• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 8:47 am
[OP]
Apr 29, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

Flight Network Victim

Dear RedFlagDeals,

I would like to share my experience in hopes this doesn't happen to you.

In case you didn't know, Flight Network is a 3rd party online travel agency that offers cheap flights.

The problem I am currently facing is that Flight Network never notified me about that Air Canada no longer operates to Italy (BGY) airport. My partner and I only found out when we first called in to Flight Network's 24/7 main number 1-877-496-4815 because we originally wanted to change our flight dates (we are going for a wedding). Flight Network's rep response was to call Air Canada and ask them for their refund. I did what was advised, but Air Canada said the exact same thing. At this point, I'm getting frustrated and this is going nowhere. The second time I called back Flight Network back and were told someone would call us back due to a major airline filing bankruptcy and they are currently dealing with heavy volumes of cancelled airflights. We never got a call back. If an agent tells me they will call me back within one hour and they don't, that is a complete waste of my time waiting for a call that will never come.

The 3rd time I spoke with a rep name Cantsky. There has been a lot of miscommunication and lack of clarity regarding the refund process. Cantsky also informed me that he has notified the scheduling change team who is responsible for contacting Air Canada for our refund. I understand that it will then take 3 business weeks for the refund to go through our credit cards. As a paying customer I expect to be notified when a change occurs in my flight itinerary, I expect to receive adequate customer service and also timely follow ups. None of these were met. I was informed multiple times from all the sales agents I spoke with that Flight Network is busy dealing with cancellations from another bankrupt airline. These are excuses. I understand you have other customers who have more pressing deadlines, but at the end of the day I am also a paying customer for Flight Network's services and it was as if my situation did not warrant a timely solution.

Since my first complaint, a customer rep name Nazneen has contacted my partner in regards her refund, but not mine. I have e-mailed Nazneen if she could please confirm if she is also working on my refund as well, but I have not heard back from her and it has already been more than a week. This is extremely frustrating and infuriating as there is no one to hold accountable or to even know if anything what they say is credible!!!

I am at a loss for words and all I can do at this point is to warn people.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do I would like some help.

Thank you for reading.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1562 posts
1968 upvotes
Firstly, as your travel agent, Flight Network is the one to go through for a refund NOT Air Canada. AC will only take over your file after check-in/day-of-flight.

Secondly, Flight Network does have a horrid customer service reputation - my condolences. Not much to do except complain unless you eventually do not get a refund at which point you can escalate with the provincial travel protection authority that MAY apply and the credit card for potential charge-back.

Thirdly, I don't believe AC ever operated themselves to BGY, it would have been a partner which should be named on your itinerary (BGY is mostly ultra low-cost carriers, the main carriers fly into MXP or LIN airports). The other option for the TA would be to re-route you not necessarily cancel & refund.
Last edited by robsaw on May 1st, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 31, 2019
35 posts
26 upvotes
Youll get your refund no worries it will take time.

Next time book directly with the airline. Lesson learned 9/10 times the price is the same.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
milkplus17 wrote: Dear RedFlagDeals,

I would like to share my experience in hopes this doesn't happen to you.

In case you didn't know, Flight Network is a 3rd party online travel agency that offers cheap flights.

The problem I am currently facing is that Flight Network never notified me about that Air Canada no longer operates to Italy (BGY) airport. My partner and I only found out when we first called in to Flight Network's 24/7 main number 1-877-496-4815 because we originally wanted to change our flight dates (we are going for a wedding). Flight Network's rep response was to call Air Canada and ask them for their refund. I did what was advised, but Air Canada said the exact same thing. At this point, I'm getting frustrated and this is going nowhere. The second time I called back Flight Network back and were told someone would call us back due to a major airline filing bankruptcy and they are currently dealing with heavy volumes of cancelled airflights. We never got a call back. If an agent tells me they will call me back within one hour and they don't, that is a complete waste of my time waiting for a call that will never come.

The 3rd time I spoke with a rep name Cantsky. There has been a lot of miscommunication and lack of clarity regarding the refund process. Cantsky also informed me that he has notified the scheduling change team who is responsible for contacting Air Canada for our refund. I understand that it will then take 3 business weeks for the refund to go through our credit cards. As a paying customer I expect to be notified when a change occurs in my flight itinerary, I expect to receive adequate customer service and also timely follow ups. None of these were met. I was informed multiple times from all the sales agents I spoke with that Flight Network is busy dealing with cancellations from another bankrupt airline. These are excuses. I understand you have other customers who have more pressing deadlines, but at the end of the day I am also a paying customer for Flight Network's services and it was as if my situation did not warrant a timely solution.

Since my first complaint, a customer rep name Nazneen has contacted my partner in regards her refund, but not mine. I have e-mailed Nazneen if she could please confirm if she is also working on my refund as well, but I have not heard back from her and it has already been more than a week. This is extremely frustrating and infuriating as there is no one to hold accountable or to even know if anything what they say is credible!!!

I am at a loss for words and all I can do at this point is to warn people.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do I would like some help.

Thank you for reading.

Would you mind posting details of your itinerary (flight #s / times) ? BGY is a small airport typically used by LCC like Ryanair.

The big carriers (including Star Alliance) use MXP (Milan Milpanesa) and LIN (Milan Linate). AC would have no reason to use BGY as they have used MXP for many years and MXP would allow for onwards connections with codeshares. I doubt Bergamo can accommodate big aircraft and the other logistics.

.....Something isn’t right with your itinerary.

Will agree Flight Network isn’t the greatest. A lot of these cheap flight websites are notorious for pairing together itineraries that don’t make sense/don’t have code share agreements (among several other issues) and then in the event of schedule changes/issues don’t go to bat at the airline for their customers.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1918 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Can't you issue a charge back on the credit card? Since you were charge for a service that does not exist.
Jan 8, 2008
484 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Issue a charge back with the credit card company used. Case closed!!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36101 posts
10197 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a problem with third party agent. The tickets (or reservations) are sold to the third party, not to you. The airline or hotel will deal with whomever they sold the ticket or reservation to. Your recourse is through the third party agency you bought it from.
This issue comes up quite often and it is always the same....a real pain to get reimbursed and in the end, it cost a lot more. Sometimes you need ot really think abut how much you are saving and if anything goes wrong, will it be worth it. Bottom line, you will pay the airline (or hotel) directly and pay, as you should have done in the first place.
On the other hand, if nothing goes wrong, you may have saved a few bucks....
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1357 upvotes
Scarborough
don't use cheap 3rd party websites. Either go to a real travel agent, or buy direct from airline on their official website.

Do chargeback to the CC and next time be careful.

These 3rd party website call centres are in India etc so they don't give a rats ass about you.
They just bullshit you all day in hopes you give up and they pocket the money.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3531 posts
2178 upvotes
Edmonton
milkplus17 wrote: Dear RedFlagDeals,

This comes up fairly frequently on RFD. How much cheaper could the flight be? Book direct with the airline! The only exception I would say would be in those situations where you are booking a package deal and then you should use a reputable travel agent or if online, a reputable outfit like Expedia. There is a reason why many hotels and airlines advertise to book direct for the lowest fare.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15515 posts
12731 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We don’t use 3rd Parties
We book everything direct
Not only does this give us peace of mind
(Recourse in case anything goes wrong)
But over the long run we save a lot of money via Best Price Guarantees
And Loyalty Club Membership

Just went away on a mini vacation
And came home with enough Loyalty Points to seriously offset the cost of another one
(Thank you Mr Hilton for your Points & Cash / Membership Pricing for ALL your 5700+ properties worldwide under different price point banners)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2968 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: We don’t use 3rd Parties
We book everything direct
Not only does this give us peace of mind
(Recourse in case anything goes wrong)
But over the long run we save a lot of money via Best Price Guarantees
And Loyalty Club Membership

Just went away on a mini vacation
And came home with enough Loyalty Points to seriously offset the cost of another one
(Thank you Mr Hilton for your Points & Cash / Membership Pricing for ALL your 5700+ properties worldwide under different price point banners)
It has never really been clear to me why people would risk any issue at all by booking other than directly with the service provider. Sure, you might save a few bucks but it only takes one incident to blow whatever savings there were right out of the water.

I get the RFD thing but if one ignores the cost of one's own time, effort, and frustration in dealing with this kind of exception, then you get what you deserve I suppose.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
791 upvotes
centre of universe
Snugglebean wrote: Youll get your refund no worries it will take time.

Next time book directly with the airline. Lesson learned 9/10 times the price is the same.
I just booked with FlightNetwork. But was able to talk to them and change my Boston flight. This is first time I used FlightNetwork. I always used cheapoair.ca .
I have used Expedia for many booking. But lately found they are becoming very expensive. For same flight.

But OPs experience alarms me.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2393 posts
781 upvotes
Book directly with the airline to avoid these third party problems.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5368 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
I've booked at least a hundred flights over the last several years - always with a 3rd party provider - and have never had an issue.

If you are incompetent, generally don't know what you you are doing, or are prone to making mistakes, sure perhaps you should book with the airline directly.

Otherwise 3rd party sites are fine and are worth it for saving a few bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
I used to book thru Flight Network years ago, before they started outsourcing their call centres. I never had any problems. Now you hear so many horror stories about third party bookings (alot from Flight Network).

It's much safer to book direct with the airlines especially booking international flights. For short trips to New York, etc, I have no problem booking with Expedia.

Also, it's true, Flight Network will prioritize the urgency of the calls - Jet Airways just went under, so these customers are in a more dire situation than you ...
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18470 posts
2847 upvotes
Langley
I was in Seattle a long time ago, and at the counter next to me a rep was explaining to an upset person that she had missed her flight... the airline had moved the flight to an earlier time.

The rep was saying something like "Cheap-O-Air was supposed to keep you notified of sched changes, since they're your TA...

And I'd never heard of cheap-o-air and it was almost like a joke... like that's the exact sort of thing you'd expect to happen when you book with a website called cheap-o-air.

Yeah, so just to echo what others have said, always book direct, then things are a lot simpler to resolve then if you bring in an unnecessary middleman.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2595 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I always book direct. Some airlines have price match also, so even if it's lower, you can match it.

The best part about booking direct is that there's no additional, $100-150 in FN's case, fees for changing dates. Makes it a no-brainer to never use 3rd party.
Aug 14, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
They (fight network) are run by bunch of indian scammers in canada. stay away