Hot Deals

FLIR Black Friday

FLIR ONE (Thermal Camera for Smartphones) Gen 3 $209 (Orig $305), Pro $379 (Orig $570) + 15% Promo code (sitewide)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2022 4:32 pm
[OP]
Jan 19, 2007
85 posts
108 upvotes

[Black Friday] FLIR ONE (Thermal Camera for Smartphones) Gen 3 $209 (Orig $305), Pro $379 (Orig $570) + 15% Promo code (sitewide)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
FLIR
Noticed these two were on sale and found a 15% off promo code.

FLIR ONE Gen 3
https://www.flir.ca/products/flir-one-gen-3/

FLIR ONE Pro
https://www.flir.ca/products/flir-one-pro/

Promo Code: EBDITC3 (works sitewide I believe)
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 23rd, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated url
77 replies
Sep 25, 2016
178 posts
349 upvotes
I saw some reviews about the battery durability.
you need to make sure to recharge the battery after few month of non use.
Aug 10, 2010
621 posts
792 upvotes
Aminour wrote: I saw some reviews about the battery durability.
Like this one?

Last edited by shoppingsheep on Nov 23rd, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 9, 2020
352 posts
679 upvotes
I have one of these and it's OK. I wouldn't use this or the pro model for anything 'pro' but for around the house it's been useful as a DIYer
lots of things were expected. seeing where in the crawl space the hvac was leaking, surprise, the seams that were all wonky... but a few actual drilled holes in the line I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

I can see an entire stud bay next to the sliding glass door that has ZERO insulation in it because. ya.. who needs insulation in Canada, totally optional install.

I can see the hot water pipes running though the walls.

seeing areas around the windows where they didn't properly foam it on install and it's just leaking massive amount of heat or cold.. again good job guys.

basically if you're a DIY sort of person and want to find some of the problem areas in your house because you're going to fix them yourself this could be useful to you and maybe even pay itself off. It'll also make you a more confident DIYer because you can not only check your own work, but also see how shoddy the 5 star pros work actually is. 5 stars because the reviewers have no clue if its a good job or bad job just that they were polite and fast. lol. I'd be polite and fast too if I was fleecing people and doing a half assed job lol.

They can also be used for PCB design to find hot spots if you're building voltage regulators, but I mostly work with 5/12v so it's less useful.
Aug 4, 2022
64 posts
71 upvotes
I have no use for this but it looks so tempting I can hear MGS 1 bgm playing in my head.
Jan 5, 2022
17 posts
42 upvotes
Edmonton
Using the free FLIR Tools app, you can do a LOT of measurements and get the temperature of individual pixels, identify the min, max or average temperature for a specific area that you specify. From that point of view, the Gen III is very capable and that tool could even be used for professionals. But the Gen III can seem very underwhelming because those features are not made visible on the fly. I am very happy with the Gen III but only because the post processing with the FLIR Tools app makes it shine!!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Here is an example from our lab, a hot plate that was not evenly hot. Photo was taken with a Gen III but I used the FLIR Tools app to process the photo as you see here. You can see that I have drawn a box and the hot spot and cold spot have been automatically identified (triangles). You can have multiple spot temperatures on the image.

DO IT!!!!
Images
  • FLIR_20220826_013324_451.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3788 posts
1920 upvotes
Vancouver
Dammit, caved and bought one. Thank you no thank you OP. :)
Jan 31, 2015
32 posts
17 upvotes
Which one has the better app? iOS or Android? Reviews would point to iOS but I'm trying to justify the Android version as it's what I use primarily.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1822 posts
692 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Thanks OP, ordered! Will be useful to have for all sorts of DIY projects around the house
Oct 17, 2009
549 posts
488 upvotes
What's everyone going for the regular or the pro? How practical is the higher resolution?
Sep 8, 2022
255 posts
534 upvotes
How long will their app be supported for?

For the Android version, USB-C...can I use that with a PC / Mac?
Nov 12, 2009
15 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
I actually got the pro off Amazon, used. Works great.
Found a leak in my basement ceiling. Worth the money! Also found a cold spot where winter air was flowing through near my furnace exhausts. When I get back home, I'll try plugging it into a PC, but usb c and the app works great. No online activation required.
FLIR_20221022_010233_919.jpg
Mar 21, 2017
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
So... iphones switching to usb c huh? as an iphone user I would not get the iOS version...
Jul 26, 2020
145 posts
185 upvotes
Aminour wrote: I saw some reviews about the battery durability.
Can confirm. I simply opened mine up, removed the built in battery, wired an 18650 battery holder that I stuck with double sided tape on the other side. The device becomes bulkier, but **** them and their shitty battery! At least with an 18650 it doesn't need to be recharged after 20 pictures.
Aug 10, 2010
621 posts
792 upvotes
Is this the only option we can get for a decent thermal camera under $200? The battery part really worries me.