Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA

Flight to HK, stopover Japan

Need to go back to HK for a wedding in mid-December and plan to stop by Japan on the way back. I haven't been back in awhile (almost 10 years). I used to always book airline ticket with a travel agency but wondering if it is cheaper to find my own ticket this time.

Which is best site to look for best deals on air tickets? Is it just on the airline website? Or travel website?
I have some flexibility on when to come back. Would flying back on Dec 25 or Dec 26 be cheaper compared to other dates?
7 replies
Aug 16, 2005
103 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Try google flight
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
6244 posts
2014 upvotes
I would go with a travel agent. I have always got better deals through them.
Jan 8, 2012
687 posts
476 upvotes
Williams Lake
The two best canadian sites to look for posted deals are probably:

nextdeparture.ca

yyzdeals.com

No guarantees they'll have anything to either TYO or HKG in your time-frame, of course.

You can also search on https://www.google.ca/flights/, kayak, momondo, and a few other sites by entering the dates and locations you want to fly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8745 posts
1657 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had good luck flying on xmas day or xmas eve. I believe most people want to be on the ground during this time.

Flying between xmas and nye and the weeks after nye I find more expensive.

This is still prime time to fly, so don't expect any of the hot promos you see posted to apply. However you might score the odd consolidator ticket that's a few hundred cheaper or on better airlines.

Kayak.com is what I use. Make sure to set it in CAD$ before you see usd pricing and get excited ;)

If you post sample dates, some helpful rfd'ers may aid in your search. Keep in mind there is a finite amount of flights over the pacific and it is a busy time. If you see a deal book it. If your traveling as a couple make sure you select 2 people as sometimes hot prices come up but it is one seat.

You are still relatively ahead of the general public when it comes to xmas vacation.

Have fun!
Autocorrect sucks
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I churn credit cards to collect Aeroplan points.Last year I traveled with my son from Vancouver- Hongkong-Tokyo-Vancouver for 75000x2 aeroplan points.This year we'll be travelling to Osaka on Aeroplan points.I already have the points for next year's vacation and looking forward`to booking the flights next month.I'm half way there to the year after.....

Its a fun hobby with great travel benefits!

Its too late to to get aeroplan points for this Christmas.....but not too late for next year's trip(s) !

Edit: WOW! to my surprise,I do see available aeroplan flights for the 2 weeks before Christmas!(I assume you're from Toronto)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8160 posts
1688 upvotes
Burnaby
If flying economy internationally I generally don't bother with points. YVR to HKG with a stop in Tokyo has been on sale for around 750 from Ana a couple times already in the last year.

Europe AC and KLM just had a fare war for 450 to 550 to all of Europe this last week
Oct 1, 2009
547 posts
236 upvotes
West coast
Prices via travel agency are sometimes better than online.