Travel

Flights to Johannesburg (good time to buy?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2018 8:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes

Flights to Johannesburg (good time to buy?)

I'm looking at pricing on flights from YYZ to JNB leaving late August and returning four weeks later. Actually, we then need to fly to Maun (Botswana) but I'm thinking it might be better to stay in Jo'burg a night or two before flying to Maun to break up the long commute. We can find a separate regional flight to Maun.

Anyway, I'm seeing prices of $1500-$2000+ in economy (not including Ethiopian Airlines because they have terrible reviews). Would love to find a deal between $1000-$1200, if possible. I see that Delta has some decent flights (good stopovers, 24h or less in transit) with good prices in the next month or two (or three).

Does Delta offer better pricing within a certain period before one's travel date? I know we can't predict the future, but asking in general.

Any other advice for getting a sub $1500 flight pp? First time flying to South Africa so I'm not sure how to time it before pulling the trigger on flights. Thanks!
11 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 4, 2017
90 posts
3 upvotes
Try looking at tickets with some air reward companies if you are a member with them like air miles or Aeroplan or aventura or avion
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15968 posts
13215 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Generally (although not always) when it comes to travel arrangements the farther ahead you book the less you pay
As things book up (ie seats on a plane) availability goes down, and prices go up

Booking early is also key if you wish to take advantage of any Loyalty Program Points or Miles

Here’s a thought... if Delta is your go to, try googling to see if you can find any info on what Delta was charging last year for your timeframe and if anyone snagged a deal (such info typically shows up on a Blog or Forum)
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2012
681 posts
449 upvotes
Williams Lake
One option is to look at flights from Europe or the US to JNB.

It will mean a longer, more complicated trip, but it might also save you some money.

Eg. a quick search shows flights from Paris to JNB in September for $650 (BA). And $600 from YYZ to Paris (Air Transat).

You could also track sites like nextdeparture.ca, yyzdeals.com, secretflying.com and fly4free.com to track deals from Canada, the US and Europe to JNB.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
Jagmin wrote: Try looking at tickets with some air reward companies if you are a member with them like air miles or Aeroplan or aventura or avion
Unfortunately we don't have enough points for flights.
PointsHubby wrote: Generally (although not always) when it comes to travel arrangements the farther ahead you book the less you pay
As things book up (ie seats on a plane) availability goes down, and prices go up

Booking early is also key if you wish to take advantage of any Loyalty Program Points or Miles

Here’s a thought... if Delta is your go to, try googling to see if you can find any info on what Delta was charging last year for your timeframe and if anyone snagged a deal (such info typically shows up on a Blog or Forum)
Good idea, I'll try a search like that to see what last year's prices were like.
wudtsilake wrote: One option is to look at flights from Europe or the US to JNB.

It will mean a longer, more complicated trip, but it might also save you some money.

Eg. a quick search shows flights from Paris to JNB in September for $650 (BA). And $600 from YYZ to Paris (Air Transat).

You could also track sites like nextdeparture.ca, yyzdeals.com, secretflying.com and fly4free.com to track deals from Canada, the US and Europe to JNB.
Thanks, those are things I'm keeping an eye on already. Hopefully obsessively checking every day works out Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Banned
User avatar
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1414 upvotes
Toronto
To give you a sense: we flew YTZ-Montreal-London-Joburg (return from Capetown) for $1300 in June 3 years ago. It was through Air Canada and S.A. Airways. Was a great deal at the time anyways. I'd booked it the previous October. We then drove to Maun. I remember the extra stopover in Montreal saved us a fair chunk of change (for four tickets).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
wirebound wrote: To give you a sense: we flew YTZ-Montreal-London-Joburg (return from Capetown) for $1300 in June 3 years ago. It was through Air Canada and S.A. Airways. Was a great deal at the time anyways. I'd booked it the previous October. We then drove to Maun. I remember the extra stopover in Montreal saved us a fair chunk of change (for four tickets).
Actually, that helps a lot. Thank you!
Banned
User avatar
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1414 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: Actually, that helps a lot. Thank you!
No problem! Have fun in Botswana - we loved it!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1308 posts
768 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure if still current, but there used to be deals where you could fly Canada-Europe-JNB for ~$3500 in business class (i.e. all 4 overnight flights in flat bed pods), which was a super good deal for premium class. This was not a one off, similar fares would appear every few months. We took advantage of this 18 mos ago, and it was pocket change to add a single regional leg to the fare. So we actually flew Canada-LHR-JNB-WDH and CPT-JNB-LHR-Canada on one ticket, but had to buy WDH-Maun-CPT separately.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
houska wrote: Not sure if still current, but there used to be deals where you could fly Canada-Europe-JNB for ~$3500 in business class (i.e. all 4 overnight flights in flat bed pods), which was a super good deal for premium class. This was not a one off, similar fares would appear every few months. We took advantage of this 18 mos ago, and it was pocket change to add a single regional leg to the fare. So we actually flew Canada-LHR-JNB-WDH and CPT-JNB-LHR-Canada on one ticket, but had to buy WDH-Maun-CPT separately.
We're looking to fly in Economy. I don't wanna spend more than $1500 pp so $3500 isn't something I'd consider. Maybe one day!
Sr. Member
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I flew to JNB with KLM last April for about $1100, booked it about 8 months in advance. However, that's shoulder season, whereas August is peak season for transatlantic travel. Especially considering most of the routes travel through Europe, and that's when prices to Europe are at their highest as well. I would expect flights to maybe bottom out around the $1400 mark for most dates in August, but would be surprised if they go lower than that.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
BaconBaron wrote: I flew to JNB with KLM last April for about $1100, booked it about 8 months in advance. However, that's shoulder season, whereas August is peak season for transatlantic travel. Especially considering most of the routes travel through Europe, and that's when prices to Europe are at their highest as well. I would expect flights to maybe bottom out around the $1400 mark for most dates in August, but would be surprised if they go lower than that.
Good point. I've found some sub$1300 options and even something under $1200 (but date doesn't work) so I guess I shouldn't wait too long.

Top