Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1327 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Flooded Ceiling

I woke up this morning to find a 1m x 0.5m patch of my living room ceiling soaked and dripping. The drip rate was approx. a drip every 3-5 seconds. The room directly above the patch is a bathroom.
The cupboard under the bathroom sink was wet (not flooded) and one of the valves was leaking slightly. The leak from the valve seemed sufficient to wet the cupboard floor but didn't seem enough to cause such a wet patch on the ceiling of the floor below (unless it's been dripping like that for weeks/months). The patch on the ceiling wasn't steadily growing over time. Last night it wasn't there, and this morning it was dripping through.
I shut of the valve to the bathroom sink and then the main valve. The dripping stopped a short while later.
Any advice on how I should proceed?
How can I identify if the leaky valve (or something else) was the cause?
Do I need to cut a hole in the living room ceiling so I can stick my head through and look around? Does the entire board that makes up that section of the ceiling need to be removed? Does the entire ceiling need to be replaced?
How do I assess this?
Thanks.

10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2987 posts
498 upvotes
Water loo
drill a small hole to allow the water to escape.
if you don't care about the ceiling some specialized ceiling touch up paint can hide the stains after it dries out.
if you care, well... you probably have to rip out the entire ceiling to replace the damaged part to make it all look the same.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5097 posts
2869 upvotes
I would cut open the ceiling first. You need to replace that section anyways and it will give you a view to what’s going on
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2299 posts
597 upvotes
Windsor
The slow-drip from that faucet likely did not cause this issue because, as you said, it didn't slowly grow. I would expect that you have a larger leak in something like a drain: no water coming out until you take a shower or something, then lots of water. Then no water again.

Another option is that the sink drip was filling a vapour-barrier somewhere under that sink. After 3 months, it rips and dumps a large payload of water all at once.

In any case, just cut out the square and see what's up. Repairing the drywall is relatively simple, and you'll have an easy view of the offending area.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1783 posts
1111 upvotes
To make it perfect, you need to remove the damaged drywall, and scrape and respray the whole room. Once you cut out the drywall, you'll have a better idea of what's going on. Water, like electricity, always finds the path of least resistance, which isn't always the same as gravity. So it may have traveled a little bit from where it started. After opening up the damaged drywall, run the shower, tap, etc to see if you can recreate the water falling down.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2104 posts
1436 upvotes
SW Ontario
And let it dry out before installing the drywall back on the ceiling.

Check all the crimp rings on the Pex lines as well as the valves in the cabinet.
That shutoff valve looks to me like it has a froze drain on the side, so make sure it is done up tight as it could be the source of the drip.

This is one if the reasons I bought Smartthings Hub, sensors, and Dome Main Shut off Controller ... every sink, toilet, and tub drain has a leak monitor sensor that not only notifies me, but also shuts off the water. It's cheap insurance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1327 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jojo_Madman wrote:
May 11th, 2019 8:31 pm
That shutoff valve looks to me like it has a froze drain on the side, so make sure it is done up tight as it could be the source of the drip.
What is a froze drain?
This is one if the reasons I bought Smartthings Hub, sensors, and Dome Main Shut off Controller ... every sink, toilet, and tub drain has a leak monitor sensor that not only notifies me, but also shuts off the water. It's cheap insurance.
Can you teach me how you did that? I'm running homeassistant but I have no idea how I would install sensors on every sink/toilet/tub drain.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2104 posts
1436 upvotes
SW Ontario
Sievert wrote:
May 11th, 2019 9:55 pm
What is a froze drain?

Can you teach me how you did that? I'm running homeassistant but I have no idea how I would install sensors on every sink/toilet/tub drain.
Should have been freeze drain port ... let's you drain water out if used in a location subjected to unheated areas when installed.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1285 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Replace those shutoff valves with mini-ball valves or you'll risk having this happen again.

Those turn gate valves are notorious for slow leaks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1327 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jacquesstrap wrote:
May 12th, 2019 8:00 am
Replace those shutoff valves with mini-ball valves or you'll risk having this happen again.

That valve is crimped to the pipes. Do I need to replace the pipe sections?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1893 posts
941 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote:
May 12th, 2019 8:00 am

What about these kind of shut-off valves for the sink/toilet Image