Ongoing Deal Discussion

Flash Food app - Purchase nearly expired food at a discount (Loblaws, etc).

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 9:16 am
Tags:
Dec 17, 2017
70 posts
43 upvotes
Last time I went. the pick up person couldn’t find their food so superstore just went and got stock from aisles so in that sense person got non expired food!.
litebrite wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 4:43 pm
Yup, I totally agree. Went to pick up my items from another location and this time, the fridge and shelf was just after the checkout lanes, easily accessible. Away from the exit and customer service though.

I guess they figured the chances of flashfood items being stolen isn't worth the customer service staff's time to physically retrieve orders.

Are other location flashfood fridges/shelves not easily accessible to customers?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2791 posts
392 upvotes
Vancouver
aphextwin wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 10:24 pm
Last time I went. the pick up person couldn’t find their food so superstore just went and got stock from aisles so in that sense person got non expired food!.
That's pretty generous of superstore. I was picking up my FF order tonight and it seemed like the person in front of me couldn't find the exact item he paid for and customer service was telling him refunds are issued via the app.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2733 posts
623 upvotes
My local store has way more stuff on the app then when this thread started, tempted to order some sausage to freeze or the "Produce Mystery Box" lol
Feb 2, 2017
499 posts
477 upvotes
it's terrible!

I bought something and it seems like no one knows what the heck is going on or what procedure to follow when I go to pick up.

also several items I paid for were no longer available for pick up in the app AFTER I already paid for them! Within 5 minutes of paying for them the app said items no longer available for pick up and I was never refunded!

I don't think I will be using these guys anymore!

Also you can just go into the flashfood fridge and take your stuff if no one knows what they're doing since you already paid for it
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12445 posts
2663 upvotes
Markham
l1197493 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 8:14 pm
it's terrible!

I bought something and it seems like no one knows what the heck is going on or what procedure to follow when I go to pick up.

also several items I paid for were no longer available for pick up in the app AFTER I already paid for them! Within 5 minutes of paying for them the app said items no longer available for pick up and I was never refunded!

Also you can just go into the flashfood fridge and take your stuff if no one knows what they're doing since you already paid for it
It varies quite a bit store to store. Most stores I've been to keep the FF fridges locked precisely for these reasons.
Feb 2, 2017
499 posts
477 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 10:29 pm
It varies quite a bit store to store. Most stores I've been to keep the FF fridges locked precisely for these reasons.
IMO it's just not cost effective.

Apparently the food in the fridge are pennies on the dollar if that. But the administration costs seem to be inefficient

For instance the food goes into the garbage if no one buys and if people do buy it it's only a few pennies, so there is no sense in locking up anything. They need an automated grab and go operation
May 24, 2017
286 posts
199 upvotes
GTA
l1197493 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 8:14 pm
it's terrible!

There should be an attendant to "check in" with. They will have your name on a list and the items you purchased. If you didn't get all your items, you are entitled to refund. I would not walk out of the store without all the items you paid for or a refund. Hopefully they will have better procedures for all items to be locked up. or better security. No one should be walk out of the store with any items without proof of payment.
Apr 18, 2017
100 posts
27 upvotes
Abbotsford
Just got myself a roast for $12! Hope it is actually there... fingers crossed!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2022 posts
446 upvotes
My negative experience with Shawnessy Superstore in Calgary is that I often see a good looking produce box when I am in store but I can't buy it, as it seems to be purchased already. I tend to only buy before seeing the items in person first.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1004 posts
636 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure if asked/answered but let's say someone didn't have this app and stumbled upon the Flashfood shelf for an item that's been discounted, can anyone just pick it up or do you have to purchase through Flashfood and then it'll be yours?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2058 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Alivenate wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 4:42 pm
Not sure if asked/answered but let's say someone didn't have this app and stumbled upon the Flashfood shelf for an item that's been discounted, can anyone just pick it up or do you have to purchase through Flashfood and then it'll be yours?
You have to order in advance through the app and prepay, once in store bring it to the customer service desk who will ask for your name scan the products and mark it picked up.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7960 posts
1618 upvotes
Good stuff these days

Just got 2 lbs organic nectarines for $2, Attitude stir fry for $2, NSFC red rind cashew cheese for $3 (reg 13.99!). Also got yves meat balls, chicken and lentil burgers at $3. They didn't have the lentil burger, so told me to go into the store and get them

A lot better then endless yogurt they had for awhile
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7960 posts
1618 upvotes
wow loblaws is stepping up on flash food, just ordered 1 kg of unsalted jalapeno almonds for $1, and 2.9 kg bulk of this central roast nut etc mix for $4 https://www.amazon.ca/Central-Roast-Ene ... B00PNP0G5G (which would be almost $100 on amazon!) . If I dont want it, the raccoons will eat well. And more nectarines. Check often what they have near you.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2077 posts
266 upvotes
Vancouver
I have still not actually used the app yet. My biggest issue with it is that they put packs of meat or boxes of produce on but they put no weight so I can't tell if I am really getting a good deal or not.
Dec 30, 2016
251 posts
181 upvotes
I might be crazy, but it seems to me that my local store at least tends to stock things that I purchase more. For example I always tend to stock up on pork, and it wasn't very often that I'd see it. But after I purchased all the pork last month(11 packs), they just kept stocking it with pork and bacon(which I always go and buy). It's interesting, maybe it's just the store itself but I know they have many other things that they mark down to 30% off before expiry that NEVER show up(like lamb and fish).

Anyway, I'd always find the 30% off stuff do this app works well for me. Would kill for some lamb and fish though.