Floating Deck over Interlock pavers

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 8:37 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
6 posts
Mississauga

Floating Deck over Interlock pavers

I am building a 20x14 floating deck in my backyard that will be 1' in height. I haven't researched the deck block calculations but I figured every 5' or so would be 15 deck blocks in total; using 2x8 joists; no beam. 80% of the deck will be over a massive area of 20~ year old interlock brick pavers (4"x8"~) which is still in really good condition. Grade/soil seems to be fine and appears to be well packed. Should I lay the deck blocks directly over the pavers or remove the spots and place 18x18" patio stone under crushed gravel? I plan to install a 14x10 hardtop gazebo from costco as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1030 posts
587 upvotes
London, On
I think you are fine putting the blocks right on the pavers, especially if you are using them every 5 feet. Digging out and putting gravel and 18" patio stones under the deck blocks isn't going to be any more stable than what the existing patio will be after it's been there for 20 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2785 upvotes
Check the leveling very carefully before you start. You need to make sure that the deck itself is absolutely level, and that means that the supporting deck blocks must all be at the same height, regardless of what they are resting on. You need a string line and level or a laser level to check this. It's a pain if you plan the deck to be at a certain level, and then discover that in one area the ground or interlock base is sunken or raised and is going to need fixing.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2278 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
Given the age of the pavers and size, leave them as is and build deck on top as you planned.

The only thing I would check is that the grading of the pavers is away from your home and not towards it.

Levelling without using post or beams, but joists only is going to be rather difficult.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
I built my deck using deck block. It’s very easy. The deck blocks don’t need to be at the same height. It’s the 4x4 post which support the beam.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2785 upvotes
britelzg wrote: I built my deck using deck block. It’s very easy. The deck blocks don’t need to be at the same height. It’s the 4x4 post which support the beam.
If the deck is going to be at 1 ft. height, that's not a lot of room for posts or beams. Maybe he's not planning to use 4x4 posts, but rather slot the joists into the deck blocks. I agree this makes the leveling much more difficult.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3174 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
I'm struggling understanding what the point is of a deck 12" off the ground, covering perfectly good pavers. Seems like thousands of dollars and years of ongoing maintenance for nothing.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2785 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I'm struggling understanding what the point is of a deck 12" off the ground, covering perfectly good pavers. Seems like thousands of dollars and years of ongoing maintenance for nothing.
Larger area maybe? He said the existing pavers cover only 80% of the new deck area. Doesn't seem much bigger, but sometimes a few extra feet are critical to how you can use the area.

Or maybe the pavers are too hot in the summer.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1030 posts
587 upvotes
London, On
Exp315 wrote: Larger area maybe? He said the existing pavers cover only 80% of the new deck area. Doesn't seem much bigger, but sometimes a few extra feet are critical to how you can use the area.

Or maybe the pavers are too hot in the summer.
When I read it the first time, I was thinking the new deck was 80% the size of the old patio, not the other way around. Now I wonder what the dimensions of the patio are in relation to the 20x14 deck. He's not going to be able to support it properly just using deck blocks sitting on the patio stones if the wood is going to extend a few feet beyond in any direction. I don't remember exactly, but I think 2x8 can cantilever up to about 2 feet. But I would be a bit concerned about stability when the deck is basically resting on deck blocks, not fastened down, if you end up with a couple people on that overhang at the same time.
Aug 8, 2006
95 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
Previous owners built our deck on pavers. Don’t think they even used deck blocks - just wood on the pavers. Don’t know how old it is but the deck boards are grey. The deck is flat and sturdy, and if/when I have to rebuild I’ll do it on the pavers.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
6 posts
Mississauga
Thanks for your input. The existing interlock area is 20x70'. It's a mix of of red and gray pavers. It's okay but our house has been significantly modernized so covering a small portion isn't a big deal. I plan on sealing the pavers to bring out more of the wet look. I've decided to use 4 2x8 beams to support the weight with joist hanger connections. I'm going to try no 4x4 posts for height purposes. The other option is dig and pack/gravel the deck blocks spots and have it lowered into ground with 4x4 posts.