5625 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

Toronto to Barcelona, Spain - $367 CAD roundtrip including taxes

Deal Link:
Expiry:
January 26, 2019
Retailer:
flighthub
WestJet is showing a few open jaw flights where you fly non-stop from Toronto to Barcelona, Spain and then for the flight back from Europe you fly from Barcelona to New York City.
However, the flight on the way home from Barcelona does stop in Toronto first, at which point you could leave the airport, effectively making it a non-stop flight both ways.
But be aware that you cannot do this with checked luggage, only with carry-on.
There's only a couple of return dates working with this deal, so it probably won't last very long.

Availability for travel

late September, October 2019

Oct 14 is Thanksgiving Monday.

How to find and book these flights

1. Go to Flighthub or the WestJet website

2. Change the search type from Roundtrip to 'Multi-City'

3. Search for a flight like this one...

Toronto (YYZ) to Barcelona, Spain (BCN)
Barcelona, Spain (BCN) to New York City (LGA)

Note that you should use New York City's LGA airport when searching.

Try one of the following date combinations:

Sep 24 to Sep 28, 30
Sep 24 to Sep 30
Sep 24 to Oct 5, 7
Sep 27 to Sep 30, Oct 5, 7, 14
Sep 29 to Oct 5, 7, 14

Oct 4 to Oct 7, 14, 21
Oct 6 to Oct 14, 21
Oct 18 to Oct 21

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
21 replies
Nov 26, 2008
573 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
I almost booked until i couldn’t figure out what would happen with my luggage and the possible fact of whether or not it would delay the second leg of the flight for other people.

I checked the dates with just Toronto and it was 850-900ish as well for those wondering.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1285 posts
2093 upvotes
I discovered this deal this morning on Next Departure: https://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deal/to ... w-westjet/

The deal also works from Ottawa. For those that are familiar with fuel dumps, this is a dump, so buyer beware!

Managed to book flights from Ottawa to Barcelona earlier today from Friday July 26, returning on Saturday August 17 for $375 CDN ($283 USD) per person on Priceline. Awesome deal for summer dates!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1180 posts
374 upvotes
Narkham
oj777 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:50 pm
I discovered this deal this morning on Next Departure: https://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deal/to ... w-westjet/

The deal also works from Ottawa. For those that are familiar with fuel dumps, this is a dump, so buyer beware!

Managed to book flights from Ottawa to Barcelona earlier today from Friday July 26, returning on Saturday August 17 for $375 CDN ($283 USD) per person on Priceline. Awesome deal for summer dates!
What's a fuel pump?
RFD is the reason I live in poverty.
Sep 5, 2005
295 posts
164 upvotes
Victoria
thr333zy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:00 am
What's a fuel pump?
A device that adds gas to your car.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1708 posts
842 upvotes
bostonontario wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:37 pm
I almost booked until i couldn’t figure out what would happen with my luggage and the possible fact of whether or not it would delay the second leg of the flight for other people.

I checked the dates with just Toronto and it was 850-900ish as well for those wondering.
This is not something to do with checked luggage. Carry on only.
thr333zy wrote:

What's a fuel pump?
In a nutshell, it is avoiding paying fuel surcharge taxes.

More info here: https://www.secretflying.com/posts/fuel-dumping-basics/
Sep 28, 2004
984 posts
131 upvotes
thr333zy wrote:
What's a fuel pump?
Briefly, total flight cost is base fare + fuel surcharges + taxes and fees. Base fare + taxes and fees are pretty much fixed. Fuel surcharges vary for various reasons including things like when there are multiple legs of the flight and/or multiple airlines involved. Some flight itineraries can result in some of fuel surcharge being "dumped" on the longer leg of the flight (and in other less clear circumstance I believe). There are some more intricacies but that's the basics.
Jan 1, 2013
361 posts
191 upvotes
POINTE-CLAIRE
Two questions: Exiting before final destination, tickets are usually clear on this that not using all tickets in order will negate the fare, could that be case here or is there no worries since it is last leg of journey. Also, why should I "beware" that this is a fuel dump, what could happen? What are possible scenarios?
Oct 26, 2011
401 posts
175 upvotes
Are you sure there is no access to luggage? Since you are clearing customs and transfering to USA don't you need to take your luggage with you from CA customs to the US customs.

In any case if you do not board the flight to NY they will remove your luggage from that plane. Not sure what they would do with it though.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1285 posts
2093 upvotes
jetcap wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 8:14 am
Two questions: Exiting before final destination, tickets are usually clear on this that not using all tickets in order will negate the fare, could that be case here or is there no worries since it is last leg of journey. Also, why should I "beware" that this is a fuel dump, what could happen? What are possible scenarios?
Regarding flying this fare, assuming you booked the 3rd leg: YYZ-NYC leg on the same day, you have no worries since it's the last leg. The only thing though is, don't check in luggae if you're flying the last leg on the same day (or within 24 hours). Your checked in luggage will go to NYC.

Another option: book the last leg on a different date in the future. From what I've seen it's roughly an extra $50 to create a "stopover", and that way you can fly the last leg on a different date in the future, or you can also simply skip it.

Also, since this is a "fuel dumped" fare, that means the fuel surcharges are partially dumped or fully dumped. If you look at the link aviator13 provided (https://www.secretflying.com/posts/fuel-dumping-basics) it gives the following advice:

"3. Booking your ticket

If you decide to book a fuel-dumped ticket, you must understand the risks involved. Fuel dumping enthusiasts who regularly fly these types of tickets, minimise the amount of human interaction involved with their booking. Calling the airline’s customer service department for a date change or a refund is only asking for big trouble. A knowledgeable airline employee will notice the irregular itinerary, so it’s highly recommended to simply book your tickets, check-in online and fly.

Many newcomers to this practise are often concerned about the consequences of being caught by an airline. In theory, if an airline notices your fuel-dumped ticket, they could deny you boarding unless you paid the full ticket fare."

It's a very rare occurrence but there's always the chance that your ticket could be cancelled at any part of the journey (before, or even on the return trip home). There have been a couple situations where a traveller, who was either rejected boarding before or in the middle of their itinerary only to be asked to pay the appropriate fuel surcharges on top of their ticket price if they want to catch their flight home or to their destination.

To give people an idea of how much the fuel surcharges are for the Toronto to Barcelona roundtrip flights, here's the fare structure for dates: September 3-September 18 (according to ITA Matrix):

Fare 1: Carrier WS LP7D0BZK YTO to BCN (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code E
Covers YYZ-BCN (Economy)
Base Fare: CA$94.00

Fare 2: Carrier WS LP7D0BZK BCN to YTO (rules)
Covers BCN-YYZ (Economy)
Base Fare: CA$40.00

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)
CA$510.00

Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
CA$25.00
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)
CA$3.25
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)
CA$25.91
Spain Security Tax (QV)
CA$5.30
Spain Aviation Safety And Security Fee (OG)
CA$0.90
Spain Departure Charge (JD)
CA$26.30
Subtotal per passenger
CA$730.66

Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
CA$730.66
•This ticket is non-refundable.
•No changes may be made to this ticket after

SO... worst case scenario, you could be checking in at Barcelona airport, only for the check in agent to discover your unusual itinerary, and demand you to pay the fuel surcharges of $510 CDN to catch your flight home!
Oct 12, 2008
854 posts
1440 upvotes
Markham
jetcap wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 8:14 am
It's the last leg so you can safely ditch it; they can't charge you for skipping that last flight. With legacy airlines, the risk is that if you repeatedly do things like fuel dumping or hidden city ticketing, they might catch on and either blacklist you from flying with them or (the more likely scenario) close off your FFP with them. The worst case would be taking you to court for the money you "should've" paid.

Bear in mind that all of that is extremely unlikely unless you have a long history of exploiting their pricing system, so...

tl;dr: If you don't know and haven't done much (if any) fuel dumping, then chances are nothing will happen.
Jan 20, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
That's amazing. I'm trying to book for end of August and I'm getting around $550 one way
Mar 7, 2017
11 posts
oj777 wrote:

That's an amazing deal! I havent been able to replicate it, could you give some info on how to book that deal ?
Mar 25, 2016
31 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
oj777 wrote:

Hi, may I know what you put in to your search criteria? Is it Ottawa to Barcelona, and then Barcelona to Ottawa? Or did you search up Barcelona to New York for the flight back? I am having trouble finding the Ottawa flights. Thanks!
Feb 29, 2012
183 posts
57 upvotes
oj777 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 10:28 am
Regarding flying this fare, assuming you booked the 3rd leg: YYZ-NYC leg on the same day, you have no worries since it's the last leg. The only thing though is, don't check in luggae if you're flying the last leg on the same day (or within 24 hours). Your checked in luggage will go to NYC.

Another option: book the last leg on a different date in the future. From what I've seen it's roughly an extra $50 to create a "stopover", and that way you can fly the last leg on a different date in the future, or you can also simply skip it.

Also, since this is a "fuel dumped" fare, that means the fuel surcharges are partially dumped or fully dumped. If you look at the link aviator13 provided (https://www.secretflying.com/posts/fuel-dumping-basics) it gives the following advice:

"3. Booking your ticket

If you decide to book a fuel-dumped ticket, you must understand the risks involved. Fuel dumping enthusiasts who regularly fly these types of tickets, minimise the amount of human interaction involved with their booking. Calling the airline’s customer service department for a date change or a refund is only asking for big trouble. A knowledgeable airline employee will notice the irregular itinerary, so it’s highly recommended to simply book your tickets, check-in online and fly.

Many newcomers to this practise are often concerned about the consequences of being caught by an airline. In theory, if an airline notices your fuel-dumped ticket, they could deny you boarding unless you paid the full ticket fare."

It's a very rare occurrence but there's always the chance that your ticket could be cancelled at any part of the journey (before, or even on the return trip home). There have been a couple situations where a traveller, who was either rejected boarding before or in the middle of their itinerary only to be asked to pay the appropriate fuel surcharges on top of their ticket price if they want to catch their flight home or to their destination.

To give people an idea of how much the fuel surcharges are for the Toronto to Barcelona roundtrip flights, here's the fare structure for dates: September 3-September 18 (according to ITA Matrix):

Fare 1: Carrier WS LP7D0BZK YTO to BCN (rules)
Covers YYZ-BCN (Economy)
Base Fare: CA$94.00

Fare 2: Carrier WS LP7D0BZK BCN to YTO (rules)
Covers BCN-YYZ (Economy)
Base Fare: CA$40.00

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)
CA$510.00

Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
CA$25.00
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)
CA$3.25
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)
CA$25.91
Spain Security Tax (QV)
CA$5.30
Spain Aviation Safety And Security Fee (OG)
CA$0.90
Spain Departure Charge (JD)
CA$26.30
Subtotal per passenger
CA$730.66

Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
CA$730.66
•This ticket is non-refundable.
•No changes may be made to this ticket after

SO... worst case scenario, you could be checking in at Barcelona airport, only for the check in agent to discover your unusual itinerary, and demand you to pay the fuel surcharges of $510 CDN to catch your flight home!
Within 24 hours is not a problem as you need to clear customs on the way back. Just make sure to book the last leg for the next day.
Deal appears to be dead anyhow.