• Jun 21st, 2019 5:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4193 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto

Floor Plan Review - Anything to change?

This is a 2,200sqft 2 story (+ basement) full ICF build. The front of the house faces SE and the back of the house faces NW.

I'm happy with the floor plan, but I've only lived in two homes my entire life - and neither of them like this - so maybe you can see an issue that I don't.

For reference, we're a family of 3 with a 1.5-year-old.
Images
  • Main Floor Plan (2).jpg
  • Second Floor Plan (1).jpg
75 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1809 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga
i'm not a fan of laundry upstairs...and you have a room 14.5' x 8' for a laundry room...

i would change the main floor....close off the pantry door in teh kitchen and have the kitchen be a full "L" shaped kitchen.

I would keep the garage door entrance and break down the walk into the pantry and move the laundry into there...

so when you walk in, you will have your laundry and closet space (need to incorporate that in)...

then upstairs, I would add a closet into the previous laundry room and now it should be a 4th room.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4193 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
pardnme wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 1:22 pm
i'm not a fan of laundry upstairs...and you have a room 14.5' x 8' for a laundry room...

i would change the main floor....close off the pantry door in teh kitchen and have the kitchen be a full "L" shaped kitchen.

I would keep the garage door entrance and break down the walk into the pantry and move the laundry into there...

so when you walk in, you will have your laundry and closet space (need to incorporate that in)...

then upstairs, I would add a closet into the previous laundry room and now it should be a 4th room.
So to access the kitchen pantry, I need to walk all the way around? Never gonna fly.

Agreeded that the oversided laundry isn't ideal, but I only have 8ft to work with. That's pretty narrow for a bedroom. Plus it doubles as great 2nd floor storage.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3871 posts
699 upvotes
what about laundry on the main floor between foyer and garage?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4193 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
nx6288 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 1:53 pm
what about laundry on the main floor between foyer and garage?
I'd lose my closet for jackets, shoes, etc.

Look, I'd love to have the laundry on the main floor - I'm just not sure if it's possiable without growing the footprint. Unless I toss the laundry in the garage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9419 posts
1132 upvotes
If you want laundry on second floor that is fine. But I would use the window wall to house sink and appliances. Then the wall where the sink is you can do a built in entire wall shelving unit etc for storage

I also personally think your master bedroom and closet is too small
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3871 posts
699 upvotes
RCGA wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 1:59 pm
I'd lose my closet for jackets, shoes, etc.

Look, I'd love to have the laundry on the main floor - I'm just not sure if it's possiable without growing the footprint. Unless I toss the laundry in the garage.
What if you had a closet where the office would be?
Move laundry to between foyer and garage and move the office upstairs?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2371 posts
330 upvotes
Ancaster
Having a kitchen pantry like yours is invaluable. There is so much storage capacity in there.

If you have room to spare in your dining area you could also put pantry style storage cabinets there too that are not deep so you don’t cut into the dining space too much.
I’d consider making your front closet as deep as possible (like walk-in) for shoe/boot/vacuum storage.

You could also consider a pocket door on your office to give you more usable room in the office. Glass insert if you want to make the foyer feel more open.

That is one massive laundry room. If you’ve got plans for it that’s great. I see the problem you run into though in getting access to it if you try to use the space to make the other rooms bigger.

Are you planning on putting a TV above the fireplace because it looks like with all the windows you have in the family room, that is the only place you’ll have for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4193 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
nielboy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:18 pm
Having a kitchen pantry like yours is invaluable. There is so much storage capacity in there.

If you have room to spare in your dining area you could also put pantry style storage cabinets there too that are not deep so you don’t cut into the dining space too much.
I’d consider making your front closet as deep as possible (like walk-in) for shoe/boot/vacuum storage.

You could also consider a pocket door on your office to give you more usable room in the office. Glass insert if you want to make the foyer feel more open.

That is one massive laundry room. If you’ve got plans for it that’s great. I see the problem you run into though in getting access to it if you try to use the space to make the other rooms bigger.

Are you planning on putting a TV above the fireplace because it looks like with all the windows you have in the family room, that is the only place you’ll have for it.
TV will have to go above the fireplace. Not ideal, but windows > TV. Plus we'll hadly use the fireplace, so I'm not worried about it baking the TV. I think there's about 7ft of room between the windows, so lots of room for a 70"+ TV

Good suggestion on the pocket door for the office.

And by glass insert, do you mean those doors with glass above them?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1862 posts
854 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Leave the laundry on the second floor. Once you have a house with it, you'll never go back to carrying laundry up flights of stairs.
I'd ditch the closet in the master bath and opt for a bigger vanity. I'd also move the hall closet on 2nd floor. Make the 2 bedroom closets a bit bigger and move the hall closet to the end of the hall by the laundry room. That'll shrink the laundry room a bit.

What about making the garage a bit deeper to give you more room and for additional storage.

Good choice on the ICF
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4193 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
Regarding the laundry room....

I'd move my office upstaris, but then I'd have to live with managing the noise. I actually use my office for work, so right next to a bedroom wouldn't be great.

The laundry room is totally overkill, and I don't like it upstaris. Maybe there's some way to bump out the garage and have a trasition there between the main entryway closet.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3871 posts
699 upvotes
RCGA wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:30 pm
Regarding the laundry room....

I'd move my office upstaris, but then I'd have to live with managing the noise. I actually use my office for work, so right next to a bedroom wouldn't be great.

The laundry room is totally overkill, and I don't like it upstaris. Maybe there's some way to bump out the garage and have a trasition there between the main entryway closet.
if moving the office upstairs is the way to go, I would extend the hallway a bit so you have enough room to change the doorway into the office so that it's opposite of the bedroom (if that makes sense). Then you can frame it up so that you can also have a closet in the office but it's also so that you could classify that as a 4th bedroom in the future (for resale purposes).

For noise, have them fill the walls around your office with roxul safe n sound.
Sep 13, 2010
134 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You have a decent overall layout that is functional, efficient, and with plenty of room for growth.

I would eliminate the pocket doors in the Foyer and have framed openings. If possible I would reuse the pocket doors in the Master Bedroom for the ensuite and walk in closet. This would maximize your floor area for space planning purposes. Similarly, I would suggest not using double doors for the closets in Bedrooms 2 and 3. Sliding doors would be more efficient or have built-ins instead.

You can also eliminate the linen closet in the hallway since you already have closets in your bathrooms. This would allow you to increase the closet areas in Bedrooms 2 and 3.

You might want to consider flipping the toilet and linen closet for some added privacy. This would also frame your double sink vanity a little better.

The kitchen island is going to look wonderful. I hope builder is including a waterfall edge.

Good Luck and All the best!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
How about swapping the locations of the upstairs common bathroom and laundry room? That way you can:

1) Have a larger bathroom with possibility to add an additional door to the front bedroom (ensuite/jack and jill).

2) Smaller laundry room

3) Enlarge master bedroom slightly by narrowing the laundry room
Jun 11, 2006
246 posts
161 upvotes
I personally love having a 2nd floor laundry room, though the size of yours does seem sized disproportionately comparison to the other rooms. If you did move it elsewhere I would make that a little open/loft area. (Perhaps a play area for your child)

Also, I assume that is a 1.5 car garage? Ours is 17' and supposed to be a 2 car garage, but the only way that works is if you park in opposite directions and hug the walls -- so no storage.