[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2930 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto

Flair Airlines (ULCC) Thread

Press Release

This morning, Flair Airlines announced that they would be adding 13 Boeing 737 MAX 8s to their fleet, and they also unveiled a revised livery for these brand new aircraft!

According to Flair, this is part of the airline's ambitious goal of adding 50 aircraft over the next 5 years. Certainly an exciting development for Canadian aviation either way!
Last edited by Dhanushan on Feb 25th, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5359 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
This is definitely great news. I flew a lot within Canada last year because of the nuisance of having to quarantine when traveling abroad, and it made me appreciate how many great destinations we have. Considering that it's iffy that Air Canada and WestJet will survive at all with these crazy government restrictions in place, adding another option definitely doesn't hurt.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Adding aircraft to a fleet? In a stale air travel situation?
Are they hoping for airline bail outs from the Feds?? LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4701 posts
3802 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Adding aircraft to a fleet?
Are they hoping for airline bail outs from the Feds?? LOL
probably got a really good deal at firesale prices from Boeing lol... can i trade aircrafts like GME stock lol?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton
StatsGuy wrote: probably got a really good deal at firesale prices from Boeing lol... can i trade aircrafts like GME stock lol?
https://cms.flyflair.com/uploads/25d1d5 ... f8d4bd.pdf
"Flair will lease the initial 13 aircraft from one of its significant financiers, 777 Partners, who recently entered into an
agreement with Boeing for 24 new Boeing 737-8 aircraft along with options to purchase another 60 737-8 aircraft."

Spirit, Allegiant and Ryanair are successful Ultra Low Cost Carriers by flying short distances where people aren't willing to pay for premium service. No clue how they will make it work with the 737 Max, that are optimized for longer distances, much less with leased planes. WOW and Norwegian failed miserably at it. Add to that factors like proximity to cheaper American airports that don't have curfews, and I don't know where they will find a niche. Cuba and the Dominican Republic have regulatory hurdles. Cancun is open skies'ish, but it isn't a cheap destination from Canada, so people will hardly notice the price difference. You can make money flying intra-Canada in the summer, but the shoulder seasons are difficult and forget about the winter.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1357 upvotes
Scarborough
With expensive quarantine people still gonna fly? Stupid decision by stupid shareholders lol
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4734 posts
1144 upvotes
Scarborough
apnayloags wrote: With expensive quarantine people still gonna fly? Stupid decision by stupid shareholders lol
Flair only fly domestic...................
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton
GateGuardian wrote: Flair only fly domestic...................
They didn’t lease 737 Max to fly domestic. Few Canadians fly intra-Canada during the winter.

Ultra-Low Cost airlines in the USA depend a lot on visiting friends and family, where hotel costs aren’t an issue. I really don’t know how Flair will make it work. Perhaps US flights from Halifax and Alberta (far from US airports) to destinations with plenty of AiBNBs or snowbirds like Tampa and Phoenix.

Vegas or Cancun for a weekend wouldn’t be cheap, but the cost of the airline ticket would matter more than on a week’s vacation. Flair would need permission for most Mexican destinations but Cancun is pretty much free skies’ish. Flying to Mexico from Canada doesn’t have the same US tax disadvantage as flying to the USA.

Airline ticket costs are also more of a factor when traveling with kids, so I assume Orlando will enter the equation. But concentrating on airports without cheaper US alternatives (Saskatchewan, Alberta, Quebec City, Nova Scotia, Moncton, Charlottetown, Newfoundland).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Dec 28, 2011
962 posts
507 upvotes
Midland
Honestly. I flew Flair to Vancouver from YYZ - Flights were FULL to YYC then to YVR
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote: https://cms.flyflair.com/uploads/25d1d5 ... f8d4bd.pdf
"Flair will lease the initial 13 aircraft from one of its significant financiers, 777 Partners, who recently entered into an
agreement with Boeing for 24 new Boeing 737-8 aircraft along with options to purchase another 60 737-8 aircraft."

Spirit, Allegiant and Ryanair are successful Ultra Low Cost Carriers by flying short distances where people aren't willing to pay for premium service. No clue how they will make it work with the 737 Max, that are optimized for longer distances, much less with leased planes. WOW and Norwegian failed miserably at it. Add to that factors like proximity to cheaper American airports that don't have curfews, and I don't know where they will find a niche. Cuba and the Dominican Republic have regulatory hurdles. Cancun is open skies'ish, but it isn't a cheap destination from Canada, so people will hardly notice the price difference. You can make money flying intra-Canada in the summer, but the shoulder seasons are difficult and forget about the winter.
This is Flair attempt to stay in the news. In actuality, who is goign to loan or lease to a company that has had no income or cash flow for the past year. Financiers do not make foolish bets. Also, they will still have to get routes to use the aircraft and that is not a guarantee.
Open Skies is absolutely immaterial.
Your comment about low cost airlines is not valid in Canada. Most have failed not too long after start.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1125 posts
535 upvotes
If I had to guess F8, is doing pretty good throughout the COVID pandemic (compared to WS, WG, AC, AT) as they don't have any international routes. My understanding is that they have re-hired all employees that have been furloughed... can't say the same for the others. For now they have 3 Aircraft, and I'm curious what the expansion plan will look like. There is no way that it will be just domestic, with a expected fleet of this size.

I've flown on Flair many times over the years. Purchased the Unlimited Go Pass last year and other than the flights in April 2020 (12 passengers), they have been around 60% full.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2930 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
Flair is adding more routes

Flair Airlines expands with 8 new destinations across Canada
https://skiesmag.com/press-releases/fla ... ss-canada/
Flair Airlines, Canada’s only independent ultra low-cost carrier (ULCC), is expanding service and will bring low fare air travel to 18 Canadian destinations by summer. Service to four of the new destinations will begin in May with more added in the coming months as non-essential travel within Canada safely restarts.

Flair’s ambitious expansion focuses first on growing its domestic network. Flair’s network will expand beginning on May 1st as service is added to Ottawa, ON; Kitchener-Waterloo, ON; Halifax, NS; and Saint John, NB. Flair will add service in June to Thunder Bay, ON; and Charlottetown, PE; in July to Victoria, BC; and in August to Abbotsford, BC.
Mar 13, 2019
163 posts
98 upvotes
Oh great another pho budget airline, $10 cheaper than air canada for a flying greyhound bus with zero freebies.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9161 posts
1293 upvotes
Montreal, QC
lo23HH wrote: Oh great another pho budget airline, $10 cheaper than air canada for a flying greyhound bus with zero freebies.
As Gina Yashere once said, "no frills airlines are just trying to get the price low enough that you stop caring about dying".

"Bad safety record and poor customer service? But $50 to Europe? Sign me up!" :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2612 posts
527 upvotes
Around $120 return from YVR to Ottawa and Kitchener this summer. Great prices.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Deals Deals Deals wrote: Around $120 return from YVR to Ottawa and Kitchener this summer. Great prices.
Where is that deal?
Jul 30, 2015
753 posts
678 upvotes
Another JetsGo...
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
Deals Deals Deals wrote: I used the fare calendar on their website.
Plus $60 for a bag and carry on and only if there are actually aircraft by then and approvals for flights and he airline is in business LOL
I think their schedule proposals are still a wish list.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1182 posts
247 upvotes
Gatineau
So anyone would dare plan a vacation with Flair flights?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)