• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2017 2:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
^ yeah good luck...that's probably as futile as avoiding made in china products.

a GOOD majority of displays are made by LG even if it's not branded as such...look at all the professional stuff from Dell. They also have the entire OLED TV segment cornered.

The point of the thread is to educate those looking at door crashers...not really a caution to avoid the brand altogether.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 18, 2012
215 posts
153 upvotes
Oshawa
I picked up the LG 50UH5500 on black Friday at Costco for $649. I believe the IPS panels are the ones to stay away from if you want better blacks. They are I guess 3K panels in reality. They have a extra white pixel. reducing the RGB by 25 percent. The UH5500 is a VA panel and is RGB. It produces a very good image when watching 4K streaming from Netflix with very good blacks. No complaints with this lower tier 4K TV from LG. I did pick this one over the more expensive panels with the IPS RGBW pixel arrangement. The IPS panels had noticeably gray 'BLACKS' when watching side by side with a LG VA panel in an electronics store I visited.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless
Jan 27, 2013
844 posts
930 upvotes
CONFUSED, 65UH5500 a real 4k set? Or should I go with 65 curved Sammy. And where are the console with a purchase of TV Deals
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10513 posts
1713 upvotes
LG's low end UH5500 is a real 4k 10bits VA panel and is surprisingly good, I would say as good or better than the $699 Samsung KU6270/6290/6300.

RGBW is fine as long as you use it as a TV instead of monitor. It is hard to tell the difference for typical usage.

Bias opinions from LG and Samsung, LG shows the advantage of IPS panel and two weak arguments that they are real 4k. Samsung video tried to show the weakness of RGBW panel but unable to do so. The fact is white pixels are so dominant so a bit more of white pixels won't impact the overall picture significantly. If you ask me, that's a smart way to cut down cost and power consumption, perfect equation for living room TV. But there is no point for it when there are better options available for the same price (e.g. UH5500, KU62xx/6300)

RFDQ1016 wrote: OP is talking about the RGBW pixel structure which LG uses on low end TVs.
MakeItCheap wrote: CONFUSED, 65UH5500 a real 4k set? Or should I go with 65 curved Sammy. And where are the console with a purchase of TV Deals

IPS is good when wide viewing angle is needed. Sony has very good IPS 4k panel but Android bootup time is long and defects the purpose fora living room TV. The UH5500 is a great TV for all SD/1080p/4k contents, acceptable internal speakers, WebOS is instant-on, I was concerned about its power consumption but I measured only 63W/hr, that's not bad for a 50". The Samsung 62XX/6300 should be a good choice too. If you want to use the TV for gaming, get the Samsung.

sandalwood wrote: I picked up the LG 50UH5500 on black Friday at Costco for $649. I believe the IPS panels are the ones to stay away from if you want better blacks. They are I guess 3K panels in reality. They have a extra white pixel. reducing the RGB by 25 percent. The UH5500 is a VA panel and is RGB. It produces a very good image when watching 4K streaming from Netflix with very good blacks. No complaints with this lower tier 4K TV from LG. I did pick this one over the more expensive panels with the IPS RGBW pixel arrangement. The IPS panels had noticeably gray 'BLACKS' when watching side by side with a LG VA panel in an electronics store I visited.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
Remember folks, LG = Lucky Goldstar
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2902 posts
288 upvotes
Nations Capital
82 wrote:
IPS is good when wide viewing angle is needed. Sony has very good IPS 4k panel but Android bootup time is long and defects the purpose fora living room TV. The UH5500 is a great TV for all SD/1080p/4k contents, acceptable internal speakers, WebOS is instant-on, I was concerned about its power consumption but I measured only 63W/hr, that's not bad for a 50". The Samsung 62XX/6300 should be a good choice too. If you want to use the TV for gaming, get the Samsung.
Actually I find the UH5500 pretty good for gaming. I haven't noticed any lag at all. Mind you my eyes are far from perfect, and i'm no expert gamer. But it works perfectly fine for general gaming IMHO.

Now if your really into gaming and wanted the fasted response times, then I guess the other TV would be better as 82 pointed out.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Jan 27, 2013
844 posts
930 upvotes
[So 65UH5500 is real?

quote=RFDQ1016 post_id=27227829 time=1482185554 user_id=285273]
Yes

UH6030
UH6150
UH6550

All fake 4k

UH5500 and UH7650/7700, UH8500 are real 4k
[/quote]
Dec 20, 2016
5 posts
I bought LG 50UH5500 on Black Friday from Costco 770$ (with tax). well, generally It was satisfiable for me at the begining, especially if we look at it as a money wise perspective. Although it's written 4K, the colour saturation significantly decreases when you are watching TV laterally. Moreover, after using almost 7 days, green flashes appeared spontaneously on the screen panel followed by a pink ones while watching TV. After contacting the Costco tech support, they recommended me to return the TV! They are going to send me new one. Well, literally, I'm now hesitating to get a new one or not?!!
Any idea why that happened? Was it because it was LG? or it may appear in any brand no matter how expensive it is.( mean the green flashes)
I was wondering to go for samsung 55ku7000 which is absolutely more expensive than LGUH5500. Does it worth it? Costco.ca does not have the samsung 55ku7000 ( I'd rather Costco since it has a 2 year free tech support and 90 days full refund), So only Best Buy has this SamTV on sale on Boxing day (approximately 1380$ (after tax)) with two years warranty protection plan which will be sth around 1580$ and I think they have only 30 days of return and full refund!)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2902 posts
288 upvotes
Nations Capital
PooriaG754054 wrote: I bought LG 50UH5500 on Black Friday from Costco 770$ (with tax). well, generally It was satisfiable for me at the begining, especially if we look at it as a money wise perspective. Although it's written 4K, the colour saturation significantly decreases when you are watching TV laterally. Moreover, after using almost 7 days, green flashes appeared spontaneously on the screen panel followed by a pink ones while watching TV. After contacting the Costco tech support, they recommended me to return the TV! They are going to send me new one. Well, literally, I'm now hesitating to get a new one or not?!!
Any idea why that happened? Was it because it was LG? or it may appear in any brand no matter how expensive it is.( mean the green flashes)
I was wondering to go for samsung 55ku7000 which is absolutely more expensive than LGUH5500. Does it worth it? Costco.ca does not have the samsung 55ku7000 ( I'd rather Costco since it has a 2 year free tech support and 90 days full refund), So only Best Buy has this SamTV on sale on Boxing day (approximately 1380$ (after tax)) with two years warranty protection plan which will be sth around 1580$ and I think they have only 30 days of return and full refund!)
Mine is working perfectly, with none of those issues.

Have you updated the FW? there have been 4 since i got my TV setup.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote: ^ yeah good luck...that's probably as futile as avoiding made in china products.

a GOOD majority of displays are made by LG even if it's not branded as such...look at all the professional stuff from Dell. They also have the entire OLED TV segment cornered.

The point of the thread is to educate those looking at door crashers...not really a caution to avoid the brand altogether.
My last "Dell" branded product is a XPS from a few years ago so again not like i buy much from Dell either (i used to buy nothing but Dell monitors when Sharp/Samsung were making them, oddly i switched to Asus when they switched to LG and i didn't even realized they switched until after i did). I was considering OLED but figure i'll wait till next year or even later. Tho honestly i was more likely to buy a Vizio P-series than a LG OLED.

Like i said at the end of my post tho, i'm pretty sure my powerbanks (at least some) have LG battery inside. They made a lot of parts on top of a lot of products so its impossible to avoid them completely but i also generally buy the competition/competing products over them everytime for some reason. I.e. I went S6 Edge over G4, S7 Edge over G5, iphone 7+ AND Pixel over V20 (yeah i change phones a lot). Washer/Dryer = Samsung (recall models >.>), same with Oven/Fridge and TVs are all Samsung, Sony, and Vizio...

Basically the only possible LG products in my house are powerbanks (pretty sure XM uses LG battery) and a 13" XPS panel.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
dmurphy22 wrote: Thanks for the heads up, I had 1k earmarked for that 60'' LG at best buy. Kind of disappointed now though :(

So, what's the next best pick? I can go a little higher (Would like to be < 1300 after tax) for the right TV and would like 55'' or greater. I was looking at the UH5500 but it's closer to 1500 after tax and I don't know how I would explain it :P
You can get the Samsung 55"" 6270 model for $899 + taxes at the BestBuy on Dundas Street. You don't even need to line up for that. It's basically the BFriday price.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10513 posts
1713 upvotes
4k and color saturation are two things, especially the UH5500 does not have the so-called fake 4K RGBW panel. When I googled "Green Flash", both Samsung and LG came up, and mostly related to gaming. What circumstance did you encounter "green splash"?

I don't know about the KU7000 but according to rting, its picture quality is very similar to KU6270/6290/6300.
PooriaG754054 wrote: I bought LG 50UH5500 on Black Friday from Costco 770$ (with tax). well, generally It was satisfiable for me at the begining, especially if we look at it as a money wise perspective. Although it's written 4K, the colour saturation significantly decreases when you are watching TV laterally. Moreover, after using almost 7 days, green flashes appeared spontaneously on the screen panel followed by a pink ones while watching TV. After contacting the Costco tech support, they recommended me to return the TV! They are going to send me new one. Well, literally, I'm now hesitating to get a new one or not?!!
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed