• Aug 9th, 2021 12:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1162 posts
1096 upvotes

Flying with westjet

Anyone flew with westjet recently? Trying to figure out basic vs econo if it's worth it. Due to COVID, both have free modification/cancelation.

When I called the agent, they said it's mostly for seats, because with basic, you get a seat assigned and it costs significantly more vs econo to change the seat. Also, no free seat selection within 24hr of checkin. Is this correct?

Other than this and no westjet dollars accumulation, there is no other difference from what I can see.

The no free seat selection within 24hr of checkin is quite important to me, and if true, I will want to probably book the econo for the extra $25 or so difference. But is this really true or the agent just said that to push me for the econo?
TV: $0 via IP (slingbox) | Cell: $5 4GB*6 = 24GB
Internet: $10 fibre 30mbps up/down unlimited | Home phone: $0 via VoIP (freephoneline)

Telecos monthly cost: $16.45 after tax
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6576 posts
3733 upvotes
Toronto
Basic does not come with free seat selection at any time. Each passenger is given an assigned seat, and there is no guarantee that couples, families and other groups will be seated together. In fact in the past I've tried Basic with Westjet and my wife and I were seated (far) apart even though the flight wasn't full. I called in to ask if this could be changed and the answer I got led me to believe that this was not an error, i.e., that if you don't want to be deliberately given the worst seats, don't choose Basic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1162 posts
1096 upvotes
Manatus wrote: Basic does not come with free seat selection at any time. Each passenger is given an assigned seat, and there is no guarantee that couples, families and other groups will be seated together. In fact in the past I've tried Basic with Westjet and my wife and I were seated (far) apart even though the flight wasn't full. I called in to ask if this could be changed and the answer I got led me to believe that this was not an error, i.e., that if you don't want to be deliberately given the worst seats, don't choose Basic.
Was the agent over the phone willing to move one of you to sit together? And it cost quite significantly to change seats yourself online even within the 24hr checkin window?
Internet: $10 fibre 30mbps up/down unlimited | Home phone: $0 via VoIP (freephoneline)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6576 posts
3733 upvotes
Toronto
MrBungal wrote: Was the agent over the phone willing to move one of you to sit together? And it cost quite significantly to change seats yourself online even within the 24hr checkin window?
No. They basically said the computer says this is where you're sitting - if I remember correctly, it would have cost as much to select seats within the 24h checkin window as it did before. We ended up risking it, not paying and hoping that there would be free seats together after take-off (which worked out). Wouldn't do it again as it just adds stress.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1162 posts
1096 upvotes
Manatus wrote: No. They basically said the computer says this is where you're sitting - if I remember correctly, it would have cost as much to select seats within the 24h checkin window as it did before. We ended up risking it, not paying and hoping that there would be free seats together after take-off (which worked out). Wouldn't do it again as it just adds stress.
Ah ok, so if after takeoff or during boarding, if seats were empty then you could've changed seats.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)