Food & Drink

Flat rice noodles are hard to find in stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2021 10:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
1001 posts
2175 upvotes
Toronto

Flat rice noodles are hard to find in stores?

Is it just me, or have flat rice noodles gone missing from grocery store shelves? I used to get T&T brand wide flat rice noodles from No Frills and Superstore, but I haven't seen them there in months. The other brands (Rooster, etc.) are gone too.

Any suggestions on where I can find them these days?
i am upside down
13 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
I think it is true but don’t know the cause.

This is even impacting Chinese restos....

Our local Chinese takeout place, I always order the beef ho fun and probably this last month.....they always say no “ho fun”.....

Weird....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31249 posts
17808 upvotes
Toronto
Really ? I see this ‘ho fun” available at Asian grocery stores I go to
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Really ? I see this ‘ho fun” available at Asian grocery stores I go to
yoooo where u atttttt?!!!???

which ones? Fresh or dry?

I wonder why my local chinese resto always says "no ho fun" - craving beef ho fun now!!!

Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3555 posts
3109 upvotes
GTA
Just bought some at my local Sobeys less than a month ago.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31249 posts
17808 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: yoooo where u atttttt?!!!???

which ones? Fresh or dry?

I wonder why my local chinese resto always says "no ho fun" - craving beef ho fun now!!!
fresh (wet) one in a package. I normally see them at Farm Fresh Supermarket (Brimley and Sheppard) in the morning time around 10-10:30am (weekend) and a few rare occasion that the guy just happened to deliver them at around that time. Mind you, I would say probably 8-10 packages at most, not a whole lot of them as the store may not sell that many anyway.
Mar 17, 2006
719 posts
183 upvotes
Markham
I too noticed a few supermarkets not having any stock of the 'sa ho fun'. This is at Foody, T&T, and the supermarket inside Peachtree.

What is the ho fun factory north of Markham Road and Sheppherd? I'd go there if they have a retail storefront.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48348 posts
11627 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
azndoughboi wrote: I too noticed a few supermarkets not having any stock of the 'sa ho fun'. This is at Foody, T&T, and the supermarket inside Peachtree.

What is the ho fun factory north of Markham Road and Sheppherd? I'd go there if they have a retail storefront.
I get the vibe they arent really meant for retail sales... but if you know about it, they’ll sell to you.
I just ask for however many pounds. Cash only. They round it up to the nearest dollar. No register. Just shoves it in her pocket. Lol. No smile no frills. Get your noodles and gtfo.

But it was cheap... i got pounds and pounds of noodles for just $2.00 i remember a big bag.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6354 posts
5408 upvotes
hmmm... seems to be on the shelves at grocery stores around markham/rhill. at least the ones I've been to recently (T&T at woodbine/16, full fresh across the street)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
1001 posts
2175 upvotes
Toronto
N8Magic wrote: Just bought some at my local Sobeys less than a month ago.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a Sobeys near me, but I went to Metro and I was able to find some there (but very few left). It's this kind.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3555 posts
3109 upvotes
GTA
umopapisdnwei wrote: Thanks for the tip. I don't have a Sobeys near me, but I went to Metro and I was able to find some there (but very few left). It's this kind.
The ones I purchased were very similar, if not the exact same ones.

My local Sobeys had plenty available at the time. Is there any particular reason for the shortage?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
whelp, my local Chinese resto must have read this thread.............

lo' & behold, I was able to order beef ho fun tonight!!

Yum yum yum!!!