for market crash. Highly likely within 5 years.
I'm not talking about indexing. I am talking specific stocks.

Unless it's as grave as r/e subprime and toxic assets (that regained their valuation in a few years), it's not going to be anything like 2009.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17149 posts
9881 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The consensus seems to be that we are in the later stages of a bull market so four sectors that typically perform well in the later stages -

1/ Consumer cyclicals - like (believe or not) retail
2/ Mining and materials
3/ Energy - consensus seems to point to that even with the increasing US supply, the oil glut that the world has been having will be no-more in the next few months so prices should start going upwards. So, oil services and smaller producers (two stocks - TCW which is making good money in this environment and will only make more when drilling increases and CJ which is supporting a 10% dividend in this market...)
4/ Interest sensitive like banks and life cos. - kind of a two edge sword on this as while they will make more money as the spread increases, they are primarily thought of as a dividend play so they will get held back to a certain extent at some point when the dividend starts looking not so good compared to bond yields.

As for individual stocks, if you like risk, look for leveraged plays in each of these sectors as they are down the most but will have the most to gain as the cycle moves on.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17149 posts
9881 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sherwoodRFD wrote: Wait for market crash. Highly likely within 5 years.
You can say that for any 5 year period as corrections tend to happen yearly with larger ones typically happening once every 5 to 7 years. The problem with waiting is that you don't have any gains while waiting...
Aug 22, 2012
195 posts
120 upvotes
Mark Town
Tech stocks usually go up crazy at the last bull run. Stocks like AMZN, FB are likely to go much higher before the year end.
Apr 27, 2014
371 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MU will do this. Probably is close to the 100% mark within a year as the market slowly realizes you can't argue with the fundamentals as earnings pileup.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
942 upvotes
OP, a 5 year horizon 2x banger.

If it's a mining stock, then my pick would be one pick only 'GOLD' mining stock ABX, should it get close to the $10 mark, then its mortgage your whole life & assets, include the wife, kids, grandparents to buy $1 million dollars worth of ABX

http://www.barrick.com/investors/news/n ... fault.aspx
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54663 posts
19455 upvotes
^ Can I mortgage a 70-year old acquaintance too?

You think gold will hit $3k in the next five years?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54663 posts
19455 upvotes
Why do you think so after BBD receding control of C Series to Airbus (through a partnership) without any monetary incentive?
Last edited by alanbrenton on Feb 16th, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
942 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: ^ Can I mortgage a 70-year old acquaintance too?

You think gold will hit $3k in the next five years?
leave the 70 year old alone unless its your parents or in-laws

"will gold hit $3k in 5-years", I haven't a clue

If its not gold, then my second pick for a 2x in 5 years would be Boeing

http://investors.boeing.com/investors/i ... fault.aspx
Aug 17, 2008
480 posts
201 upvotes
Quebec
Osisko mining. OSK.to

Future high grade gold mine in Quebec. Resource estimation and PEA coming in a few months