• Dec 22nd, 2019 11:05 pm
Tags:
30 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4022 posts
4154 upvotes
GTA
Unless you want to spend $1000+, they're all made in China and about the same quality. Just pick one with the features that matter to you. For me, that's maximum lift height.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3768 posts
2686 upvotes
Toronto
Kinda crappy, i hate the small jack point. The Costco options are better IMO. I wouldn't spend $100 on that CT one. Quicklift is also really nice so it doesn't take 100 pumps to raise the car.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4013 posts
1611 upvotes
Thanks, I also need 2 jack stands

Costco jack is in the price range I was aiming for so maybe I'll get that but no rush...
Jul 17, 2009
814 posts
273 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have this exact Jack for 3 years, not great overall. It's heavy, mine makes creaking sound when lowering/rising, the pivot that push down the pump 'clicks' badly and it is very difficult to lower it slowly.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1103 posts
576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
subbed.

I'm not in a rush, but definitely would buy one if the price is right. Low profile is a plus for me and range must be enough to lift up SUVs as well.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Why the hell you guys spending over $100 for these and what the hell are you lifting? I bought the $40 Canadian Tire one 7 years ago and have lifted my car dozens of times with no problems.
Jan 13, 2007
490 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not crazy about those Big Red floor jacks. I've been using various MotoMaster floor jacks for years and have been very pleased with them.

My current floor jack is this 3-ton heavy duty Motomaster. It's squat, wide and very solid, with a large lifting surface. With the extension arm, a couple of cranks and the vehicle is raised. It is heavy though, so I wouldn't recommend you carry it in the trunk of your car or anything, but if you have the space to store it in your garage, it's a great piece of equipment.
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
63 posts
41 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: Why the hell you guys spending over $100 for these and what the hell are you lifting? I bought the $40 Canadian Tire one 7 years ago and have lifted my car dozens of times with no problems.
Good for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2860 posts
1167 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote: Why the hell you guys spending over $100 for these and what the hell are you lifting? I bought the $40 Canadian Tire one 7 years ago and have lifted my car dozens of times with no problems.
The bigger the jack, the more stable it is and higher it'll lift (usually, of course).

I have a cheapie $30 CT 2ton jack, but prefer using my Costco Arcan 3.25ton a lot more.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1166 upvotes
Brampton
The small jack can barely lift my car high enough to put the jack stands under and can't lift the SUV tire off the ground.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
redman248824 wrote: Good for you.
You still didn't answer my question.

To all the rest who respinded with good points, I never tried to see if ramps can fit with my jack at maximum height, but it beats raising my car with the stock jack with that 5mm thick "Z" bar that you have to twist 200 times to get the car 6 inches off the ground.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1197 posts
584 upvotes
Remember to use a hockey puck so it's easier on the pinch weld, and plus you gain like 1/2 inch.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12243 posts
1973 upvotes
GTA
n0thing wrote: Remember to use a hockey puck so it's easier on the pinch weld, and plus you gain like 1/2 inch.
if u perfectly fine with dropping car sure..............

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1197 posts
584 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: if u perfectly fine with dropping car sure..............

i didn't say to use two pucks. you can see in his video, during slowmo, that the slippage happened between the two pucks, and then the black puck slipped off while the blue puck was still on the jack.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4013 posts
1611 upvotes
Yikes, good thing that dog didn't walk under the car.....
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1762 posts
863 upvotes
Alberta
The jack that the guy used is what I have myself. I highly recommend one of those if can spend the money. They will all work, but these big jacks you can lift a car by central mount points, making it easier to change wheels or whatever you need to do. Most important thing on a jack is the lift height, make sure you guy what will work with your vehicle. Some smaller jacks won't lift an SUV for example, or don't have the weight rating for some SUVs.

Here is mine, it's huge, but I love it: