• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2021 3:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43309 posts
7216 upvotes

Flashing MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi Motherboard to Support Ryzen 5600X

So I know that I can go to Canada Computers to flash my Motherboard BIOS to support the 5600X CPU.

I bought the CPU brand new in Feb/March and the Motherboard in June ish. Now I spoke to Canada Computers and they told me it is $50 to flash my motherboard in order to support the 5600X CPU. They told me to bring my RAM and CPU.

Question: How can they flash my motherboard with the 5600X CPU? Or are they asking the CPU so they can test the CPU after flashing with their own CPU?

If that is not an option, I know MSI you can flash the BIOS via USB. Latest BIOS update is June of this year as the September BIOS is a beta. There is a BIOS button on the Mobo itself

How successful can I flash the BIOS via USB with NO CPU, RAM on the MSI B550 Motherboard that I have? I heard stories where people tried flashing the BIOS via USB only and ran into issues where it would not flash.

I don't mind going to Canada Computers, but I don't want the risk of any damages on their end due to improper install or something.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B55 ... cification

Version of BIOS to flash for the 5600X CPU:

Version
7C90v17
Release Date
2021-06-30
File Size
17.78 MB

Proof of BIOS compatibility for the CPU:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support ... -block-qvl

Scroll down to the end in the above link

As always thanks guys.
Blanka
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1994 posts
1315 upvotes
From the manual:

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from

the MSI® website.
2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive.
3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU

and memory.)
4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port

on the rear I/O panel.
5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing.
6. The LED will be turned off when the process is completed