Toronto

Flies after new landscaping - HELP!

Three weeks ago l renovated my back yard, which included:

Removal of all grass, grading and lay new sod
Built new stone patio
Cut out flower beds with new mulch
Flagstone path
Planted three new/young trees native to my region

After completing the project l have noticed a significant (and bothersome) amount of flies that like to land on the patio. These appear to be your standard "house fly" variety. I have never had an issue with flies in the past - maybe just one or two every so often which is obviously normal for the outdoors....

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this issue? I should also mention that l haven't planted any new flowers or bushes yet which might attract flies. The flies also don't seem to hang around the grass area, just the patio.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1488 posts
290 upvotes
Grimsby
Perhaps there is something on the patio slabs attracting them, are they new or reused? I would try washing the patio either with vinegar or a bleach solution being careful not to over spray the grass or adjacent plants

Edit: spelling :(
[OP]
Aug 19, 2012
62 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Owbist wrote: Perhaps there is something on the patio slabs attracting them, are they new or reused? I would try washing the patio either with vinegar or a bleach solution being careful not to over spray the grass or adjacent plants

Edit: spelling :(
Could be, but it seems really unusual. The patio stones are a popular leading brand purchased new from a local landscape supply distributor.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
383 upvotes
Markham, ON
thegoalie31 wrote: Three weeks ago l renovated my back yard, which included:

Removal of all grass, grading and lay new sod
Built new stone patio
Cut out flower beds with new mulch
Flagstone path
Planted three new/young trees native to my region

After completing the project l have noticed a significant (and bothersome) amount of flies that like to land on the patio. These appear to be your standard "house fly" variety. I have never had an issue with flies in the past - maybe just one or two every so often which is obviously normal for the outdoors....

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this issue? I should also mention that l haven't planted any new flowers or bushes yet which might attract flies. The flies also don't seem to hang around the grass area, just the patio.
If I have to guess, it is probably the new sod and tree carrying lots of eggs in them?
Plants attract insects.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)