Flight delays and cancellations...compensation thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2023 1:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2727 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Wouldnt be surprised if Air Canada runs their OPS the same way which is why i tried to make a claim.

So when these airlines say that it's not on their due to COVID it really is BS.
I haven’t seen AC forecast a schedule that mirrors their pre-covid schedule yet for the immediate future and go as far to sell tickets. But ya, AC isn’t exactly innocent either. There are for sure cancellations/schedule changes at AC but not in same overzealous attempts of Westjet (heck even the other small charter airlines like TS & WG aren’t even doing that and are buying seats for their passengers aboard WS/AC metal). Also, AC has a much larger network that alone gives them the security of selling extra seats/forecast profitable flights (example: their monopoly on smaller feeder routes within Canada and with Star Alliance).

The “due to covid” thing is such a blanket statement. It’s like “calling in sick” at work can have a million reasons behind it- truthful or not. In WS case, yes they can’t fill the demand of their pre-pandemic schedule “due to covid”. Take that as you will lol

Edit: for clarity
Apr 30, 2021
313 posts
238 upvotes
YHM
I am still waiting for an AC refund that was requested 3 months ago. They are still working on flights dating to July 5, 2020.

I had asked for Aeroplan points originally, but when the conversion amount was not the correct amount that was in my emailed confirmation, I decided to ask for my money back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5709 posts
2379 upvotes
Abbottabad
Flight is being delayed 3 hours 10 minutes due to ‘crew shortage’ with an ULCC.

Am I entitled to any compensation?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18572 posts
13378 upvotes
Markham
iamskyhigh wrote: Flight is being delayed 3 hours 10 minutes due to ‘crew shortage’ with an ULCC.

You can ask. Can't hurt.

Go to the website of the airline and there may be a form to see if you might be entitled. That's what I did with Air Canada. Even though they said I didn't qualify for the compensation per the rules, they gave me $300 credit for each ticket as a courtesy.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5709 posts
2379 upvotes
Abbottabad
gr8dlr wrote: You can ask. Can't hurt.

Go to the website of the airline and there may be a form to see if you might be entitled. That's what I did with Air Canada. Even though they said I didn't qualify for the compensation per the rules, they gave me $300 credit for each ticket as a courtesy.
iamskyhigh wrote: Flight is being delayed 3 hours 10 minutes due to ‘crew shortage’ with an ULCC.

Got the compensation.

3 hr delay = $125 per passenger. So got $250 for the two of us.

Can't imagine how much this airline pays out for these compensation claims.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18572 posts
13378 upvotes
Markham
iamskyhigh wrote: Got the compensation.

3 hr delay = $125 per passenger. So got $250 for the two of us.

Can't imagine how much this airline pays out for these compensation claims.
Imagine how many ppl don't even try for compensation. I figure it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for posting.

Jan 29, 2022
18 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I experienced a 5-hour flight delay in July that was not related to weather or a mechanical issue affecting safety. I contacted AC using this link (contact AC at www.aircanada.com/customerrelations) asking for 400 CAD as compensation as per the Canadian Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPR). After a lengthy delay, they responded with a $100 voucher. So, I decided to proceed with a small claims court case asking for $502 ($400 plus small claims court fee). I served the Plaintiff's claim this month and recently received this email from AC:

"I trust this email finds you well. Your claim against Air Canada was brought to my attention for handling. Upon reviewing your file, with no admission and on the grounds of customer service, I believe this matter can be resolved out of court.

In fact, Air Canada is willing to resolve this matter amicably as follows:

An e-Transfer of $502. "
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18572 posts
13378 upvotes
Markham
JTToronto wrote: I experienced a 5-hour flight delay in July that was not related to weather or a mechanical issue affecting safety. I contacted AC using this link (contact AC at www.aircanada.com/customerrelations) asking for 400 CAD as compensation as per the Canadian Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPR). After a lengthy delay, they responded with a $100 voucher. So, I decided to proceed with a small claims court case asking for $502 ($400 plus small claims court fee). I served the Plaintiff's claim this month and recently received this email from AC:

"I trust this email finds you well. Your claim against Air Canada was brought to my attention for handling. Upon reviewing your file, with no admission and on the grounds of customer service, I believe this matter can be resolved out of court.

In fact, Air Canada is willing to resolve this matter amicably as follows:

An e-Transfer of $502. "
Thank you for posting. It never occured to me to take the "small claims" route rather than go thru CTA which can take years more than likely.

I created this thread so ppl can post their "process" and what resolution they got. It's too bad the many many other ppl don't post on here their experience so that we all know what can be done and whether it's onerous starting and how long the fight went for. In your case, there was no "Rocky" like training involved for the fight and no endurance required. If I had known that this was a possible route to take, I might have taken that path as well.

Jan 23, 2021
10 posts
17 upvotes
BC
Just received a reply from Westjet denying compensation for cancelled flights during the winter storm chaos. Interestingly they cited the denial reason as "crew availability for safety purposes" and not weather. I have heard the airlines are now using this excuse to deny compensation even though crew shortage is within their control. Still debating whether it's worth the time to fight this through small claims court...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9967 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I got denied for compensation for a cancellation that caused a 20h stay in Calgary last summer. AC denied my compensation stating it was "safety related" even though the reasons I have on email for their cancellation are "aircraft maintenance". Submitted a claim with CTA, not expecting much but we'll see.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2570 posts
3915 upvotes
West
rtparadiso wrote: Just received a reply from Westjet denying compensation for cancelled flights during the winter storm chaos. Interestingly they cited the denial reason as "crew availability for safety purposes" and not weather. I have heard the airlines are now using this excuse to deny compensation even though crew shortage is within their control. Still debating whether it's worth the time to fight this through small claims court...
Submit a complaint through the CTA if you are not convinced you wish to deal with it. The process is a lot simpler. Sure, there is a huge wait time, but then you can just spend 5 mins to submit, for zero risk, and forget about it. The BC CRT will be much quicker undoubtedly, but there is some element of risk with your filing fee. Your call.

Beware, that knock-on effects are a thing, and the airline may get off without owing anything if the crew shortage was due to a direct consequence of the weather delays, and the airline showed it did take reasonable steps to prevent cancellation... though I do agree that this typically will be cited as an "out of control" reason.
uber_shnitz wrote: I got denied for compensation for a cancellation that caused a 20h stay in Calgary last summer. AC denied my compensation stating it was "safety related" even though the reasons I have on email for their cancellation are "aircraft maintenance". Submitted a claim with CTA, not expecting much but we'll see.
Unscheduled aircraft maintenance is classified as a safety-related delay. If that's what it was, this is non-compensable, though you are eligible to have any incurred expenses for meals/accommodation reimbursed.