Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan

FlowTite Push Pull Valves

So I recently had to replace my Moen Kitchen Faucet because the quickconnect hydrolock broke on me and started leaking on the seams. I've never replaced a faucet before but I felt comfortable doing it myself. I found out that all the shut-off valves in my house are plastic FlowTite Push Pull Valves. The threads are plastic too and the entire thing gives me anxiety. Why would the builder cheap out on something so insignificant!! I mean it's probably because every little penny counts to them...

Anyhow, I was wondering how durable these valves are and if these plastic supply valves can crack over time especially if overtightened. Or should I not be worried if there are no leaks after the install has been completed? When I initially installed the supply lines to the valve, I was scared of overtightening but when I turned the valves on, I got splashed everywhere. So I tightened it more and more until it stopped leaking.

I was considering replacing the flowtite valves with proper valves but I was convinced that it wasn't necessary.
4 replies
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
They aren’t as durable as a good ball valve but they will get the job done esp since you don’t touch them very often.

I’d replace them as necessary or when doing significant work on the line otherwise I just let them be unless you are looking for a project.

As for why, majority of builders grudgingly do the least required by law as it’s going to be your problem when you take possession. It’s what we accepted because you can build a house with elmers glue and people would buy it unseen.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
keddie2 wrote: They aren’t as durable as a good ball valve but they will get the job done esp since you don’t touch them very often.

I’d replace them as necessary or when doing significant work on the line otherwise I just let them be unless you are looking for a project.

As for why, majority of builders grudgingly do the least required by law as it’s going to be your problem when you take possession. It’s what we accepted because you can build a house with elmers glue and people would buy it unseen.
Shutoff valves for a kitchen faucet are not required by code so the builder didn’t completely cheap out
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8178 posts
5091 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote: Shutoff valves for a kitchen faucet are not required by code so the builder didn’t completely cheap out
No, they just half-assed it.

Shutoffs at fixtures make life as a homeowner so much easier when it comes to plumbing maintenance.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
mrweather wrote: No, they just half-assed it.

Shutoffs at fixtures make life as a homeowner so much easier when it comes to plumbing maintenance.
I agree, and they make it easier for life as a plumber as well
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide