• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 1:57 pm
[OP]
Feb 1, 2011
61 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga

Fixing Drain Valve Hot Water Tank

Bought out my rental 12 year old hot water tank about a month ago and discovered today that the drain valve is leaking! Determined to keep this tank for at least another year. Is this an easy DIY job or should I hire someone?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3478 posts
1897 upvotes
Woodbridge
Replacing the drain valve is not a big job as long as you do not break it in the water heater. You can simply lock the water pressure ( no need to drain the whole tank ) by shutting the cold water inlet on the water heater. Make sure no one turns any tap on or flushes the toilet while you are changing the drv. Once water is locked, have another drv ready in hand. Slowly unscrew it making sure it does not break on you. Once old drv is out, you can quickly install a new one.
Follow these steps ONLY if your basement is not finished or any leaks will not result in substantial damage around. Always know the location of your main water shut off in case of emergencies.
Remember things always look easier from a professional's perspective but it totally depends upon your own skills.
IMO it's not worth spending money to call a pro for this job on 12 years old tank ( who knows how much will it last)
If the tank is power vented, do not forget to unplug it before you start repairs.
tinyterror wrote: Bought out my rental 12 year old hot water tank about a month ago and discovered today that the drain valve is leaking! Determined to keep this tank for at least another year. Is this an easy DIY job or should I hire someone?
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Feb 1, 2011
61 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
newlyborn wrote: Replacing the drain valve is not a big job as long as you do not break it in the water heater. You can simply lock the water pressure ( no need to drain the whole tank ) by shutting the cold water inlet on the water heater. Make sure no one turns any tap on or flushes the toilet while you are changing the drv. Once water is locked, have another drv ready in hand. Slowly unscrew it making sure it does not break on you. Once old drv is out, you can quickly install a new one.
Follow these steps ONLY if your basement is not finished or any leaks will not result in substantial damage around. Always know the location of your main water shut off in case of emergencies.
Remember things always look easier from a professional's perspective but it totally depends upon your own skills.
IMO it's not worth spending money to call a pro for this job on 12 years old tank ( who knows how much will it last)
If the tank is power vented, do not forget to unplug it before you start repairs.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1431 posts
445 upvotes
Vancouver
Use the below, which is the simplest fix and cap it against the drain valve to stop the leak. Don't use the one from Rona. I had a similar issue. Bought the one from Rona, and it simply doesn't work.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux- ... 1001002108

If you are replacing the drain valve. Why not drain all water out and shut down the water for extra safety? don't take a chance for major leak.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2011
61 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
Fantastical wrote: Use the below, which is the simplest fix and cap it against the drain valve to stop the leak. Don't use the one from Rona. I had a similar issue. Bought the one from Rona, and it simply doesn't work.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux- ... 1001002108

If you are replacing the drain valve. Why not drain all water out and shut down the water for extra safety? don't take a chance for major leak.

Thanks for the info. Going to need to replace the drain altogether. Any suggestions for someone if I have to go to plan B and hire someone to fix?
May 9, 2014
166 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you choose to drain it then you get a chance to flush it as well. Change the anode rod while you're at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4259 posts
2796 upvotes
Martyji wrote: If you choose to drain it then you get a chance to flush it as well. Change the anode rod while you're at it.
On a 12 year old tank that is hanging on its last legs. If you are going through all that trouble to drain it you might as well suck it up and replace the entire tank now and have some peace of mind for the next 12 years?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)