Travel

Flight Layover - Does Airline Cover Hotel?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2018 5:42 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1577 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto

Flight Layover - Does Airline Cover Hotel?

My other half and I are planning on a last minute trip to Tokyo this coming December.

In the past we usually have flown direct flight, but it looks like all the flights that we are considering have at least one stop over.

I noticed some flights have as much as a 17hr lay over (fly into Charles de Gauelle in Paris).

I havent flown on a flight with such an extended lay over, but was wondering in situations like this do airlines usually provide hotel?

Also, I am assuming if we were to fly into Paris and wanted to leave the airport - We would need to deal with customs and immigration when coming back/leaving , is this correct?

Thanks in advance
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6122 upvotes
Ottawa
No, the airline will not provide accommodations for the lay over. Are you booking with an actual airline or an airline reward program?

And yes, if you want to leave the airport, you will have to go through customs again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
"It depends".

Most don't, but some do - Korean Air will pay for a hotel (i.e. Japan via Incheon/Seoul) as long as certain rules are met, mostly along the lines of you took the shortest layover available, the layover is more than a certain number of hours in length (8? Don't quote me on that) and you aren't in the absolute cheapest ultra-special-sale fare class (regular economy is okay).

I have a ~20 hour stay approved on KAL's account at the Grand Hyatt on the way back from Japan early next year.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
My 20hr layover transit hotel in China will be covered by the airline. Tokyo to Guangzhou to Toronto.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote: My 20hr layover transit hotel in China will be covered by the airline. Tokyo to Guangzhou to Toronto.
Did your agent arrange this? I have never heard of such arrangements from airlines unless you make separate hotel bookings and charge it to your flight ticket (as you can with rental vehicles)..
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Did your agent arrange this? I have never heard of such arrangements from airlines unless you make separate hotel bookings and charge it to your flight ticket (as you can with rental vehicles)..
For Korean Air, the airline has its own team that handles this.

There also seem to be a few other airlines that do something similar, never tried any though.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote: My other half and I are planning on a last minute trip to Tokyo this coming December.

In the past we usually have flown direct flight, but it looks like all the flights that we are considering have at least one stop over.

I noticed some flights have as much as a 17hr lay over (fly into Charles de Gauelle in Paris).

I havent flown on a flight with such an extended lay over, but was wondering in situations like this do airlines usually provide hotel?

Also, I am assuming if we were to fly into Paris and wanted to leave the airport - We would need to deal with customs and immigration when coming back/leaving , is this correct?

Thanks in advance
I assume given the long layover in Paris you are flying Air France? Or at least ticketed by them for the transatlantic portion.

Air France does not provide free hotels for long layovers even in business (possibly in Le Premier).

I flew AF last December and had a similar stop over in Paris. We rented a car and drove to our hotel (booked a hotel for the day in central Paris).

When you check in for the flight in Toronto be sure they only check your luggage through to CDG (so you can retrieve it). I forget their policy but some airlines and also depending on airport are willing to check your bags through as long as your layover is less then 24 hours or along the lines of 8/12/14/16 hours. Anyone I know who whose had a long connection like that tends to get their baggage misplaced if they chose to check it through to the final destination.

I’ve never had long wait times through Paris for immigration -in or out.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Manatus wrote: For Korean Air, the airline has its own team that handles this.

There also seem to be a few other airlines that do something similar, never tried any though.
Oh yes, you can add hotels and rental cars when you buy your ticket at Air Canada too.
My question was basically asking if the hotel was part of the airfare because there is a 20 hr layover or separate like other airlines.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Oh yes, you can add hotels and rental cars when you buy your ticket at Air Canada too.
My question was basically asking if the hotel was part of the airfare because there is a 20 hr layover or separate like other airlines.
For me at least, at no point did I choose or pay for the hotel. It's not listed anywhere on my travel itinerary or anything like that. Essentially what happened was after booking the flight, I forwarded my receipt/itinerary to the airline and asked if I could get a hotel, and they said sure (in a more formal way).
Nov 26, 2012
433 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Did your agent arrange this? I have never heard of such arrangements from airlines unless you make separate hotel bookings and charge it to your flight ticket (as you can with rental vehicles)..
It's common among some Asian airlines. Most of the Chinese airlines offer hotel stays if the layover is over x hours and it looks like the Korean airlines do as well. The hotel sometimes differs depending on seat class. I know that China Eastern even had a service desk for this at the Shanghai airport. That said, my parents use a very experienced travel agent to book flights to Asia so they always get the inside scoop so I'm not sure if it is advertised or publicly known. For sure, I don't expect that kind of service from Air Canada or anything.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
China Southern Airlines offers this for layover over 8 hrs.

https://www.csair.com/en/tourguide/tran ... modations/
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Nov 15, 2011
313 posts
588 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Emirates offers free hotels for layovers in dubai over 8hr and under 24hr.

You will have to book with them directly vs. travel website.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
McKinsey wrote: Air Canada does offer this as well:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... pover.html

Not really useful for those departing from Canada however.
Wow, new to me, and I travel a lot, thanks.
When the layover is long, I always decided to stay a few days but the 6 to less than 24 hours is pretty good. Any idea what hotels they offer? Or where there is a list? Can I choose my own?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport Hotel
Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
Sandman Signature Toronto
Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga

I usually go with the first one as it is connected to the airport.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)