September 7, 2020
Retailer:
FJCANADA
All Kånken Family Products are on sale - 20% Off

• Over 39 different Kanken styles in multitude of colors
  • Free Shipping $35+
  • Sale ends Monday Sept.7th

What is Kanken?

The Fjällräven Kånken is Fjällräven's best-selling product. It was originally developed as a reaction to the increasing number of reports that Swedish school children were developing back problems from their more traditional bags. The lightweight and rectangular yet spacious backpack, which was released in 1978, was Fjällräven's attempt to solve this problem. Explore our wide assortment of the Fjallraven Kånken product! Choose between different sizes, colours and materials - but still with the same iconic look as the classic from 1978.

Kanken Art Laptop

7323450489199_ss19_srra_kanken_art_laptop_15_fjaellraeven_21_1.jpg

Kanken Regualar
23510-525_1.jpg

Kanken Mini

kanken_mini_23561-457_a_main_fjr_1_1.jpg
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8412 posts
1308 upvotes
Vancouver
Final sale as an FYI
Autocorrect sucks
Aug 29, 2018
279 posts
291 upvotes
Reminder that IKEA now sells very similar backpacks (without branding).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14291 posts
5496 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought one of the Kanken Minis for my child during a Sportchek sale and it's meh, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another one. There isn't really anything about it that makes it ergonomic or comfortable. It has thin straps. There is a foam insert in the back of the backpack which is removable and you aren't supposed to throw it out, and I almost did thinking it was just temporary padding to keep the shape of the pack in store displays. To me, it's really mostly just a fashion item...you buy it for the branding

Some of the other Fjallraven backpacks are a lot more functional and comfortable. I have a Raven 28 backpack and I liked it a lot. It looks understated and has a lot of good compartments and pockets. I used it as a carryon bag and it held a lot of things.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4416 posts
2504 upvotes
I didn't understand the big appeal of it, but the shape of it makes great sense and really handy for airport travel (remember that?). I can stuff a whole jacket/hoodie in, tablet, laptop and doesn't feel ridiculously large.
Feb 19, 2010
502 posts
183 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Does anyone know where the Kanken is made? I’m assuming China or a SE Asian country
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1377 posts
561 upvotes
bhrm wrote: I didn't understand the big appeal of it, but the shape of it makes great sense and really handy for airport travel (remember that?). I can stuff a whole jacket/hoodie in, tablet, laptop and doesn't feel ridiculously large.
I'm sure scandanavians don't really understand the hype for fjallraven stuff. to them, it's just another brand that's nothing near the status it's gotten in North America.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4416 posts
2504 upvotes
Clement wrote: I'm sure scandanavians don't really understand the hype for fjallraven stuff. to them, it's just another brand that's nothing near the status it's gotten in North America.
To them it was the standard backpack for kids lol. I'm sure their kids think it's boring and lame, and rather have something else that's not so functional.

Much like Canada Goose and similar parkas in general, I remember back in high school we called it the grandpa jacket and goose jackets were $250-300 each.