Ongoing Deal Discussion

Flash Food app - Purchase nearly expired food at a discount (Loblaws, etc).

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 1:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7852 posts
1543 upvotes

Flash Food app - Purchase nearly expired food at a discount (Loblaws, etc).

Deal Link:
Flash Food app

checkout what loblaw (real canadian, No frills etc) is clearing out and buy. It includes food close to the best before date, while others aren't until 2020. Price ranges from 50%-80+% discount. it appears to be store specific, discounts are okay here, but lower pricesaq at others. it was salad greens and veggies, but now has added crackers, granola bars, yogurt, cookies, Yves vegan, chips, and other things. Most things outside of veggies and meats the "best before" doesn't have much meaning for awhile at least. You buy online then pickup at customer service

Very store specific. it changes often, new stuff added every couple days. There is an offer to get $5 after someone refers you (not allowed to post a link here) after you spend .50.

** Though you want to sign up after getting a referral **

Mod Reminder: To keep this thread from getting locked, do not ask for a referral or state that you have one to give.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 23rd, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
211 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1689 posts
717 upvotes
I'm a bit confused about how to use this.

The apps says you buy and pay online and then pick it up from customer service, but doesn't look like a standard loblaws app where you can log in and pay with your account. How does loblaws know you paid for the item? How do they keep track of inventory?

Can you share some of your experiences? The concept sounds good though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7852 posts
1543 upvotes
I believe it is owned by someone else, and they have signed up Loblaw so far. You checkout on the app, put it on your credit card. Then go in and get it, they lookup your name on their phone and confirm, and you are charged. If you don't, you aren't charged. they have fridge and a shelving unit for just this. Used it 3 times, no problem at all.

They used to have a small shelf in store with clearance stuff mostly marked 50% off, but no price. That stuff is now going on to flash food, plus refrigerated
Last edited by zoro69 on Jul 22nd, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2708 posts
1313 upvotes
Montreal
I've used it several times myself.

Most times, they don't even know how it works, but still give you your items no fuss. But they forget to complete the transaction. I still have 2 pending orders from weeks ago I have already picked up..

But good deals to be had for sure.

Inventory is managed by the Loblaws staff member that enters in the products in the Flashfood inventory themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5195 posts
854 upvotes
Pretty cool idea. But as it gets more popular the discounts will probably decrease as people will be willing to buy for less of a discount.
May 18, 2007
546 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
This is such a great idea, I really hope it takes off!

Fun fact: grocery stores throw away more than a third of all the fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat that you see on the shelf EVERY SINGLE DAY - EVERY GROCERY STORE!
Nov 17, 2014
350 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used this app a few months ago, they only had one store in the GTA, now a ton are on board.
Some decent savings to be had, here and there.
Aug 22, 2009
245 posts
145 upvotes
Ottawa
I hope this doesn’t at all!

I usually go to the stores (Loblaws, superstore, etc) and search for the discounted deals. Usually 50-60 percent of my cart has 50% off items.
If they are just going to move this to an app, then there will be significantly less discounting, resulting in less savings for the people who actually take the time and hunt it down.

I’ve already seen one of these fridges in Superstore Westboro, so I definitely don’t look for discounts there anymore.
Jul 14, 2019
18 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the * is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1305 posts
695 upvotes
GiantTurtle wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:46 pm
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the **** is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
Um, more eyes on products they likely will be discarding soon = less likely to throw away the $$ spent on their cost perhaps?
Dec 6, 2009
107 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
GiantTurtle wrote:
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the **** is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
less food waste is a good thing to strive for. Grocery stores dumpster tonnes of edible food because they don't sell it before expiry and most don't let employees take it home, so it goes straight in the trash.

Canada should look to France and what food waste laws have done to help out with this issue: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... xcess-food
May 24, 2017
268 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
GiantTurtle wrote:
It so they can sell expiring products quicker. I like to get a deal, but I do not have time to go to each department to see what be marked down. This will save time and effort. It's new to Loblaws, but the company behind it have done it in other countries quite successfully. It's a win win. We see what is available, order and pick up. Loblaws sells it instead of risking the item actually hitting expiry date and throwing it away.

Can't wait to try it. Downloading the app now !
Dec 18, 2018
26 posts
14 upvotes
For people do not know.

From Canadian Food Inspection Agency,

best-Before date is the period which the product will retain its freshness/ taste/ nutritional value/ other quality claimed by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with spoiled or bad food. It is not illegal to sell products after best-before date.

Expiration date are required on certain foods that have strict compositional and nutritional specification. It is illegal to sell a product after its expiration date.

I think this app is pretty good for people want to buy extra discount product without going to the store all the time.
May 24, 2017
268 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
ottawa_guy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:40 pm
I hope this doesn’t at all!

I usually go to the stores (Loblaws, superstore, etc) and search for the discounted deals. Usually 50-60 percent of my cart has 50% off items.
If they are just going to move this to an app, then there will be significantly less discounting, resulting in less savings for the people who actually take the time and hunt it down.

I’ve already seen one of these fridges in Superstore Westboro, so I definitely don’t look for discounts there anymore.
The prices in the app reflect 50% discount and more. I think that is pretty standard discounting (the sticker in the store is usually 50% off as well). I bought many items in store with that sticker (50% off).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5932 posts
1713 upvotes
Montreal
slimysnot wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 1:24 pm
I'm a bit confused about how to use this.

The apps says you buy and pay online and then pick it up from customer service, but doesn't look like a standard loblaws app where you can log in and pay with your account. How does loblaws know you paid for the item? How do they keep track of inventory?

Can you share some of your experiences? The concept sounds good though.
The cashier at the service counter will have a list with the orders made. I was asked to give my name and that's it, nothing else.