• Feb 13th, 2020 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8753 posts
4368 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Flair out of Abbotsford

Seems the WS-WO tag team as been successful driving Flair out of Abbotsford (in/by June). Abbotsford to Kelowna, Calgary, Winnipeg and Calgary will be abandoned.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Seems getting out of some routes from Abbotsford has opened doors for Flair to Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax.
Introductory offers include $59 one-way flights between Ottawa and Toronto, and $79 for one-way flights from Ottawa to Halifax.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/low-cost-airl ... -1.4808873

I think it is a matter of how many aircraft they have and what is most profitable for them.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1666 posts
439 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I wonder how long it will take before Swoop will also be flying from Edmonton to Ottawa.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8753 posts
4368 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
knuks101 wrote: I wonder how long it will take before Swoop will also be flying from Edmonton to Ottawa.
Yep, drop Edmonton - Abbotsford and hound Flair out of the skies. I suspect Competition Bureau won't do anything until Flair is gone.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2571 posts
3919 upvotes
West
I am a fairly loyal WestJet flyer, but I find it ironic they were in Flair's position in the early 2000s versus Air Canada, and were up in arms about A/Cs pricing wars. Seems like they're doing the exact same thing to Flair and have quickly forgotten the past.

Sad to see Flair losing out of YXX, YYJ & YHM, especially since competition does indeed drive prices lower. I remember flying YYJ-YEG for <$150 return. There have been some pretty impressive fares since Flair picked up the YVR-YYZ route, so hopefully they can still flourish.

In reality, there's no way to compete with such a big giant that has the capital to offer $1 fares. Capitalism at its finest.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
thriftshopper wrote: Yep, drop Edmonton - Abbotsford and hound Flair out of the skies. I suspect Competition Bureau won't do anything until Flair is gone.
Why do you say that? It may very well be a business decision for Flair.
They only have so many aircraft (7 or maybe 8 now) and using them on the new longer routes may be why they dropped small short routes.
Maybe the routes they dropped did not have the capacity to support 3 or more airlines and why not bail out on them?
The new routes are always full so they do have the capacity.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8753 posts
4368 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pete_Coach wrote: Why do you say that? It may very well be a business decision for Flair.
Read it all here

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... abbotsford

WS never flew the route and only started with WO when Flair entered the market. You can bet they'll now divert their attention to where Flair goes.

Predatory pricing was often used to drive small, new competitors out of the sky south of the border. I haven't examine or followed fares but one of the select favourites was bracketing. If the small competitor had one flight, the major incumbent would slot a couple of flights just before and after the new entrant's flight, and only offer cheap fares for those two flights. NorthWest used to do it to Sun Country trying to drive it out of MSP but decided (as did Delta) it was better to live with a small pest than have a big one (i.e., SouthWest) come and take its place.

Rememeber it was WS who drove CP out of the market in western Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1596 upvotes
does it matter?
Off-topic but guys how is this Flair airline. I know AC/Westjet but never used flair.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
thriftshopper wrote: Read it all here

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... abbotsford

WS never flew the route and only started with WO when Flair entered the market. You can bet they'll now divert their attention to where Flair goes.

Predatory pricing was often used to drive small, new competitors out of the sky south of the border. I haven't examine or followed fares but one of the select favourites was bracketing. If the small competitor had one flight, the major incumbent would slot a couple of flights just before and after the new entrant's flight, and only offer cheap fares for those two flights. NorthWest used to do it to Sun Country trying to drive it out of MSP but decided (as did Delta) it was better to live with a small pest than have a big one (i.e., SouthWest) come and take its place.

Rememeber it was WS who drove CP out of the market in western Canada.
"In 2018, the Competition Bureau launched an ongoing predatory pricing investigation into Swoop and WestJet over allegations the two carriers used anti-competitive practices to crowd out Flair from at least three routes. " Looks like Flair lost?
"Flair says it will use its two freshly freed-up planes to add new flights to Ottawa, Saint John, N.B., Charlottetown and Halifax."

So, they decided to quit those routes and move to other routes. Still sounds like a business decision to me.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2454 posts
3228 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: I am a fairly loyal WestJet flyer, but I find it ironic they were in Flair's position in the early 2000s versus Air Canada, and were up in arms about A/Cs pricing wars. Seems like they're doing the exact same thing to Flair and have quickly forgotten the past.

Sad to see Flair losing out of YXX, YYJ & YHM, especially since competition does indeed drive prices lower. I remember flying YYJ-YEG for <$150 return. There have been some pretty impressive fares since Flair picked up the YVR-YYZ route, so hopefully they can still flourish.

In reality, there's no way to compete with such a big giant that has the capital to offer $1 fares. Capitalism at its finest.
They haven't forgotten, they're simply applying the lesson they remember so well.

WestJet was also 3-4x the size of Flair by 2000. Also at the time, the move by WestJet on pricing complaint against AC was not about survival - WestJet was turning a very good profit, AC was losing something like $1M/day - it was more about being a thorn in AC's side and PR.