Ongoing Deal Discussion

Flash Food app - Purchase nearly expired food at a discount (Loblaws, etc).

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 9:10 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2965 posts
490 upvotes
Cant seem to see anything worth while on this app. Weird concept!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1613 posts
460 upvotes
GiantTurtle wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:46 pm
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the **** is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
The reason is they can sell stuff at higher price in store and get rid of expired stuff elsewhere so less waste. Some store never sell expired stuff for cheap but rather throw them away instead.
Life is tough but so are you
Mar 4, 2018
112 posts
233 upvotes
I think this is a great idea purely for the fact that this app links grocery stores and their near-expired products to consumers that are looking for a deal.
Most people won't have the time to run around to every store to check every discount section, looking for a particular product.
This app will help deal-hunters save time AND reduce the wasted food generated from the store.
From the store's perspective, they would rather sell something at a heavy heavy discount, than to throw it out. It will help them recuperate some costs.

I think if the truth of the food/produce/grocery industry is revealed to the general public, we'd take a step back.
Frugal Fries - but en français
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5954 posts
1717 upvotes
Montreal
GiantTurtle wrote:
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the **** is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
I'm happy there are so many people like you who think that the dates on the label is some magic number and that the food will instantly turn bad after that date. I buy a lot of soon to "expire" meat and just store them in my freezer. Dairy products can also be good a week after the exp. date.
Jun 23, 2010
275 posts
139 upvotes
North York
I installed this app months ago when it first came out and it only had 1 or 2 stores in Toronto and uninstalled it. It has increased the number of stores a lot now and looks much more useful.
Sep 2, 2007
373 posts
115 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:36 pm
I'm happy there are so many people like you who think that the dates on the label is some magic number and that the food will instantly turn bad after that date. I buy a lot of soon to "expire" meat and just store them in my freezer. Dairy products can also be good a week after the exp. date.
I don't mind "expired" meat at all but I would rather freeze the fresh ones. The discount / browning ones I make immediately the same night or next.

Fruit - middle of the road but I tend to say no for the clearance items, especially when buying online. If it looks good in person then it's okay The taste is off and it's all soft to the touch so don't know if it's bruising (which also impacts the taste) or if it's going bad - yes it can be too ripe. Some of the oranges ones I see at T&T are already moldy. Some of the ones at No Frills are already rotten on the inside when they're fresh. They have the worst record for me for poorly sourced products. Small asian groceries have old fruit too and sometimes I see fruit flies gathering around. Sometimes I would get a big bag, cut away the brown parts and then throw it all in the juicer.. that's what I do with it rather than eating it.

Dairy - I don't consume enough to ever do this. But I imagine if it's capped and not opened the spoilage takes longer.
Jul 14, 2019
19 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Madevilz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm happy there are so many people like you who think that the dates on the label is some magic number and that the food will instantly turn bad after that date.
I never once said that. I am questioning the need for the overhead of not only the app itself but also the store's overhead of the employee who now has to deal with another fragmented shopping app just so someone can get a discount on something that was or already should be offered. I don't get how it would be worth it for Loblaws beyond more eyes as people say here. However expired food should be in limited supply, presumably, so I don't see the likelihood of people going out of their way to buy a single unit of cheese for 30% off. Now if they are selling whole boxes or pallets of expired cheese for 30% off I get that but I doubt that's the case, although I haven't used the app yet so maybe it is.
Dec 27, 2007
437 posts
173 upvotes
GiantTurtle wrote:
Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
Exposure is multiple times larger once the app signs up enough users. Before, only people that already happen to be in the store check out these clearance deals.
Now everyone with the app who is in the vicinity of the store during that day can do it and may come and buy the rapid sales thus clearing more stuff faster leading to less loss for Loblaws due to having to throw away less of the expiring food.
Think of if as GasBuddy for clearance food items lol
Last edited by kkostadinof on Jul 22nd, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1402 posts
811 upvotes
Ottawa
ottawa_guy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:40 pm
I hope this doesn’t at all!

I usually go to the stores (Loblaws, superstore, etc) and search for the discounted deals. Usually 50-60 percent of my cart has 50% off items.
If they are just going to move this to an app, then there will be significantly less discounting, resulting in less savings for the people who actually take the time and hunt it down.

I’ve already seen one of these fridges in Superstore Westboro, so I definitely don’t look for discounts there anymore.
The good thing about buying straight from the store is that you get to see its condition before buying it
warranthad wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:58 pm
less food waste is a good thing to strive for. Grocery stores dumpster tonnes of edible food because they don't sell it before expiry and most don't let employees take it home, so it goes straight in the trash.

Canada should look to France and what food waste laws have done to help out with this issue: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... xcess-food
France was even worse because they used to pour stuff over the food when they throw it to make it inedible and prevent people from taking it from the garbage
TimmyT20801 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:01 pm
For people do not know.

From Canadian Food Inspection Agency,

best-Before date is the period which the product will retain its freshness/ taste/ nutritional value/ other quality claimed by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with spoiled or bad food. It is not illegal to sell products after best-before date.

Expiration date are required on certain foods that have strict compositional and nutritional specification. It is illegal to sell a product after its expiration date.

I think this app is pretty good for people want to buy extra discount product without going to the store all the time.
They should just take that word away from a lot products
Aug 24, 2015
190 posts
618 upvotes
AB
canada_dry wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:35 pm
This is such a great idea, I really hope it takes off!

Fun fact: grocery stores throw away more than a third of all the fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat that you see on the shelf EVERY SINGLE DAY - EVERY GROCERY STORE!
True. When I worked at Cobs Bread when I was a teen, it killed my soul having to throw away all the leftover bread at the end of the day. I’m glad to see that there’s effort being made to reduce food waste and connect it to people who are hungry.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17062 posts
23518 upvotes
ONTARIO
Interesting app. Some of the stuff at my local Loblaws is really marked down cheap. Guess it's because the best before date is today (july 22nd). Some stuff was like 10 cents!
May 24, 2017
280 posts
199 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP for the posting ! I had heard about this in a business report on 680 News a few weeks back. Didn't know they had the app ready (this quickly).

And great job Loblaws for doing this ! If you could figure out a way to have PC Optimum Points mixed in (to pay or to get points) this would be awesome !
Aug 8, 2017
226 posts
91 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wow love the app. Just order a couple of rainbow trout for $8
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2602 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
I use the app everyday. Please remove OP so I can continue to hoard food.
Aug 21, 2011
811 posts
456 upvotes
Whitby
canada_dry wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:35 pm
This is such a great idea, I really hope it takes off!

Fun fact: grocery stores throw away more than a third of all the fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat that you see on the shelf EVERY SINGLE DAY - EVERY GROCERY STORE!
Yes, also if you return food products, even the untampered packaged ones are thrown out although the store refunds you. Once I bought 5-6 boxes of Ferrero Rocher as it was on sale, later I wanted to return two of it and I came to know of this through the CS at Walmart, it made me feel guilty. I thought she was bluffing but checked with two other Walmart stores and it is true.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram