None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4669 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto

Folder sharing win7 pro - peer to peer

I should know how to do this but I've been having a brain block on this one for the last few days. Home office situation using Win7pro on a peer to peer network set up as a Workgroup rather than HomeGroup. So far I've been able to set up all the appropriate file shares for the business by //computer/user on a NAS. I hit a snag, my accounting software (Simply Accounting Pro) uses SQL for multi user mode. It won't work nicely off a Linux NAS - it requires the data be on Windows machine with the appropriate folder permissions.

So I need to set the data folder with the appropriate user permissions. Can I do this without the folder being shown on the network lists, or do I need to hide the folder after setting up the permissions and accounting software? All I need to do for the accounting software is point the software to the data files once and it will automatically open the date files for each user. I can then hide the path to the data from within the accounting software. Hiding it from Windows network locations is another story.

I'm thinking while using the appropriate administrator accounts ...
For the data folder on one computer (desktop) I set the permissions to a new user group "Accounting".
In the "Accounting" user group I add the users from each computer e.g.:
//Desktop/User1
//Desktop/User2
//Laptop/User1
//Laptop/User2
Then give the "Accounting" group read/write permissions to the data folder.

Fire up the accounting software on each computer for each user and point the software to the accounting data folder.

Then hide the accounting data folder on the desktop.

Am I missing something?
2 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I hope you have a domain going if you're using Windows for folder permissions because it does it really stupidly otherwise.

Also have you tried using Linux? Assuming you're just exposing a CIFS share with permissions there shouldn't be any way that the application knows it's not being hosted on Windows.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4669 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I hope you have a domain going if you're using Windows for folder permissions because it does it really stupidly otherwise.

Also have you tried using Linux? Assuming you're just exposing a CIFS share with permissions there shouldn't be any way that the application knows it's not being hosted on Windows.
Nope, no domain - I'll have to do it the stupid way with windows.

As for Linux, I loosely used the word to imply it was the OS on my Lenovo ix2 NAS that many of us here bought last year. I've read somewhere that some have been able to store the data on a NAS and use iSCSI, which the ix2 is capable of. But that is a whole new learning curve for me.

The need for a network share comes from the "Simply Accounting Connection Manager" which is a side program that handles connections to the database (via ODBC & MySQL server?) This sort of explains it: http://sagecity.na.sage.com/support_com ... 50/t/62981

This link explains how the "connection manger" works: https://partners.sagenorthamerica.com/i ... 32065.html