None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6040 posts
1413 upvotes
rural ontario

Floor jack for pinch welds

All my floor jacks are flat or slightly curved and that is all I've ever seen sold.

Do no one make a hydraulic floor jack for pinch weld type cars?

Like the spare tire jack in the attached photo. I've made some shade tree hacks using wood but it seems strange no one offers this.
Images
  • upload.jpg
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6193 posts
4048 upvotes
Toronto
rilles wrote: All my floor jacks are flat or slightly curved and that is all I've ever seen sold.

Do no one make a hydraulic floor jack for pinch weld type cars?

Like the spare tire jack in the attached photo. I've made some shade tree hacks using wood but it seems strange no one offers this.
Search pinch weld adapters ;)
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Feb 11, 2016
109 posts
68 upvotes
montreal
BeaverLiquor wrote: Search pinch weld adapters ;)
yup, there's screw in adaptors for all makes and models. I have a BMW with a stupid square thingy that gets absolutely crushed if you don't have the right adaptor.

TAHDAH!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24377 upvotes
Center of Universe
TLSRULZ wrote: Hockey pucks !
My 5000lbs SUV ripped one cleanly in half...scared the shit out of me.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
The pinch welds aren't the correct jacking points anyways when using a floor jack. It's generally the front and rear centers. The pinch welds are then used for safety stands.

Lifting a car one corner at a time is unstable and dangerous. It's only intended for changing the spare tire with the factory equipped scissor-jack in an emergency. Otherwise, lifting one axle at a time is much more stable and safe.

People who use the pinch welds as jacking points are the reason why you see them folded over and the rockers dented in.
Last edited by derass on Jun 6th, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4236 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
I cut a channel on a piece of 2x4 for the pinch weld to fit into, then put a couple of long screws into it to reinforce against wood splitting, and it works great for changing tires. But my car is only 3700 lbs.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19692 posts
23074 upvotes
GTA
jzmtl wrote: I cut a channel on a piece of 2x4 for the pinch weld to fit into, then put a couple of long screws into it to reinforce against wood splitting, and it works great for changing tires. But my car is only 3700 lbs.
I also use a 2x4 block of wood. It won't split if you go against the grain. My car is only 3200lbs, but I also use it on my wife's 4300lb SUV.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
You guys should really just use the correct lift points and safety stands. Instead of no stands and janky homemade adapters made from wood and hockey pucks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24377 upvotes
Center of Universe
derass wrote: You guys should really just use the correct lift points and safety stands. Instead of no stands and janky homemade adapters made from wood and hockey pucks.
The correct points on my SUV is a 3"-4" wide cutoutt and no traditional jack saddle can fit in properly.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: The correct points on my SUV is a 3"-4" wide cutoutt and no traditional jack saddle can fit in properly.
Maybe. But you didn't tell me what your SUV is, so I can't check. But I still doubt your jack point is the pinch weld.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24377 upvotes
Center of Universe
derass wrote: Maybe. But you didn't tell me what your SUV is, so I can't check. But I still doubt your jack point is the pinch weld.
2016 Ford Explorer Sport.

pic1.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19692 posts
23074 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: You guys should really just use the correct lift points and safety stands. Instead of no stands and janky homemade adapters made from wood and hockey pucks.
Nothing wrong or dangerous with using the factory lift points on the side rail pinch welds when changing tires.
If I'm getting under the car it goes on 4 jack stands and I throw the wheels under for insurance.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
I would disagree. I'm sure the service manual for your car does too. I know mine does. I made all of my arguments in post #7.

But, to reiterate, using the pinch weld as a jacking point is only intended for putting on the spare tire, with the factory scissor jack, in an emergency. Otherwise, one axle should be lifted at a time from the central jacking point, with safety stands placed under the pinch welds (or wherever locations are appropriate for your vehicle as per its service manual).

Lifting from one corner of the vehicle, with no safety stand, is cutting corners (no pun intended) in an attempt to save time, at the expense of safety. People bump into raised cars, hydraulic cylinders fail, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24377 upvotes
Center of Universe
derass wrote: I would disagree. I'm sure the service manual for your car does too. I know mine does. I made all of my arguments in post #7.

But, to reiterate, using the pinch weld as a jacking point is only intended for putting on the spare tire, with the factory scissor jack, in an emergency. Otherwise, one axle should be lifted at a time from the central jacking point, with safety stands placed under the pinch welds (or wherever locations are appropriate for your vehicle as per its service manual).

Lifting from one corner of the vehicle, with no safety stand, is cutting corners (no pun intended) in an attempt to save time, at the expense of safety. People bump into raised cars, hydraulic cylinders fail, etc.
Your post is confusing.
Jack points are at the corners of the vehicle!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Your post is confusing.
Jack points are at the corners of the vehicle!
I think you're just having trouble understanding.

I suppose it depends on the vehicle, but generally, the pinch welds are intended for use with the emergency jack, safety stands, or the 4 lifting pads of a 2-post hoist. Not a floor jack.

If someone can show me a service manual that says a floor jack can be used at the pinch welds, I'd be very surprised.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
I posted this in another thread. These are the common locations for jacking points. My Nissan 240SX, Altima, and Honda Accord are all identical. Those FWD cars is listed specify the rear cross member and tow hook respectively as they don't have a rear differential.

Sep 7, 2007
339 posts
180 upvotes
Woodstock
If your vehicle has pinch weld jacking points, then the factory jack should have a "V" recess. This is the jack for my Dodge Magnum.

Note that the factory jack is mainly intended for changing tires, not extensive maintenance work. Also, the car should be on a level surface and wheels blocked. The pinch welds should be in good shape, not rusted out or damaged.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24377 upvotes
Center of Universe
derass wrote: I think you're just having trouble understanding.

I suppose it depends on the vehicle, but generally, the pinch welds are intended for use with the emergency jack, safety stands, or the 4 lifting pads of a 2-post hoist. Not a floor jack.

If someone can show me a service manual that says a floor jack can be used at the pinch welds, I'd be very surprised.
Post#13!
That's a pinch weld and the jack points as indicated in the owners manual.