Careers

Flaws that would make someone unemployable?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2012 10:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes

Flaws that would make someone unemployable?

It seems like there is a drastic increase in the number of complaints of people saying it's "impossible" to get a job. We should be asking ourselves then, are there factors that are indeed making it impossible for someone to get a job? And is there a way to overcome some or any of these problems?

-The most obvious thing that comes to mind is a criminal record. If you have one of these babies it's probably the kiss of death and reason why you find it impossible to get a job. Online applications are now screening out these people and as well companies are usually performing background checks. There are ways in some circumstances to get these erased, so maybe that should be looked into.

-Habitual bad interviewee and/or resume writer. No matter how many times you interview or write your resume, you are just employable because of the things you write or say (could be illegal things, personality problem, or just plain don't know what it means to be skilled at these). This problem is probably solved by going to a career centre and having your resume / interview skills looked at.

-Overqualified. I've heard numerous complaints about people with higher degrees such as M.Sc or Ph.Ds who can't find a job, because the hiring manager is intimidated by their credentials and fears for their job. Even a bachelors in engineering can be a death sentence. It's not uncommon for companies to receive hundreds, or sometimes even thousands of resumes, and not have anyone read their resume or recognize their skills.

- Too much confidence and/or in too good of shape. Interviewers are often intimated by people who are more charasmatic or confident than them and fear that they won't be able to control the employee or feel emascuated.

-Full heads of hair. This ties into my last point. The fat, bald and socially awkward interviewers are often intimidated by people who are in good shape and have full heads of hair.

With HR taking over and destroying companies these days, resumes are often filtered for the right buzz words and 'soft skills' rather than the technical abilities. Employers are often intimidated by people with more education and intelligence than them, and they are also intimidated by people with confidence who are in good shape and have full heads of hair. With the collapse of Nortel, the market is now flooded far past the saturation point and the likelihood of you winning the HR selection lottery recruitment process is almost nothing.
78 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
JK400 wrote: It seems like there is a drastic increase in the number of complaints of people saying it's "impossible" to get a job. We should be asking ourselves then, are there factors that are indeed making it impossible for someone to get a job? And is there a way to overcome some or any of these problems?
One thing that CAN be done to improve situation:

Stop blaming external factors that you have no control over and start improving things that you do have control over. Less whine, more self improvement
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
*sigh*, much of what you post aren't flaws, but rather, not having the right characteristics for the few jobs that happen to exist.

The RIM layoffees, are going to face huge problems. Most of them are being let go, not for underperformance, but rather, that they happen to be working on projects which are being cut and/or cancelled. Indeed, a lot of the people laid off at RIM are said to be entry-level or junior staff, which means that they'll have a resume which may only have a year or two of RIM service. Just look at the derision that folks on RFD have towards RIM's products, and you can only imagine what these folks will face in the job market.

Is it right that an employer might draw an inference from previous employment with RIM? Or Nortel? Of course not. But that is what is likely to happen (or did happen at Nortel).
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Mark and his ever-present Nortel sob story
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
damnos wrote: One thing that CAN be done to improve situation:

Stop blaming external factors that you have no control over and start improving things that you do have control over. Less whine, more self improvement
So you're saying folks should spend and borrow every last dime to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th degree (or whatever), to meet a market demand that might not exist?

A lot of people out there are trapped unfortunately. They have excellent qualifications in their field. They can add a lot of business value. They know that eventually the economy will turn around and demand will exist. But going into a lot of debt or burning through savings, to abandon their perfectly good qualifications, doesn't make a lot of sense.

For instance, nurses in the 1990s. The economy was horrible for them, and most of the jobs were part-time, casual, with hospitals preferring un-married "loners" because of their schedule flexibility. I guess a nurse could have re-trained as something else. But the situation turned around, and throughout much of the past decade, nursing has been a solid >$100k/year career.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
damnos wrote: Mark and his ever-present Nortel sob story
Whatever, I'm not even the OP, and the Nortel (and now RIM) devastation continues. You're completely out of touch if you don't think that the problems in Canada's industry haven't affected thousands of Canadians' lives, often those of some of our brightest scientists.

To the OP's point -- most of those characteristics don't make people 'unemployable', but rather, they make employment very difficult if not impossible. If there was a business revival in Canada and economic growth, then I'm certain those individuals would be sucked back into the fold at top dollar.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote: So you're saying folks should spend and borrow every last dime to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th degree (or whatever), to meet a market demand that might not exist?
Reading comprehension fail.
What part of my post said such thing?

That's all you do Mark, it's always someone else's fault, never yours

All you do is whine and re tell your Nortel sob story.
Dec 15, 2010
332 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
JK400 wrote: It seems like there is a drastic increase in the number of complaints of people saying it's "impossible" to get a job. We should be asking ourselves then, are there factors that are indeed making it impossible for someone to get a job? And is there a way to overcome some or any of these problems?

-The most obvious thing that comes to mind is a criminal record. If you have one of these babies it's probably the kiss of death and reason why you find it impossible to get a job. Online applications are now screening out these people and as well companies are usually performing background checks. There are ways in some circumstances to get these erased, so maybe that should be looked into.

-Habitual bad interviewee and/or resume writer. No matter how many times you interview or write your resume, you are just employable because of the things you write or say (could be illegal things, personality problem, or just plain don't know what it means to be skilled at these). This problem is probably solved by going to a career centre and having your resume / interview skills looked at.

-Overqualified. I've heard numerous complaints about people with higher degrees such as M.Sc or Ph.Ds who can't find a job, because the hiring manager is intimidated by their credentials and fears for their job. Even a bachelors in engineering can be a death sentence. It's not uncommon for companies to receive hundreds, or sometimes even thousands of resumes, and not have anyone read their resume or recognize their skills.

- Too much confidence and/or in too good of shape. Interviewers are often intimated by people who are more charasmatic or confident than them and fear that they won't be able to control the employee or feel emascuated.

-Full heads of hair. This ties into my last point. The fat, bald and socially awkward interviewers are often intimidated by people who are in good shape and have full heads of hair.

With HR taking over and destroying companies these days, resumes are often filtered for the right buzz words and 'soft skills' rather than the technical abilities. Employers are often intimidated by people with more education and intelligence than them, and they are also intimidated by people with confidence who are in good shape and have full heads of hair. With the collapse of Nortel, the market is now flooded far past the saturation point and the likelihood of you winning the HR selection lottery recruitment process is almost nothing.
Have to admit, your last two points did make me laugh. Sometimes I think you just like stirring the pot to get guys like Mark77 and syne to repeat their arguments ad nauseum.
Sep 14, 2008
768 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder if I'd get any sympathy points if I tell recruiters that my hair magically starts curling like an afro after it grows 2 cms and makes me look absolutely disgusting? I need to cut my hair every three weeks to not look like a werewolf in the office!
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
damnos wrote: Reading comprehension fail.
Brain failure on your part.
May 27, 2012
196 posts
1 upvote
Man, i've been really looking hard for a job but STILL no luck ( Literally everyday) . I applied to school website, talentegg, even kijiji for hope of any employment or internship. And now this is my last year, and most likely i will also be unemployed when i graduate. So much for U of T BBA.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
Mark77 wrote: Whatever, I'm not even the OP, and the Nortel (and now RIM) devastation continues. You're completely out of touch if you don't think that the problems in Canada's industry haven't affected thousands of Canadians' lives, often those of some of our brightest scientists.
* ten years ago
rfder0381 wrote: Have to admit, your last two points did make me laugh. Sometimes I think you just like stirring the pot to get guys like Mark77 and syne to repeat their arguments ad nauseum.
He doesn't even respond in threads anymore without amazingly subtle sarcasm. It's actually very funny. He straddles the line between sincerity and absurdity so well.
Mark77 wrote: Brain failure on your part.
Knowing you, calling some one unintelligent is the WORST insult EVAR... In your narrow definition of intelligence.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
rfder0381 wrote: Have to admit, your last two points did make me laugh. Sometimes I think you just like stirring the pot to get guys like Mark77 and syne to repeat their arguments ad nauseum.
That's exactly what he's doing and I'd gladly take the bait like Mark if this wasn't a JK400 thread!!!!

Can't troll a troll.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4056 posts
387 upvotes
wrote:nursing has been a solid >$100k/year career.
You're wrong. Nurses do not make more than $100k a year unless they work a significant amount of overtime.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
Finding a job is like dating: it depends on not just you but also the other person. Sometimes you're great (good looking, rich, etc) but the chemistry just isn't there. You could be a drug addict or a criminal and still find your soul mate. It's just that your chances are lower. All I can say is...unless you're physically/verbally assaulting the interviewer, I'm sure there's some generous person out there who can overlook your flaws. There are organizations whose existence is to give "flawed" people a chance to work and be productive. The factors OP listed will typically reduce the candidate's overall chances, but it doesn't reduce the chance to 0. But yea, if you're incredibly ugly, don't speak english well, have a criminal record, or whatever, it'll significantly reduce your chances.

Another thing to note is that many hiring decisions are not made consciously. Many cases of so called discrimination are much more passive and less sinister than you think. Reading various books on psychology would reveal that people will generally think of themselves as good people. Often people make a first impression and then subconsciously find reasons to reinforce that impression. I'm certain I've been beaten by another candidate due to age/race/gender or whatever and the interviewer didn't realize he/she did it. The interviewer probably subconsciously had an impression of people my age/race/gender. But of course there's no way to proof it and it's not practical to confront interviewers with this as a candidate.

It's sometimes true that being overconfident will not be well received by an insecure interviewer. But in general, I think showing the right level of confidence is an important skill. For example, you can try to test the waters by getting to know the company/manager in certain ways. This is the art of dealing with people. If you can't test the waters before the interview, you can give more neutral answers. If throughout the interview you gain insights into the interviewer's mentality, you can adjust your answers a bit. I think the real personality flaws are having a negative attitude and having a douche mentality. There's a "right" level of confidence that doesn't make you look like a douche bag.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9430 posts
1464 upvotes
You spot this? I think so too. JK400 is always out to troll and then troll some more.

Just because he is up there/sporting the goods and those two had the time of their lives in terms of career and sob stories. JK400 comes in to stir it a little just to have them come in to hijack it. The guy should just leave these topics alone, he is not really being constructive when start a thread that doesn't really add value. At least the HS kid is posting because he can't find a job. JK400 just here to rub it in.

Sometimes some people just have luck and sometimes they don't. That's all there is too it. The ones who have luck don't post here, because they are out making something out of themselves instead of whining here.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
Truemana wrote: * ten years ago
Wrong Truemana. The first of the Nortel layoffs began 10 years ago. And they've pretty much continued ever since.

A few folks went to RIM, but the rest of them are glutting up the other parts of the EE/ECE sector (which has also shrunk significantly). And that's not even counting the new grads or immigrants. Nor the Canadians who re-patriated themselves after they were replaced at outfits like Motorola, Qualcomm, etc., with guest workers in the USA.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: You spot this? I think so too. JK400 is always out to troll and then troll some more.

Just because he is up there/sporting the goods and those two had the time of their lives in terms of career and sob stories. JK400 comes in to stir it a little just to have them come in to hijack it. The guy should just leave these topics alone, he is not really being constructive when start a thread that doesn't really add value. At least the HS kid is posting because he can't find a job. JK400 just here to rub it in.

Sometimes some people just have luck and sometimes they don't. That's all there is too it. The ones who have luck don't post here, because they are out making something out of themselves instead of whining here.
WTF are you even talking about. This thread isn't a jab at anyone, the complaints here are almost universal.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
JK400 wrote: WTF are you even talking about. This thread isn't a jab at anyone, the complaints here are almost universal.
Yeah right JK400. I wasn't born yesterday, and much of what you claim is taken out of context from threads I've posted. For instance, my comments that really nerdy people tend to prefer to hire/hang out with their kind. Surely you would've seen this if you graduated high school.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
150 upvotes
How about BO?

Brush your teeth the morning of the interview. Take a shower. Put on deodorant. Nobody wants to hire some smelly mfer.