Travel

Flying to California from Toronto

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 6:20 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 6, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes

Flying to California from Toronto

Anyone flown to and from California (SF) recently on AC direct flight to share their experience from covid safety aspect? I heard a month ago they were flying almost 50% capacity so adequate distancing in the plane, but wondering what the situation is now? Unfortunately need to travel for an emergent basis, but am a high risk individual :(
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2309 posts
355 upvotes
North York
I looked up the seat availability for AC 793 - YYZ>LAX departing today at 6:30PM, I'd say the flight is about 20%-30% full.

Some factors to consider
- Flight departing Toronto to California is probably much lower risk than the return trip because of the low case count in Toronto
- If you are high risk individual, I strongly recommend wearing at least KN95 / N95 mask throughout the flight. Do not eat in flight is possible. Drink when everyone is done eating.
- The air quality on the plane is one of the cleanest air you can have indoor. The air is completely replaced after 1.5-2 minutes.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10294 posts
3478 upvotes
I can’t seem to find the link but I recall recently that air Canada will proactively let you know if a flight is nearing full and let you take the next flight or within 3 days or something.

Regardless I don’t believe social distancing on airplanes works.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22785 posts
21626 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
If you are in the HIGH RISK group
As you say
Then I know that if it was me ...
It would have to be some BIG ASS EMERGENCY
To get me on a plane at this time *
Let alone head over the border to the USA

* I’d sooner drive than fly ... cuz then you are more isolated
But I do realize that’s not a possibility right now with the Border CLOSED

Latest Flying News for Covid in Canada = https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5036897

And California ...
Ya no
They are a definite hot spot right now ... with numbers dramatically increasing
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1173421

Looks a lot like ALL of Canada if you compare numbers
CANADA
Pop = 37.59 Million
Cases = 113,879
Deaths = 8,880

CALIFORNIA
Pop = 39.51 Million
Cases = 434,000
Deaths = 8,202

Officially now the worst hit Coronavirus State in the union
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 6, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks, great tips. How do you tell how full a flight is?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1608 posts
941 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warrior2009 wrote: Thanks, great tips. How do you tell how full a flight is?
You would have to use a paid third party service like Expert Flyer to know for sure. You can't really rely on the seat map as many people booking standard fare will not select seats until checkin.

The app will show you if the flight is full 24 hours before departure and in my experience you will get an email about 18 hours before telling you the flight is full.
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
980 posts
763 upvotes
warrior2009 wrote: Thanks, great tips. How do you tell how full a flight is?
If you’re flying Canada to US with no connections, the likelihood of a near empty flight is fairly high right now from all the anecdotal information I’ve read about n other forums. Given current times, if you call a few days before they may even tell you, whereas they normally would definitely not.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2002
634 posts
202 upvotes
Upper Thornhill
Side note:
Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of the ease/difficulty coming back to Canada through customs?
Could they deny U entry because it’s considered non-essential travel?
Feel the fear but do it anyway.
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
980 posts
763 upvotes
CivicGSR wrote: Side note:
Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of the ease/difficulty coming back to Canada through customs?
Could they deny U entry because it’s considered non-essential travel?
If you are Canadian and have a quarantine plan which respects the rules you should have no trouble according to people I know who have crossed.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22785 posts
21626 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CivicGSR wrote: Side note:
Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of the ease/difficulty coming back to Canada through customs?
Could they deny U entry because it’s considered non-essential travel?
As per the law, as a Cdn Citizen, you CANNOT BE DENIED ENTRY TO CANADA
But ... you can certainly be delayed by CBSA for various reasons ...
Including normal Secondary Inspection
Or in the case of the current pandemic ...
To quiz you / advise you / or have Public Health Educate you on YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES to Quarantine

As @dolfan1980 says ...
If you’ve thought thru your Return Plan to Canada ahead of time
(NO PUBLIC TRANSIT from the airport ... and WHERE you will Quarantine / Isolate for 14 Days ... and HOW you will support yourself in Quarantine ... get groceries etc)
Then the more likely that getting thru this new part of the Canada Customs Interview will go quickly.
Member
Mar 6, 2018
204 posts
161 upvotes
I am in a similar situation where I have flights booked for September, flying to San Francisco via American Airlines. I booked the flights (only $250 and change) using my TD Rewards. However, with the covid data coming out of California I am hesitant to travel there. However, my objective is to pick up a car at SFO and drive directly to Yosemite and stay within for two weeks. Does any one think it's still a high risk activity to go ahead with?

Alternatively, does any one know what the procedure is nowadays to change my flight booked via TD Rewards? So torn about making this decision.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5115 posts
1735 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't speak for the AC flight, but they stopped blocking the middle seat.

I do work in the states and travel once a month, my last flight on Delta from DTW to YYZ in the beginning on July had only 11 passengers.

IMO based on my experience flying, the flying part is the safest part of the journey. The airline has already taken all the precaution and forcing people to wear mask all the time. The biggest risk I would say is at security and customs at the airport. No one follows social distancing and they claim they clean the bins, but it never happens. TSA don't have the staff to do that.

Also, since you're high risk, don't be afraid to wear as much PPE as you like. I've seen people in full PPE gear head to toe, not just face mask.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13035 posts
8281 upvotes
Markham
What's current quarantine policy?

I hope no one can fly back from high risk areas without first quarantine 14 days at home
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1608 posts
941 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
smartie wrote: What's current quarantine policy?

I hope no one can fly back from high risk areas without first quarantine 14 days at home
All people entering Canada are required to self isolate for 14 days. Does not matter where you come from.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22785 posts
21626 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: What's current quarantine policy?

I hope no one can fly back from high risk areas without first quarantine 14 days at home
dr_torch wrote: All people entering Canada are required to self isolate for 14 days. Does not matter where you come from.
This

There are very few exceptions (re Essential Workers) ... and even they have restrictions on movement between shifts / going back & forth across the border

Here’s the current Govt of Canada / Health Canada / Public Health Rules by classification ... includes info on how to correctly ISOLATE in each circumstance (with or without Covid )

* Travellers WITHOUT symptoms = https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html

* Travellers WITH symptoms = https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... anada.html

* Living With / Caring for someone who has Covid = https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ivers.html
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 6, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks guys. Not sure if anyone would know, but what if I try to drive to California instead (it’ll be 2-3 days but atleast safer by staying in own car). Would US border people allow ? Any way to find out in advance?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4648 posts
552 upvotes
Regardless of how you get there, you have to quarantine 2 weeks when you're back. There's no way around that at all.

Also don't expect to get any sort of travel insurance. You're on your own for that.
Based on that alone, I'd not go to the US.
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 6, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Thankfully I have group travel insurance through work which doesn’t have any pandemic exclusion, so I’m covered there. If it wasn’t absolutely necessary I wouldn’t have wanted to venture myself but unfortunately that’s how life works sometimes.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1608 posts
941 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warrior2009 wrote: Thanks guys. Not sure if anyone would know, but what if I try to drive to California instead (it’ll be 2-3 days but atleast safer by staying in own car). Would US border people allow ? Any way to find out in advance?
The land border is closed for non essential travel. If your travel is essential and you have a valid reason to enter then I would assume you can drive.

What is your essential reason to travel to California?

Top