Travel

Flight from YVR -> Hong Kong, why does Cathay take longer than Air Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2016 6:05 pm
Nov 3, 2016
13 posts

Flight from YVR -> Hong Kong, why does Cathay take longer than Air Canada?

Comparing flights right now and I see 1:15pm flight from YVR > HKG , Cathay, takes 13:55h to go one way....

return flight says Air canada go for 11 hours? Why does one airline that is praised for the service take longer for the fight? Or is there something with returns flight that I am not understanding....?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
You're not comparing apples to apples.

YVR-HKG is flying west against the wind and jet stream and thus slower.
HKG-YVR is flying east with the wing and jet stream and thus faster.

Cathay Pacific and Air Canada would be the same.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
verdasco123 wrote: Comparing flights right now and I see 1:15pm flight from YVR > HKG , Cathay, takes 13:55h to go one way....

return flight says Air canada go for 11 hours? Why does one airline that is praised for the service take longer for the fight? Or is there something with returns flight that I am not understanding....?
And now you realize just how powerful winds can be.
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Note that often they will take a slightly different route. For the YYZ (Toronto) - HKG route, they fly through Beijing, whereas the return flight goes through Taipei and Tokyo. I guess they do this so to avoid mid-air collisions.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote: Note that often they will take a slightly different route. For the YYZ (Toronto) - HKG route, they fly through Beijing, whereas the return flight goes through Taipei and Tokyo. I guess they do this so to avoid mid-air collisions.
i believe that yyz-hkg, they go over the north pole.....they don't cross the pacific anymore
Nov 3, 2016
13 posts
interesting! thanks :D

canada gets cucked again, long flights :/
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
verdasco123 wrote: interesting! thanks :D

canada gets cucked again, long flights :/
Perhaps we should request that Canada be moved closer to Asia so that the flights are shorter...
Nov 3, 2016
13 posts
Shaner wrote: Perhaps we should request that Canada be moved closer to Asia so that the flights are shorter...
or the American way of thinking... tell them to pay and move closer to us!

cause.... CHINAAA...... :D
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote: i believe that yyz-hkg, they go over the north pole.....they don't cross the pacific anymore
You're right. It goes through the Arctic and then it goes through Beijing. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA15

The return flight goes through Japan, then Alaska.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1026 posts
294 upvotes
c_snapper wrote: i believe that yyz-hkg, they go over the north pole.....they don't cross the pacific anymore
It depends. My parents and I have taken the same flight on different days. I went over the north pole. They took the jet stream and went passed Japan.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
I recently watched a documentary about WWII and there was a segment on how jet streams were discovered. The Japanese have discovered the phenomena just before WWII and kept it a secret. Apparently, they used it to carry weather balloons containing bombs to the US undetected. There was one incident somewhere in Oregon where one of the balloons landed with the bomb intact. A local family thought it was a good place to have a picnic and were curious about the balloon. Well, the bomb exploded killing the entire family except the husband/father who was in the car several meters away grabbing things for the picnic. For years, the US military couldn't understand how a balloon from Japan can travel so far and land in the US killing an entire family. Anyway, merry Christmas.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
4seasonscentre wrote: It depends. My parents and I have taken the same flight on different days. I went over the north pole. They took the jet stream and went passed Japan.
A flight plan is dependent on many things, wind, weather, time of day, conflicting routes, traffic etc. Not all flights use the same route, it is not a two lane highway :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Nov 24, 2008
316 posts
143 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
heymikey wrote: I recently watched a documentary about WWII and there was a segment on how jet streams were discovered. The Japanese have discovered the phenomena just before WWII and kept it a secret. Apparently, they used it to carry weather balloons containing bombs to the US undetected. There was one incident somewhere in Oregon where one of the balloons landed with the bomb intact. A local family thought it was a good place to have a picnic and were curious about the balloon. Well, the bomb exploded killing the entire family except the husband/father who was in the car several meters away grabbing things for the picnic. For years, the US military couldn't understand how a balloon from Japan can travel so far and land in the US killing an entire family. Anyway, merry Christmas.
I had to google this, it sounded like a lot of hooey, but...wow.

http://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history ... loon-bombs
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
heymikey wrote: I recently watched a documentary about WWII and there was a segment on how jet streams were discovered. The Japanese have discovered the phenomena just before WWII and kept it a secret. Apparently, they used it to carry weather balloons containing bombs to the US undetected. There was one incident somewhere in Oregon where one of the balloons landed with the bomb intact. A local family thought it was a good place to have a picnic and were curious about the balloon. Well, the bomb exploded killing the entire family except the husband/father who was in the car several meters away grabbing things for the picnic. For years, the US military couldn't understand how a balloon from Japan can travel so far and land in the US killing an entire family. Anyway, merry Christmas.
They also landed on Vancouver Island (I'm from there originally).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)