• Sep 2nd, 2019 6:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 7, 2015
223 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)

Fix or replace?

Need some knowledge and experience from some of you guys here.

Can I fix this with like bondo and then repaint? The bumper is not cracked as far a I know. Or is it easier to replace the whole thing?

Clearly for cosmetic only but seeing if it’s worth investing the time vs buying.
Images
  • B7D5B6CA-1DF8-4917-BE32-38BDECD2B13D.jpeg
  • B0DEF5DA-FA1B-48CC-98F8-BFBC424894FE.jpeg
  • B4C668A8-AB78-423C-89A6-BD9965DEFCBF.jpeg
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17490 posts
10267 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's kinda hard to tell from the photo but is that the paint layer that is so thick?

As for fixing it with bondo, the problem is that the bondo has to be able to stick to something and generally stuff doesn't stick well to plastic bumpers... Heck, paint doesn't stick to the bumpers without the right primer.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29354 posts
9941 upvotes
The bumper is not cracked...so what's that, that is cracked? Is that the paint? Seems awful thick for just the paint layer. But how did it get like this? Was something impacted or scraped against? If not, could it be factory defect?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16886 posts
7178 upvotes
You would want to post the year / make / model of vehicle to get a better answer. For example if this is a 2010 Mazda 3 you would likely be able to purchase a used bumper in decent shape that literally just bolts on. This would likely yield a much better job than someone looking to sand / prime / putty / etc. a bumper for the very first time.

I would also wonder if you could simply 3M / clear film over that section of your bumper but someone who specializes in 3M would be better able to answer how well the 3M / clear film will hold up with the peeling paint.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
You could maybe get someone to plastic weld it and repaint but if you're looking for a "unable to tell" job then you're looking a buying a new bumper cover and repaint.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2015
223 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
ES_Revenge wrote: The bumper is not cracked...so what's that, that is cracked? Is that the paint? Seems awful thick for just the paint layer. But how did it get like this? Was something impacted or scraped against? If not, could it be factory defect?
I think someone hit the bumper in the parking lot. Didn't notice until I did a walk around the car.
Yeah not sure why it's which though ...
[OP]
Apr 7, 2015
223 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
TrevorK wrote: You would want to post the year / make / model of vehicle to get a better answer. For example if this is a 2010 Mazda 3 you would likely be able to purchase a used bumper in decent shape that literally just bolts on. This would likely yield a much better job than someone looking to sand / prime / putty / etc. a bumper for the very first time.

I would also wonder if you could simply 3M / clear film over that section of your bumper but someone who specializes in 3M would be better able to answer how well the 3M / clear film will hold up with the peeling paint.
this is a 2011 Subaru Impreza, as far as I've own it, there was not film to cover it
[OP]
Apr 7, 2015
223 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
craftsman wrote: It's kinda hard to tell from the photo but is that the paint layer that is so thick?

As for fixing it with bondo, the problem is that the bondo has to be able to stick to something and generally stuff doesn't stick well to plastic bumpers... Heck, paint doesn't stick to the bumpers without the right primer.
it's a Subaru Impreza 2011 bumper, didn't actually look up on what it's made out of .. but from what I can gather it's cracked on the outer layer but the actual plastic is not cracked if I were to take it off.