• May 2nd, 2022 9:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham

Flight delays and cancellations...compensation thread

Was looking to see if there was a thread for this and my search came up empty. Think it's a good idea to have a spot for ppl to post their experiences, tips, tricks and resolution.

This is the Government of Cda site guide.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publication/f ... ns-a-guide
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
25 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Gonna start the thread off with my own which I'll update as things happen. I got an email today from Air Canada.

We're sorry, AC___from Toronto to ______ is cancelled due to crew constraints.

For example, crew have a 'duty day' limit which means they work a maximum number of hours and one explanation could be that they reached their maximum due to earlier flight delays or connection issues.

This change also affects any customers you are travelling with on this booking.

We're actively looking for an alternative flight. We'll email you with an update shortly.

They rebooked me on another flight little over two hours later.
That flight was also cancelled and they now rebooked me on a flight a further four hours later.
My current arrival time is now over 6 hours later than my original scheduled arrival time.
[There are 3 other flights going to my destination before the one they re-booked me onto - I'm taking screenshots for my "file"]

According to that website, I'm entitled to $700 in compensation per person. I'll be contacting them after my trip. Stay tuned.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6353 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Gonna start the thread off with my own which I'll update as things happen. I got an email today from Air Canada.

We're sorry, AC___from Toronto to ______ is cancelled due to crew constraints.

For example, crew have a 'duty day' limit which means they work a maximum number of hours and one explanation could be that they reached their maximum due to earlier flight delays or connection issues.

This change also affects any customers you are travelling with on this booking.

We're actively looking for an alternative flight. We'll email you with an update shortly.

They rebooked me on another flight little over two hours later.
That flight was also cancelled and they now rebooked me on a flight a further four hours later.
My current arrival time is now over 6 hours later than my original scheduled arrival time.
[There are 3 other flights going to my destination before the one they re-booked me onto - I'm taking screenshots for my "file"]

According to that website, I'm entitled to $700 in compensation per person. I'll be contacting them after my trip. Stay tuned.
From the guide, the compensation is only for changes upto 1 day before travel I think

Was the change made to your flight less than a day before?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
StatsGuy wrote: From the guide, the compensation is only for changes upto 1 day before travel I think

Was the change made to your flight less than a day before?
Original flight was at 4pm today. They cancelled it around 7pm yesterday. So that's less than 1 day before.

Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
I remember Europe usually has good compensation rules. Not sure if flight only has to travel through Europe or you have to live in Europe
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2007
1138 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Wish you good luck!
Replied to know out come.
Jul 29, 2015
48 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My daughter and I were delayed for 6 hours coming back from London. We were 4 hours on the tarmac in London and then had to land in Montreal to switch the crew as they had been on for too long. I applied for compensation through Westjet, just waiting to hear back. Has anyone else had success with something like this?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
So I am back from my trip and filing for compensation.

FYI I was delayed 6 hrs and 24 minutes based on original stated arrival times...I actually arrived over 7hrs later than my original arrival time as the flight that actually took off landed over an hour late. I'm looking for $700 compensation each based on the Regulations!!!

IT PAYS TO BE AWARE OF YOUR RIGHTS PPL

PDF to Air Canada's notice re long delays/flight cancellation policy.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... ACF519.pdf

5. COMPENSATION
If, due to a situation within Air Canada’s control, your flight was delayed three hours or more, or
cancelled, you’ll be entitled to receive compensation, unless:
a) You do not have a confirmed reservation or are travelling on a fare that isn’t available,
directly or indirectly, to the public;
b) You are informed of the delay or cancellation at least 15 days before the scheduled
time of departure;
c) Your flight was delayed or cancelled due to situation outside of our control or required
for safety purposes;
d) You have already been paid denied boarding compensation;
e) You have already been paid under another passenger rights regime for the same event;
f) You failed to submit your claim within one year of the flight delay or cancellation.
Compensation for delays and cancellations is calculated based on your arrival time at final
destination and is:
- 400 CAD for delays at arrival between 3 and 6 hours;
- 700 CAD for delays at arrival between 6 and 9 hours; and
- 1,000 CAD for delays at arrival of 9 hours and more.

It says to contact AC at www.aircanada.com/customerrelations

and when you go to that page, it asks for your booking number, departure date, first and last name. That page will say you're eligible or not.

AC eligibility Screenshot_15.jpg

When I put in my info it looked like this. It says "May be Eligible" and it says to "Please submit your compensation request by selecting the button below". [Submit Compensation Claim].

When you hit the [Submit] button a new page comes up asking the same info again and also asking address, phone numbers, email address, departing city, arriving city, booking reference, ticket number. You submit one request for each passenger you are claiming compensation for.

Now the waiting game begins for me...I'll update this thread again as things happen.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
I got an email that my claim has been filed...cut and pasted below

We have received your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight number [###] on [YYYY-MM-DD]. You can rest assured that an Air Canada representative will review this and get back to you within 30 days.

Thank you for your patience as you wait to hear from us.

Please note that this automated message confirms we have received your message and there is no need to re-submit your information.

Your case number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
So AirCanada has written back to me....cut and pasted below:

Thank you for submitting your compensation claim for Booking Reference  XXXXX

After investigation, we have determined that your flight was delayed/cancelled due to crew constraints resulting from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our operations. For example, crew may be required to isolate if they have COVID-like symptoms, have a positive COVID-19 test, or have been in contact with someone who tested positive to COVID-19.

As a result, since your Air Canada flight was delayed/cancelled due to crew constraints resulting from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our operations, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay/cancellation was caused by a safety-related issue.

We understand that you may be disappointed and are sorry that we have not been able to get you to your destination at the arrival time originally planned.

As a goodwill gesture, we’d like to offer you a one-time discount of $300 off the base fare on your next booking at aircanada.com. Below, we have provided your eCoupon number and instructions on how to receive your discount.

If you wish to learn more about flight disruptions and how entitlement to compensation is assessed under Canada’s Air Passenger Protection Regulations, please visit our website.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board again.

What is "the base fare"...from what I understand "base fare" is the b4 taxes, fees and surcharges amount. Is that correct?

I'm going to push back because there were FOUR other flights which went ahead of the flight they ultimately put me onto but they did not offer those other flights to me nor did they try and rebook me onto an other airline [SIX flights possible] so that I arrive at a more reasonable time. The code may or may not apply but as a passenger I feel they should still follow that code because it's impossible for me to determine if COVID excuse was real. I lost my first evening in Vancouver and my next day was messed up due to arriving in Vancouver at 4AM [Eastern time]. Is there any way to challenge their "COVID" excuse? I'm thinking they're "throwing" this out there thinking I'll be happy and not take the claim up to the next level.

Large Airlines
Large airlines must book the passenger on the next available flight that is operated by them, or an airline with which they have a commercial agreement. The new flight:

May take any reasonable route out of the same airport to the passenger's final destination; and
Must depart within nine hours of the departure time on the passenger's original ticket.
If the airline cannot meet this obligation, they must book the passenger, as soon as possible, on a flight operated by any airline on any reasonable route out of the same airport to the passenger's destination. This may mean buying a ticket for the passenger on a competing airline.

On a separate note, I found this article. Not a COVID excuse but it shows as a passenger, we're still at a big disadvantage trying to get compensation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.6133548

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8334 posts
4049 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ranjeet2000 wrote: I remember Europe usually has good compensation rules. Not sure if flight only has to travel through Europe or you have to live in Europe
E.U. airline anywhere or flight leaving from a E.U. member state.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2056 posts
2115 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
What is "the base fare"...from what I understand "base fare" is the b4 taxes, fees and surcharges amount. Is that correct?
Yes, base fare is before all taxes and fees.
It seems like Air Canada was having a lot of cancellations on that route during that week. On both of my flights I heard passengers around me talking about how their flights were cancelled and rebooked onto my flight
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8334 posts
4049 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
gr8dlr wrote:
I'm going to push back because there were FOUR other flights which went ahead of the flight they ultimately put me onto but they did not offer those other flights to me nor did they try and rebook me onto an other airline [SIX flights possible] so that I arrive at a more reasonable time. The code may or may not apply but as a passenger I feel they should still follow that code because it's impossible for me to determine if COVID excuse was real. I lost my first evening in Vancouver and my next day was messed up due to arriving in Vancouver at 4AM [Eastern time]. Is there any way to challenge their "COVID" excuse? I'm thinking they're "throwing" this out there thinking I'll be happy and not take the claim up to the next level.

Large Airlines
Large airlines must book the passenger on the next available flight that is operated by them, or an airline with which they have a commercial agreement. The new flight:

May take any reasonable route out of the same airport to the passenger's final destination; and
Must depart within nine hours of the departure time on the passenger's original ticket.
If the airline cannot meet this obligation, they must book the passenger, as soon as possible, on a flight operated by any airline on any reasonable route out of the same airport to the passenger's destination. This may mean buying a ticket for the passenger on a competing airline.
Next available flight means flights that are open and not fully sold. Have to prove that the competitor airlines were not sold out. Next available could be the next flight, or one next week.....
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2761 posts
1922 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: I remember Europe usually has good compensation rules. Not sure if flight only has to travel through Europe or you have to live in Europe
We did a 3yr stretch of travelling in EU and as expected there were delays left and right from EUROPEAN discount carriers

Unfortunately I became complacent and lazy to gather all the info. I believe you can file claims years after the flights.

Something that everyone should know when travelling to EU
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Sep 7th, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Biscayne05 wrote: We did a 3yr stretch of travelling in EU and as expected there were delays left and right from discount carriers

Unfortunately I became complacent and lazy to gather all the info. I believe you can file claims years after the flights.

The Cdn guidelines say you have one year to file. They advise you to start with the airline and if you don't get anywhere, you file with the CTA. As I mentioned, this CTA initiative doesn't seem to have any teeth if the airline could just claim COVID safety reasons.

Re. "gather all the info"...nothing to really gather if they cancel and rebook you. With the Air Canada one, they only ask basic info like booking confirm, flight, date name.

Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2761 posts
1922 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: We did a 3yr stretch of travelling in EU and as expected there were delays left and right from EUROPEAN discount carriers

gr8dlr wrote: The Cdn guidelines say you have one year to file. They advise you to start with the airline and if you don't get anywhere, you file with the CTA. As I mentioned, this CTA initiative doesn't seem to have any teeth if the airline could just claim COVID safety reasons.

Re. "gather all the info"...nothing to really gather if they cancel and rebook you. With the Air Canada one, they only ask basic info like booking confirm, flight, date name.
Corrected my post. This is from EUROPEAN discount carriers, not Canadian.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
UPDATE:

My initial filing for compensation resulted in a "$300 discount on the base fare of my next flight" expiring in 3 yrs for each ticket as a goodwill gesture. I replied back that I wasn't happy as they didn't put me on the "next flight" as per the guidelines. FYI The Guidelines would compensate me $700 in "cash" not a credit.

Wanted to update the post with the latest email reply from Air Canada.

Cut and pasted in entirety.

Thank you for your email. We regret your disappointment in our response.

While I am sorry and understand your disappointment with our decision, our response is in line with the Air Passenger Protection Regulations set by the Canadian Transportation Agency. I’d like to take this opportunity to explain how our decision, as it relates to your claim, is in accordance with these regulations.

When a flight is disrupted, we send notifications in real time that provides our best assessment of the reason for the delay at that time. However, many factors can play a role and contribute to a delay. We do our best to share reasons for disruptions, as well as updates of the situation as events unfold. Once the flight is completed, we investigate further: we identify and analyze the elements that may have contributed to the delay, to assess the root cause of your flight’s arrival delay. This may be different from the reason or reasons originally communicated to you.

Our review of AC117 concludes that it was ultimately inoperable due to crew constraints resulting from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our operations. As such, compensation is not eligible for situations that are within our control, but required for safety reasons.

To further clarify, your eCoupons will expire and hold no value after 3 years.

I can understand that this is not quite the answer you were hoping for but our position on the compensation is final and we are unable to consider this further.

Basically IMO they can throw the COVID response on everything right now so it's a YMMV if you get anything. Having said that, if you can file a claim with the airline, do it as it's really easy. All you do is put in your flight number, your booking number and basic factual info and they respond. In my case I got $300 x 2.

Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2721 posts
1976 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
*Somewhat OT/Insider Tip* Westjet finalizes their schedule for the next 30 days on the second weekend of every month especially for their US/international routes.

So if your flights take place in the next 30 days (roughly between Oct 11- Nov 11) there may still be an option they may cancel 1 or more of your flights. I had them do this to me 2 weeks out in July for RT flights in early August (despite the flights being decently sold). You will get the option for a full refund if this is the case regardless of the fare you booked (had the refund back on my visa within 5-6 days). They will offer you the next available Westjet flight at no additional charge. They aren’t rebooking on any other airline (including AC) other then their partners.

**Disclaimer: this has been how they’ve operated since mid 2020. I know they are wanting to expand there forecasting to 45-60 days or so. This also doesn’t mean there can’t be any other last minute cancellations for other reasons (not a schedule change). This is especially the case for domestic flights.

Having said this I would not suggest booking Westjet flights more then 30-45 days from departure to avoid headaches. Headaches as in my case, I would have to extend my stay by 2+ days to get on the next available Westjet flight. They aren’t offering any compensation at all even though I would have had to pay $1000 dollars more just to extend my accommodations last minute. You do get your refund so you can cancel the whole itinerary and rebook with someone else but will likely pay more $$$. If you look at their schedules in the upcoming months (look beyond the 30-45 day window) you will see their schedule is overzealous and mirrors their pre-pandemic schedule. Pretty unfair to the public IMHO (also I DO NOT work for Westjet I just know a few people in OPS).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
BrunetteGirl wrote: *Somewhat OT/Insider Tip* Westjet finalizes their schedule for the next 30 days on the second weekend of every month especially for their US/international routes.

So if your flights take place in the next 30 days (roughly between Oct 11- Nov 11) there may still be an option they may cancel 1 or more of your flights. I had them do this to me 2 weeks out in July for RT flights in early August (despite the flights being decently sold). You will get the option for a full refund if this is the case regardless of the fare you booked (had the refund back on my visa within 5-6 days). They will offer you the next available Westjet flight at no additional charge. They aren’t rebooking on any other airline (including AC) other then their partners.

**Disclaimer: this has been how they’ve operated since mid 2020. I know they are wanting to expand there forecasting to 45-60 days or so. This also doesn’t mean there can’t be any other last minute cancellations for other reasons (not a schedule change). This is especially the case for domestic flights.

Having said this I would not suggest booking Westjet flights more then 30-45 days from departure to avoid headaches. Headaches as in my case, I would have to extend my stay by 2+ days to get on the next available Westjet flight. They aren’t offering any compensation at all even though I would have had to pay $1000 dollars more just to extend my accommodations last minute. You do get your refund so you can cancel the whole itinerary and rebook with someone else but will likely pay more $$$. If you look at their schedules in the upcoming months (look beyond the 30-45 day window) you will see their schedule is overzealous and mirrors their pre-pandemic schedule. Pretty unfair to the public IMHO (also I DO NOT work for Westjet I just know a few people in OPS).
Wouldnt be surprised if Air Canada runs their OPS the same way which is why i tried to make a claim.

So when these airlines say that it's not on their due to COVID it really is BS.