Ongoing Deal Discussion

Flash Food app - Purchase nearly expired food at a discount (Loblaws, etc).

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 9:10 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4122 posts
2539 upvotes
The chicken breasts are around $5/lb. When they go on sale you could get them for less.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1896 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
This is brilliant!
There's even a referral program - anyone tried it?
Last edited by joo on Jul 22nd, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1784 posts
377 upvotes
WL1980 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 4:48 pm
The chicken breasts are around $5/lb. When they go on sale you could get them for less.
Walmart always has 5 breasts for $11 (or 10 for $20). You can often find packages that are 1.2kg, which works out to be $4.16/lb.
May 30, 2016
121 posts
165 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Saw a instagram add for this over the weekend. Checked out the app. It's mostly processed food unfortunately.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7899 posts
1580 upvotes
It varies. Lots of close to past the best before date veggies, and some meat (for those interested). It changes often. [removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 22nd, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not allowed
Feb 3, 2005
289 posts
32 upvotes
abshahul wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 4:43 pm
Yes, also if you return food products, even the untampered packaged ones are thrown out although the store refunds you. Once I bought 5-6 boxes of Ferrero Rocher as it was on sale, later I wanted to return two of it and I came to know of this through the CS at Walmart, it made me feel guilty. I thought she was bluffing but checked with two other Walmart stores and it is true.
The policy may be Walmart specific. I have seen various unopened chocolate boxes (e.g. Lindor, Ferrero Rocher) at Costco appearing weeks after Christmas and I bet they were returns.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18628 posts
6648 upvotes
Toronto
It's interesting that the local Loblaws is a participating store. I just be totally blind but I don't recall ever seeing these special shelves. They must be well hidden out of sight. I think I will give this thing a try. It looks like meats have one days to the best before day. That's plenty is time to consume provided no hoarding.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7899 posts
1580 upvotes
it is in the customer service room. It varies how long , from 1 day to week+, to months
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2605 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 5:00 pm
It's interesting that the local Loblaws is a participating store. I just be totally blind but I don't recall ever seeing these special shelves. They must be well hidden out of sight. I think I will give this thing a try. It looks like meats have one days to the best before day. That's plenty is time to consume provided no hoarding.
Picked up some today, lady in front had 12 packs of ground beef.
Jan 19, 2013
226 posts
65 upvotes
FrugalFrites wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:32 pm
I think this is a great idea purely for the fact that this app links grocery stores and their near-expired products to consumers that are looking for a deal.
Most people won't have the time to run around to every store to check every discount section, looking for a particular product.
This app will help deal-hunters save time AND reduce the wasted food generated from the store.
From the store's perspective, they would rather sell something at a heavy heavy discount, than to throw it out. It will help them recuperate some costs.

I think if the truth of the food/produce/grocery industry is revealed to the general public, we'd take a step back.
I do agree with you .. In spite of all the bad feedback , I do think this is a good idea , there are people who might be interested on this. I don't mind buying some fruit that expires in 2 days , for snacking at my work.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17069 posts
23526 upvotes
ONTARIO
How often do the stores update the stuff available? Once a day? Multiple times?

Mine seemed to have updated within the last hour. First time I checked it, was not a lot of fresh stuff at the local Zehrs. Just decided to have another look and now there's a bunch of fresh catfish/perch fillets listed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7899 posts
1580 upvotes
seem to be random when they do it. They are adding more items regularly. I check before heading to loblaw
Dec 15, 2006
683 posts
288 upvotes
Ottawa
I've used it a few times in the past week. I bought lean ground beef, pork tenderloin, turkey bacon, Angus burgers, bfast sausage all 50% off. Expires within 1-2 days (the turkey bacon was a week).

Lots of candy and chocolate bars. Yogurt is pretty safe too.

The Bells Corners store had produce. I left the bag of Gala apples bc some were rotten. I emailed and got a refund. Some soft yellow mangos but I ate one today and it was really sweet. Going forward I will stick to meat and non-perishables.

The process varies from store to store. In Kanata they look up your order and pick the items for you. In Bells Corners you collect the items yourself and take them to the CS desk for validation.
Oct 17, 2009
739 posts
1305 upvotes
GiantTurtle wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:46 pm
This is like dirtbag technology in a nutshell, why the **** is there demand for an app to buy expired food lol. Why would Loblaws partner with some stupid app developer to sell their own products in a more convoluted way? They already discount product like this, what possible benefit does this provide them?
Kinda feels like you either have no imagination or don't understand basic economics.
They want to sell near-expired products to recoup the base cost of their produce/veggies. They also want to lower their throw-out rate so they can report that they are more efficient (both to environmentalists, and their shareholders.)

The app is a great idea, and I hope it spreads to more chains. I'd be stoked to use this to stock up on preppable/freezer fodder.
Dec 1, 2010
10 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I work at a Loblaws. I will try to explain to the best of my ability with what I know/have been told.

This app is NOT a complete replacement for in-store clearance items. As others have said; it is a way to get more eyes on expiring items that would otherwise be thrown out. It's great for bargain hunters who don't want to waste time going to a store not knowing if there are clearance sales. For those of you who do prefer to drop in for deals, or just hate the idea of an app, there will still be clearance items put out on the floor.

The items are specifically uploaded by the departments and are considered 'sold' to Flash Food. This is why you don't see the shelves in store and if you see a fridge it is locked. The products are only available for Flash Food. Customers with the app purchase through the app, no money is exchanged between the customer and the store, you just give Customer Service your name and it will be in our store app where we just give you the items and mark it as complete.

IMPORTANT: Refunds DO NOT happen through the store. Loblaws policy is that clearance items are final sale anyways, but let's say there is a problem with your purchase or you've simply changed your mind the stuff you bought was technically purchased from Flash Foods and is out of Loblaws' hands.

Edit: Just to give an idea of what you could be getting. The meats will be the same as typical in store clearance; 50% off expiring in 1-2 days. Grocery items will also be pretty much the same as in store clearance; anywhere from 50-80% off.

Produce is a bit different from what I've seen; a box about a square foot and maybe 7 inches deep is filled with miscellaneous produce and is $5. The original value of the produce is supposed to be worth at least $10. Obviously depending on the produce this could be an amazing deal (One box had several mangos and passionfruit) or just a regular box full of apples which is just a bit less than buying a whole fresh bag.

[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 22nd, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: not allowed