• Jul 17th, 2020 9:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
790 posts
1209 upvotes
BC

Fix vs. replace an 80" TV

I have a Sharp LC-80LE632U 80-Inch LED-lit 1080p 120Hz TV that I've used for 8 years now. It cost US$4,439 when I bought it. It just died this week - suddenly losing all power (no blinking light when attempting to revive it - just totally dead). I've been waiting forever for an excuse to replace it and Black Friday is just around the corner.

A quick google / youtube search suggests with some electrical smarts I can probably open it up, try to figure out what's burnt out and maybe fix it - possibly for less than $10 in parts if I can repair, rather than replace the power. Maybe $200 in parts if the board needs to be totally replaced.

I'm ok with letting someone else benefit from my laziness - dealing with the fix and getting the upside of a cheap/free 80" TV off me, but I'm not OK if it's just going to be scrap heap junk if I don't attempt a repair. The e-waste will mean my conscience is going to get the better of me.

So to my question: do you think someone will happily take it off my hands (probably for free), fix it and give it a new home, and if so where should I "advertise" it or "donate" it?
Last edited by setlist on Nov 1st, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
Replace ...it going to cost you around $400 to repair the power supply, a new entry level 75" 4K HDR10 TV cost under $1000 these days or a mid level under $2000.
These days you have to pay someone to come take it off your hands ! ...LoL
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29311 posts
14823 upvotes
I'd fix it.
Hell I'd take it and fix it if you want to get rid of it.
EdT586 wrote: a new entry level 75" 4K HDR10 TV cost under $1000 these days
Did I miss a memo?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13378 posts
7642 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: Replace ...it going to cost you around $400 to repair the power supply, a new entry level 75" 4K HDR10 TV cost under $1000 these days or a mid level under $2000.
These days you have to pay someone to come take it off your hands ! ...LoL
Link please?
Apr 3, 2010
311 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal
setlist wrote: Well it worked out! Bought a US$156 part and I got my 80" TV working and put back together myself!

https://www.cradeal.com/sharp-runtka903 ... -3230.html
It remains to be seen if the PSU failure was the symptom or the cause...I had to change the PSU 2 times on a TV (the PSU would last on average only 1 yr). The root of the problem can stem from one of the other board.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
setlist wrote: Well it worked out! Bought a US$156 part and I got my 80" TV working and put back together myself!

https://www.cradeal.com/sharp-runtka903 ... -3230.html
That is $213cad less labour and shipping that could have gone to a new 4K TV, now your stuck with a 1080p 80" ...LoL Not that I don't repair things, but at a certain point it's just not worthwhile to repair anymore !
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
790 posts
1209 upvotes
BC
butor20077 wrote: It remains to be seen if the PSU failure was the symptom or the cause...I had to change the PSU 2 times on a TV (the PSU would last on average only 1 yr). The root of the problem can stem from one of the other board.
Yikes - I didn't think of that to be honest. It lasted me 8 years the first time and I was hoping a repair would extend it a few more.
EdT586 wrote: That is $213cad less labour and shipping that could have gone to a new 4K TV, now your stuck with a 1080p 80" ...LoL Not that I don't repair things, but at a certain point it's just not worthwhile to repair anymore !
Totally agree - it was just the idea of creating all that waste without trying that got me. I might give it to a friend as a gift and still buy myself a new one if I see a good deal this black friday. Shipping was free, labour was my own and I enjoyed the task.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
setlist wrote: Yikes - I didn't think of that to be honest. It lasted me 8 years the first time and I was hoping a repair would extend it a few more.

Totally agree - it was just the idea of creating all that waste without trying that got me. I might give it to a friend as a gift and still buy myself a new one if I see a good deal this black friday. Shipping was free, labour was my own and I enjoyed the task.
I have a Toshiba so called portable Betamax that cost me $2800 back in 1980, it needs to be repaired because all the rubber belts dried up and broke off, today no one would even pay $5 for a 2005 VHS VCR even.
I can't believe people still repair this even though I still have it in the shed somewhere ! ...LoL

[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
790 posts
1209 upvotes
BC
Old thread but in case someone was wondering - the TV is going strong through heavy use still =)
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10132 posts
4411 upvotes
Vaughan
setlist wrote: Old thread but in case someone was wondering - the TV is going strong through heavy use still =)
Good for you. I was going to suggest 'fix it'. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3127 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
setlist wrote: Old thread but in case someone was wondering - the TV is going strong through heavy use still =)
Sidegrading your TV for $1k vs fixing it for $250? You made the right choice. Your TV also lasted 8 years already, and I'd assume with the new part, it is likely to outlive most of the TVs available today.

Plus, gotta feel good helping your $4.5k investment last.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1089 posts
1371 upvotes
Westmount, QC
It's always nice to get the new flashy thing, but when you can repair and you are still fine with what you got, I don't see why you would change. You should totally start watching for a new TV though, the features you want, the prices, etc in case the one you got breaks down again.

I had a Panasonic plasma 46'' that I LOVED a couple years ago. She suddenly stopped working so I bought a cheap 55'' Haier for 500$ at Costco, but I didn't get rid of the plasma right away. Eventually I tried to repair the Panasonic and after doing a bit of research I found the problem. It didn't even cost me a penny to repair, and it worked. Brought back the 55'' at Costco and decided to enjoy my plasma again a little bit, and I used that time to research new TVs because I didn't want to end up with a dead TV and stuck buying what's available. Couple months later I made the switch to my OLED B7 and gave my plasma to my mom. Almost 3 years later and the plasma is still going strong.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12991 posts
7772 upvotes
Brampton
Glad you decided to fixed it and it's still working.

I fixed up an LG 55" 3D smart TV that I got for free because it had a couple dead LED strips. Soldered up new LEDs.

Made me realize I would never want to get an LG smart TV. The smarts are completely out of date and the last update borked the 2.4Ghz radio (no wifi no BT no smart remote) and was never fixed.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1089 posts
1371 upvotes
Westmount, QC
tebore wrote: Glad you decided to fixed it and it's still working.

I fixed up an LG 55" 3D smart TV that I got for free because it had a couple dead LED strips. Soldered up new LEDs.

Made me realize I would never want to get an LG smart TV. The smarts are completely out of date and the last update borked the 2.4Ghz radio (no wifi no BT no smart remote) and was never fixed.
Haha I have to say, I love the WebOS interface and between all the interface I tried (WebOS, Fire Stick, Roku, Android) it's the one I love the most. The only one I never tried is Tizen, but I probably never will try it anyway.
Dec 10, 2003
561 posts
17 upvotes
I fixed up a TV as well and it is still working..
I would like a bigger TV...you wanna sell your 80"?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12991 posts
7772 upvotes
Brampton
theXshape wrote: Haha I have to say, I love the WebOS interface and between all the interface I tried (WebOS, Fire Stick, Roku, Android) it's the one I love the most. The only one I never tried is Tizen, but I probably never will try it anyway.
It's nothing special. It's pretty slow compared to say a Mi-box or Shield.

The major problem is the apps are out of date. And because the update pooched the remote it's a pain in the ass to use. I'm using it with a Mibox and Logitech remote.
If I paid the $2000 for this thing back in 2013 I'd be pretty pissed how this TV ended up burnt out and how half the features don't work anymore because of a botched update and LG never bothered to fix it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9177 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
The pleasure you get every time you switch it on - priceless!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1089 posts
1371 upvotes
Westmount, QC
tebore wrote: It's nothing special. It's pretty slow compared to say a Mi-box or Shield.

The major problem is the apps are out of date. And because the update pooched the remote it's a pain in the ass to use. I'm using it with a Mibox and Logitech remote.
If I paid the $2000 for this thing back in 2013 I'd be pretty pissed how this TV ended up burnt out and how half the features don't work anymore because of a botched update and LG never bothered to fix it.
To be honest, I don't think a lot of 2013 smart TVs have operational apps in 2020. But I feel you for the botched firmware update...