Careers

Flaws that would make someone unemployable?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2012 10:52 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 9, 2008
739 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
This is nothing new. The employed often make ad hominem personal attacks behind the reasons why a person may be underemployed/unemployed. All I can say is times have changed. The job market is not the same as it was 5-10 years ago when you landed that high paying government job.

As an example, for a decent entry level position, expect to be one of the 12 other people being interviewed for that job. Times are really tough out there right now.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
mastercool wrote: This is nothing new. The employed often make ad hominem personal attacks behind the reasons why a person may be underemployed/unemployed. All I can say is times have changed. The job market is not the same as it was 5-10 years ago when you landed that high paying government job.

As an example, for a decent entry level position, expect to be one of the 12 other people being interviewed for that job. Times are really tough out there right now.
Yeah no kidding, instead of being absolutely alarmed and shocked that top talent isn't even getting considered by Canadian businesses, the usual trolls just want to poke fun at the misfortune suffered by many individuals.

Certainly, if I was working, chances are, the company I worked for would have to hire a number of individuals to work in support of me. Probably a secretary, a few tradepeople and technicians. This would create more jobs. The more high-end labour is unemployed, the worse the economy will get.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote: Certainly, if I was working, chances are, the company I worked for would have to hire a number of individuals to work in support of me.
Lol ...
Mark77 wrote: The more high-end labour is unemployed, the worse the economy will get.
The high end labours are employed, the ones are unemployed are the ones who think they are high end.
Oct 24, 2005
990 posts
274 upvotes
They don't shower
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
JustMan wrote: Man, i've been really looking hard for a job but STILL no luck ( Literally everyday) . I applied to school website, talentegg, even kijiji for hope of any employment or internship. And now this is my last year, and most likely i will also be unemployed when i graduate. So much for U of T BBA.
So it looks like U of T BBA is not much better than any other U's BBA???
May 27, 2012
196 posts
1 upvote
smartcdn wrote: So it looks like U of T BBA is not much better than any other U's BBA???
indeed :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
137 upvotes
Everyone should be looking in Silicon Valley who's graduating with comp sci. Not one's hiring in Waterloo any more.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3447 posts
585 upvotes
GTA
smartcdn wrote: So it looks like U of T BBA is not much better than any other U's BBA???
If not complemented with work experience, any BBA (or degree for that matter), is useless.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
damnos wrote: The high end labours are employed, the ones are unemployed are the ones who think they are high end.
Wrong. Completely wrong.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
insurance1 wrote: Everyone should be looking in Silicon Valley who's graduating with comp sci. Not one's hiring in Waterloo any more.
Very little hiring going on down there. Some of the regions largest employers are dumping thousands.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Wrong. Completely wrong.
Mark77, the thing is, your posts basically show beyond a reasonable doubt that you haven't worked a day in your life and don't really understand what the workplace is like. For instance,
Mark77 wrote:
Certainly, if I was working, chances are, the company I worked for would have to hire a number of individuals to work in support of me. Probably a secretary, a few tradepeople and technicians. This would create more jobs.
Tells me (and everone else here who's employed) that you haven't had a job and live in a fantasy world where you bring what you imagine the workplace to be like to life. Just because you memorized your textbook knowledge in university to an acceptable standard doesn't mean you're a highly valued employee. So we know you think you're an amazing contribution to society, but your ignorance of what goes on in the workplace shows that these claims are unsubstantiated and probably delusions.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
Is that how you communicate in general? Got your engineer hat on and accuse others of being wrong? Big ol' penis match?

Just because your world contradicts this theory (as evidenced by your anecdotal-only evidence), doesn't mean your world reflects reality. You'll blame everyone, including fellow engineers, employers, the industry, immigrants, dumb power engineers, consulting engineers, managers, and HR, but absolutely refuse to entertain the idea that there's only one common denominator in your entire unemployment equation and that is you. Based upon how you communicate your condescending ideas on here, I'd say it's not very far fetched that you hold a large portion of blame for your career prospects.
Oct 20, 2010
492 posts
194 upvotes
Austin, TX
There is another flaw that wasn't mentioned that would make someone unemployable: a high sense of entitlement.

Plenty of employers get interviewees stumbling in to the panel feeling entitled, with a mentality as if they're owed this and that. Candidates inquiring, with a demanding tone, about fat indexed pensions, high wages inconsistent with the market rates, extended breaks (like the union-mandated ones) irrespective of certain specific work requirements, every other Friday off. Sick days and scheduling times that are easy to abuse. Huge vacations. High benefits like 100% coverage for broken nails, plastic surgery, massages. Entitlements to wear a burqa or niqab in professional client-facing positions. Arrogant demands for 10% wage increases per year; it ain't my problem if the company is going south, I'm entitled to the raise. Arrogant refusals to perform work outside the job description, lest the candidate shall be forced to carry anvils or sandbags, or heaven forbid, take out a trash bag blocking the way. Entitlements to put overpriced dinners, vices, and/or toys on the company tab. An entitlement treat work like a chore to be gotten over with so you can traipse around talking to trees, animals or whatever. Entitlements to come late for work and leave early at will. In certain wage jobs, entitlements to be paid for no work being done, when there is no work to be had for the day or time. Entitlements to climb the corpslave ladder based on seniority, NOT experience or hard work, and whatever other bestial wild thoughts that come out of the woodwork.

Who would want to hire people like that?

I've been told that certain employers immediately trash a candidate with a previous job from the public sector because they tend to be 'liabilities'; I've never been able ascertain this--it must be on a case-by-case basis--but I wouldn't be surprised after thinking about it. Also, I think the last paragraph of Summary Part 5 is somewhat relevant to this thread. There are shortcomings with companies too, the ones that hire the pathologically entitled.
The sea is behind you and the enemy is in front. — Tariq ibn Ziyad
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
flight878 wrote:There is another flaw that wasn't mentioned that would make someone unemployable: a high sense of entitlement.

Plenty of employers get interviewees stumbling in to the panel feeling entitled, with a mentality as if they're owed this and that.
Oh, absolutely! Everyone on RFD always forgets this one.

Often overlooked point right here!

*cough*
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
JK400 wrote: Tells me (and everone else here who's employed) that you haven't had a job and live in a fantasy world where you bring what you imagine the workplace to be like to life. Just because you memorized your textbook knowledge in university to an acceptable standard doesn't mean you're a highly valued employee. So we know you think you're an amazing contribution to society, but your ignorance of what goes on in the workplace shows that these claims are unsubstantiated and probably delusions.
Whatever JK400, but nice attempt at the trolls. It is a well known fact that businesses employ assistants, both technical and clerical, in support of the work of professionals. From what I've seen out there, the ratio is around 1:10 - 1:5 between professionals, and their support staff. And I have worked plenty. Not as much as I'd liked to have, but its fairly easy to see if you've actually been in the workforce, that assistants are employed for high-end professionals to maximize their value.

Quite frankly, if you're a professional, and you don't have support staff, then its really going to be hard to maximize your profit potential. An engineer that sits around typing letters and doing mainly clerical stuff rather than delegating such to a secretary -- shouldn't be surprised if his/her salary resembles that of a secretary more than a professional.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
Truemana wrote: Is that how you communicate in general? Got your engineer hat on and accuse others of being wrong? Big ol' penis match?
Again, nice try at the trolls, but I was responding to the bizarre claim that unemployment amongst high-end professionals is impossible -- it is very possible, and happens all the time as the economy re-organizes itself in different ways. The past decade, high-end engineering talent in the ECE area has been hit the hardest. The next decade, probably professionals another sector that's glutted up (real estate???).

I think you need to start looking at the context of your posts before you come out arms a'flailing, saying things that don't make sense, with no evidence whatsoever to back them up. Besides, despite being perfectly qualified, I, nor my classmates, rarely even get interviews, so if there was any personal flaws, they'd have to be apparent from my resume/cover letter alone -- and I've received nothing but compliments from those who have reviewed it. The 'common denominator' you speak of is the horrible labour market, and the positioning I happened to have chosen for it.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Truemana wrote: Is that how you communicate in general? Got your engineer hat on and accuse others of being wrong? Big ol' penis match?
At the high-end scale of intellectual level, skills and employability (according to Mark77), arguing a point and reasoning is sufficient by saying "wrong!" - case closed, Mark77 has put forth his judgement!
Shows you why exactly I was wrong: people who are unemployed (like Mark77) are actually smart rather than only think they are smart - just look at his response, such high level of intellectuality.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
The biggest turn off for me is people who come in not knowing or caring about the industry i.e they just want a paycheque and don't care about the work. We see so many people passionate about the industry it's easy to write-off someone who doesn't have it, and only cares about getting that 1st job and/or money. If after 4 years you don't have an inkling of what you want to work on, you wasted a lot of time and money.

Another flaw is coming unprepared. I always start with "tell me about yourself". Likely the single most common and expected question and it's sad how many people truly don't expect this, or respond by saying "well, what do you want to know?" If, after 4 yrs of school, you've not done an interview and thought about this question - you won't get far in the world.

Anything "crazy". Hard to describe but I did have a guy who seriously wanted to work part-time so he could do his other job (offer was for full-time including significant travel). Another guy said he couldn't work (in Mississauga) because he lived in Ottawa and didn't want to move - but was willing to start a new office there (from a fresh grad). One guy told us he had a problem with taking orders and got into fights a lot. Seriously, why even apply?
--
There is no happy ending
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto
Mark 77, professional!

This is the most rediculous thread I've ever ready. No one needs snobby professionals, and that's why they are side lined.

As for the entitlement, this is actually a HUGE Problem that managers are facing when it comes time to hire. 2 people interviewed last week were of this calibre. very dissapointing.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
Interview is basically a dating game.