Shopping Discussion

Flight Centre - pointless? What is the point of this place?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 1:44 pm
[OP]
Banned
May 23, 2006
4535 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary

Flight Centre - pointless? What is the point of this place?

Anyone use them before? What is the point of flight centre? They find cheapest flights for you and book your tickets, but when i called the lady is like "we take the same prices right from air canada and westjet" and "we dont charge any extra fees to do it for you" So I said ok sure why not...get me some prices. She quoted me some $99 each way, I thought awesome. So I go in and notice the girls working there are holy....DAMN FINE.....all dolled up, dressed to the nines in flight attendant wardrobes like they just came off the first class airplane. I say i want to book a flight, give her the details and then she tells me "$451"...WHAT THE HELL? She said "$198 for round trip...$130 for taxes" So thats not $451...that means $120+ to you guys? Uhhh she goes "no we dont charge"...then im like "how does it work out to be $451 then?" She said its taxes but then she tells me taxes is only $130.....I SMELT S-C-A-M....so I just walked out. I'll book it online instead.

I guess thats why this place only tends to hire super hot girls. You pay for the scenery. I know because ive seen this companys job posting ads before in the past and they have ridiculously high expectations, they always stress "must be extremely physcially attractive and female"....hmmmm hmmm

Seriously whats next? TV centre? "we will find the best price on a tv for you!"

[IMG]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/791/fscvu.jpg[/IMG]
HEAT: :100%
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
$130 each way?
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Oct 25, 2006
560 posts
52 upvotes
MrKat wrote: Anyone use them before? What is the point of flight centre? They find cheapest flights for you and book your tickets, but when i called the lady is like "we take the same prices right from air canada and westjet" and "we dont charge any extra fees to do it for you" So I said ok sure why not...get me some prices. She quoted me some $99 each way, I thought awesome. So I go in and notice the girls working there are holy....DAMN FINE.....all dolled up, dressed to the nines in flight attendant wardrobes like they just came off the first class airplane. I say i want to book a flight, give her the details and then she tells me "$451"...WHAT THE HELL? She said "$198 for round trip...$130 for taxes" So thats not $451...that means $120+ to you guys? Uhhh she goes "no we dont charge"...then im like "how does it work out to be $451 then?" She said its taxes but then she tells me taxes is only $130.....I SMELT S-C-A-M....so I just walked out. I'll book it online instead.

I guess thats why this place only tends to hire super hot girls. You pay for the scenery. I know because ive seen this companys job posting ads before in the past and they have ridiculously high expectations, they always stress "must be extremely physcially attractive and female"....hmmmm hmmm

99 + 130 tax x2 for round trip = $458 ...looks like they gave you a $7 discount
Perfect eBay Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
MrKat wrote: Its $99 each way, $130 taxes fees on top. $330 total.

Yes I know it's $99 each way but you also might be paying taxes of $130 EACH WAY... so the math adds up
[OP]
Banned
May 23, 2006
4535 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Yes I know it's $99 each way but you also might be paying taxes of $130 EACH WAY... so the math adds up

$130 each way for taxes? wtf?

why do airlines advertise like this? More in taxes than the ticket itself?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
MrKat wrote: $130 each way for taxes? wtf?

Guess you don't fly much?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16622 posts
6883 upvotes
The Flight Centre charged me a fee of $35/ticket for flights I booked through them. I had an alert set on the flight and when it went down in price I was nowhere near a computer (and wasn't going to be all night), so I went to the Flight Centre (since I was at the mall) and had them book it. I told them the rates on the web, they confirmed, but ended up charging me a $35 fee (which I was never told of).

I'm sure the fee is at their discretion, and maybe you aren't charged it if you book a big trip through them.

I would imagine some people use Flight Centre because they don't want to do their research on the internet. You just walk in, talk to one of them and they can pull out brochures, etc.... for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1122 posts
554 upvotes
Must be tough for travel agents these days, who would use them other than old people?
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
I booked my trip to jamaica with them a couple years ago. They were about $300 cheaper than a deal i found online & made a custom package for me (10 days). They are usually only good for their own deals they get, but that's the same with all travel agencies.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8013 posts
1562 upvotes
Burnaby
Taxes are mostly flat rate charges dependent on the departure airport and the arrival, as well as the airline. It will differ for many individuals.

For example the taxes paid to fly to toronto from YVR is about the same as the taxes flying to hong kong, despite a huge disparity in ticket price
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
Last 2 times I have been in Flight Centre (which was years ago) asked for a price and because the itinerary was complicated they would call us, guess what they never did and we booked somewhere else.

Another time we asked for flight quote, we got it and wanted to have some to think which seemed ok with them at the time. Looked on the internet, found it a lot cheaper and we actually contacted them and said we wouldn't be booking with them. They start getting difficult and then say that next time we want a quote that we have to pay as we wasted their time :lol: Never set foot inside that one again.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11939 posts
1863 upvotes
Vancouver
richardvoyageur wrote: Must be tough for travel agents these days, who would use them other than old people?

I would agree....it must be tough BUT I think they make their money via accts, business people/company travel. Just my guess.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5289 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
MrKat wrote: $130 each way for taxes? wtf?

why do airlines advertise like this? More in taxes than the ticket itself?

Uh... have you never actually booked a plane ticket before? Most short-haul flights I book these days are way more in taxes and fees than the tickets themselves.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
Its commission and incentive based for their consultants; they don't necessarily make a lot on the sales, but they do make a bit. I think if the price is the same; then at least by booking with an agent you have some protection if the airline/company goes belly up.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1283 posts
575 upvotes
Vancouver
gei wrote: Uh... have you never actually booked a plane ticket before? Most short-haul flights I book these days are way more in taxes and fees than the tickets themselves.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Flight center is not scamming you. Those prices (and taxes etc.) are provided from the suppliers and they're just doing their job. :rolleyes:
[OP]
Banned
May 23, 2006
4535 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
wirebound wrote: Its commission and incentive based for their consultants; they don't necessarily make a lot on the sales, but they do make a bit. I think if the price is the same; then at least by booking with an agent you have some protection if the airline/company goes belly up.

You pay to have a hot babe sit in front of you and punch in numbers on the computer looking for prices for you. So many complaints online about this company. No wonder why each time i walk by the one we have downstairs in my office tower...NO ONE IS IN THERE! EVER!

Had I known this, I wouldnt have gone in this morning, or thrown eggs at their gorgeous working ladies who are dressed to the nines. They sure wont be dressed to the nines with egg yokes on them LMAO. Look at this companies job postings from time to time, they always stress that the girls must be very VERY attractive to work there. I bet the person who owns this company is probably a sexest douchebag.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1283 posts
575 upvotes
Vancouver
You realize that even if you book straight from the internet of the supplier (ie Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations etc.) the price (plus taxes and all) would be the same, right? :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
213 upvotes
Surrey
MrKat wrote: Anyone use them before? What is the point of flight centre? They find cheapest flights for you and book your tickets, but when i called the lady is like "we take the same prices right from air canada and westjet" and "we dont charge any extra fees to do it for you"
Flight Centre, like many travel agencies, are going the way of the Dodo, thanks to the internet and - over the last few years - airlines no longer having ridiculously inflated prices when buying direct from the airline. As for Flight Centre itself, having used Flight Centre numerous times over the past couple of decades, I can say that their level of customer service which used to be quite substantial has gone downhill quite substantially over the last few years. Certainly, their reliability to get the best price for flights between points is no longer there, either.
I say i want to book a flight, give her the details and then she tells me "$451"...WHAT THE HELL? She said "$198 for round trip...$130 for taxes" So thats not $451...that means $120+ to you guys? Uhhh she goes "no we dont charge"...then im like "how does it work out to be $451 then?" She said its taxes but then she tells me taxes is only $130.....I SMELT S-C-A-M....so I just walked out. I'll book it online instead.
This is the first time you've ever bought your own plane tickets, I presume? There are various government fees, there's tax (PST/GST/HST as applicable), sometimes the airline itself has surcharges. It's unfortunate, but not surprising, that those extras can sometimes double the cost of a ticket.
I know because ive seen this companys job posting ads before in the past and they have ridiculously high expectations, they always stress "must be extremely physcially attractive and female"
Gee...the only high expectations I recall from their ads are well traveled and university degree (and I think substantial sales experience).