• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2017 4:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
12 posts

flex options

I recently got hired by the federal government and will soon have the option of working flex hours. My understanding is that I can chose my own structure so I am curious to find out how others are doing it and even why?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2269 posts
803 upvotes
Ontario
It's either you can work from home some days, work more one day and less another (but in the week you still work your total normal hours), or work more each day everyday and take 1 day off every 3rd week or so (compressed hours).

Depends on your supervisor/team on which option can work. At the end of the day you still work your normal hours, just shifted around within the same week.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
12 posts
The most common option seems to be working extra time (30-45 min) every day and get every second Friday off. I want to learn about other options.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
You can also choose to work an extra hour a day (4) to get a half day off Friday.

Others work 2 hours a day to get Friday off. If the job allows you too.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2290 posts
1435 upvotes
monixen wrote: The most common option seems to be working extra time (30-45 min) every day and get every second Friday off. I want to learn about other options.
I work an extra 47 minutes a day and get a day off every other week.

Although... the 47 minutes usually ends up being an hour but that extra day off is definitely worth it.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
12 posts
Do you have Friday off or is there another day that you like better? Hard to imagine midweek day off but I am sure some people like it as an option. Curious about how it works with STATS if I was to choose Tuesday as my day off. Do the STATS line up in the year to make it worth while or would it only be good for some of the STATS?
[OP]
Apr 7, 2016
12 posts
So if I work 8-4 normally, change it up to 8-5 in order to leave early on Fridays..How does that affect my lunch 12-12.30 not paid with a 7.5 hour work day. What time would I get to leave?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
monixen wrote: So if I work 8-4 normally, change it up to 8-5 in order to leave early on Fridays..How does that affect my lunch 12-12.30 not paid with a 7.5 hour work day. What time would I get to leave?
If you are expected to work 7.5 hours a day, it would be expected to work 7.5- 4= 3.5 hours. Assuming that you work an extra hour for 4 days.