• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2017 6:31 am
Jun 22, 2016
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Flooded neighbours below but have no insurance

Hi all
I've recently (a month ago) moved to a new apartment. And I was a bit sloppy in getting insurance, because I wanted to transfer my home and auto insurance all together to new apartment, instead of calling two times.
But as it always happens, laziness is punished. Laundry started leaking after 3rd wash. We did not notice it at first. We did not have any water in our apartment, and management could not find out where it came from. But after several washes leak appeared again. This time we had some water in our apartment. We mopped a half of bucket, but apparently some water went all the way to neighbours below. Anyway, I did not have insurance at that time. Now I got an estimate from some contracting company that management hired.
This is how it looks like:
Scope of work:
Unit XXX.
Cover the kitchen, living and dining room with plastic.
Remove the damaged ceiling drywall.
Install new drywall on the ceiling.
Apply tape and three coats of plaster.
Prime and paint the entire kitchen, living/dining room ceiling with matching colour.
Clean up.

$2,850.00

Main Lobby Ceiling.
Cover the working area with plastic.
Prime and paint the ceiling with matching colour.
Clean up.

$2,200.00

Subtotal $5,050.00
HST 13% $656.50
Total $5,706.50
Total $5,706.50

1. I don't have such money at the moment, because everything went towards downpayment.
2. It looks like too much for fixing and repainting ceiling in 2 rooms. And it looks a bit confusing that they include repainting of all walls.

What can I do in such situation?
63 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Your problem, pay up, somehow.

You can request another estimate but, I don't think they are obligated to provide multiple quotes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
RTemchenko wrote: Hi all
I've recently (a month ago) moved to a new apartment. And I was a bit sloppy in getting insurance, because I wanted to transfer my home and auto insurance all together to new apartment, instead of calling two times.
But as it always happens, laziness is punished. Laundry started leaking after 3rd wash. We did not notice it at first. We did not have any water in our apartment, and management could not find out where it came from. But after several washes leak appeared again. This time we had some water in our apartment. We mopped a half of bucket, but apparently some water went all the way to neighbours below. Anyway, I did not have insurance at that time. Now I got an estimate from some contracting company that management hired.
This is how it looks like:
Scope of work:
Unit XXX.
Cover the kitchen, living and dining room with plastic.
Prime and paint the entire kitchen, living/dining room ceiling with matching colour.
Clean up.

$2,850.00

Main Lobby Ceiling.
Cover the working area with plastic.
Prime and paint the ceiling with matching colour.
Clean up.

$2,200.00

Subtotal $5,050.00
HST 13% $656.50
Total $5,706.50
Total $5,706.50

1. I don't have such money at the moment, because everything went towards downpayment.
2. It looks like too much for fixing and repainting ceiling in 2 rooms. And it looks a bit confusing that they include repainting of all walls.

What can I do in such situation?
Yes, it's a bit confusing but to me it looks like they're just painting all of the listed ceilings.

Yes, it looks a little expensive but I'm assuming the quotes are from proper reputable trades that will perform the work properly and fully.

You can ask if they'll get another quote but don't hold your breath.

If you truly don't have the funds, maybe the condo/strata can cover the bill and charge you monthly via a surcharge on your fees until it is all paid back.

Otherwise, might be time to look for a low rate credit card for a cash advance.
Jun 22, 2016
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
2200 or 2850 for ceiling painting only is really too expensive. I was looking to install light fixtures before moving into apartment. And that would involve redoing ceiling and repainting. I had a much smaller quote.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
RTemchenko wrote: 2200 or 2850 for ceiling painting only is really too expensive. I was looking to install light fixtures before moving into apartment. And that would involve redoing ceiling and repainting. I had a much smaller quote.
You are not in a position to shop around here... And the quote is for repairing drywall muddling, taping and THEN painting.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
I am confused, are you renting? Do you own? If you have a mortgage you would have to provide proof of insurance. If you are renting your landlord would have the proper insurance.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
dgnr8 wrote: I am confused, are you renting? Do you own? If you have a mortgage you would have to provide proof of insurance. If you are renting your landlord would have the proper insurance.
Landlord has building insurance not tenants insurance for damage the tenant did like water escape.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
was it your washing machine that you had installed when you moved in? or is it one that came with the apartment? If it belongs to the apartment, I'd think it would be their responsibility ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Condo mortgage doesn't need provide of tenant insurance, even if it did, some people would buy to get the paper than cancel shortly after, which is dumb since water damage happens a lot more in condo, it seems and they are cheap compared to typical house.

I have no input for OP besides pay up, the people below you is in for a lot of trouble already and even have to suffer more with the repair. This could very much happen to you as well.
dgnr8 wrote: I am confused, are you renting? Do you own? If you have a mortgage you would have to provide proof of insurance. If you are renting your landlord would have the proper insurance.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jun 22, 2016
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I am an owner. I don't remember providing any proof of insurance at the time of purchase. And I don't see any damage insurance in documents. Only HomeProtector which is life and critical illness insurance.
Washer broke like after 3rd load. Maybe filter got stuck maybe something else. Did not investigate yet. Using public laundry.
Tried to contact my insurance company since I was paying fees, and higher then they are now.
I totally understand that neighbours below are in trouble as well. But as I pointed earlier, I recently quoted contractor for ceiling work which would involve putting cable in ceiling. And it was much cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
The only thing I can think of is that you will need to get a loan if you don't have the cash as you're on the hook as the owner regardless of the circumstances. I'm also surprised you can get a mortgage without home insurance.
Jun 22, 2016
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I will call lawyer to see if I am missing something. Condo has some kind of insurance but with 10000 deductible.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
120 upvotes
The reason the quote is expensive is because it's takes multiple days between mudding, sanding and painting.
Although the contractor isn't working a full day onsite you are getting dinged for it.
That's why contractors love these jobs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
How on earth did you get a mortgage and buy a place without providing proof of insurance?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
OP, the condo corp's policy kicks in here but you can hold you responsible for the deduction which they can add to you maintenance fees. You should speak wifh he property manager o see if that's over X months or a one-time charge.

You can be sued for damages caused to personal property of other homeowners. That's more worrisome and can be far more costly depending on what's been damaged and the litigious nature of the insurer paying for it.

---------------

This thread is important in that the question about needing to get insurance is often asked in here and many RFDers think they don't.

It's a relatively inexpensive insurance which also covers liability for the even more costly personal injury.

If you buy or rent a condo get it and do not take the advice of anyone who suggests buying it to satisfy the mortgage lender then cancel it upon taking possession. That person demonstrates they've not ever had a mortgage.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
120 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: How on earth did you get a mortgage and buy a place without providing proof of insurance?
I am an owner/occupant of a condo and I don't have insurance.
I should probably get some.. lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cdndeal wrote: I am an owner/occupant of a condo and I don't have insurance.
I should probably get some.. lol
Do you have a mortgage? I know I've had to prove insurance before I bought (both times).
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
120 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Do you have a mortgage? I know I've had to prove insurance before I bought (both times).
Sure do! Good ol' Home Trust
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
120 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Do you have a mortgage? I know I've had to prove insurance before I bought (both times).
What's the cost for condo insurance?
Jun 22, 2016
40 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I was dealing with RBC. Just for reference. Screw HomeTrust because of reasons.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)