• Aug 1st, 2020 8:56 am
Tags:
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9960 posts
4243 upvotes
Vaughan
I would give them away. They are old, will look older, don't look right for your new built.
Mar 22, 2020
43 posts
49 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
Put them up on Kijiji for free and start fresh with what you want from the get-go
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
I don't really get the people who saying give it away...why? Fresh start? Really? I guess some people just have money to throw away too. Flag stones (different sizes and shapes) can be used for multiple purposes such as gardens and pathways. I wouldn't give them away until after your build is finished because you'll probably have a better sense of what to do. Also, no need to give them away, people will buy them on kijiji unless you're feeling generous.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
207 posts
37 upvotes
If I want a "natural" look with moss growing in between the cracks, does anyone have experience with this? Will weeds start invading the moss? I was hoping to minimize the amount of work I have to do. Thanks, (besides filling in the cracks)

Thank you all for your input.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
leafsnation98765 wrote: If I want a "natural" look with moss growing in between the cracks, does anyone have experience with this? Will weeds start invading the moss? I was hoping to minimize the amount of work I have to do. Thanks, (besides filling in the cracks)

Thank you all for your input.
Are you sure you mean moss? Is this going to be a relatively wet area? Perhaps you mean grass like in this pic?
Images
  • 20200731_100801.jpg
Oct 27, 2009
661 posts
445 upvotes
Hamilton
People give flagstone away all the time. Just check Kijiji.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7799 posts
6242 upvotes
Ottawa
Good flagstone lasts for decades. OP, it's hard to know how to advise you as we do not know condition, thickness, how the flagstone is adhered to the porch, etc.

I have a lot of flagstone at my place, some of it is loose-laid, some of it is bedded on a packed crushed aggregate base, and some is mortared onto a concrete walkway/steps base. The former requires the least amount of work to maintain and the latter the most. The loose-laid stuff is just sunk into the soil and has irish moss growing in the gaps between the stones and it's a nice look. But the ground moisture is slowly softening the flagstone. That being said, after 15 years now, it still looks good. The stuff on the crushed aggregate base uses polymeric sand between the stones, and the mortared is gapped with mortar and has required periodic attention and repairs. I have had to lift and re-mortar the odd stone.