• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2018 8:09 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes

Fongo Alternatives

Hello All,

I tried to transfer my Telus number to fongo but got a message that my number is not available to be transferred. I’m looking for an alternative service I can park my number but still use an app to make and receive calls.

Thank you for your help
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
needadvice5 wrote: Hello All,

I tried to transfer my Telus number to fongo but got a message that my number is not available to be transferred. I’m looking for an alternative service I can park my number but still use an app to make and receive calls.

Thank you for your help
You need to find the reason why you cannot port out. If you can't port out to Fongo, you can't park your number anywhere too. Do you have a balance of that particular Telus account?
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: You need to find the reason why you cannot port out. If you can't port out to Fongo, you can't park your number anywhere too. Do you have a balance of that particular Telus account?
Hello,

Thanks for the replay. I do not have a balance owing on telus. They didn't even try to port the number. I got the message once i inputted all my information.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
needadvice5 wrote: Hello,Thanks for the replay. I do not have a balance owing on telus. They didn't even try to port the number. I got the message once i inputted all my information.
I doubt that is the case. Fongo charges $25 for porting in. Why would they turn away from making money? It does not make sense at all.
Daniel

[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I doubt that is the case. Fongo charges $25 for porting in. Why would they turn away from making money? It does not make sense at all.
I'm not to sure. I'm waiting on a reply back from their support team. So thought I'd get some alternatives just incase.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
needadvice5 wrote: I'm not to sure. I'm waiting on a reply back from their support team. So thought I'd get some alternatives just incase.
Try to double check the following:
1. Name of the account at Telus exactly matching the name you register with Fongo
2. Account and phone #?
3. Is the Telus account tied up with something (or someone) else? Say your Telus account is for a joint account
Daniel

[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Try to double check the following:
1. Name of the account at Telus exactly matching the name you register with Fongo
2. Account and phone #?
3. Is the Telus account tied up with something (or someone) else? Say your Telus account is for a joint account
I just tried again and both names match, put in Telus and account number in. I am the only one on the account and I still got the message “Unfortunately the number (my number) is not available to be transferred to Fongo. We apologize for the inconvenience” :(
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
If Telus is too complicated to port over to Fongo, then worst case scenario, port to a prepaid option like Bell or Virgin, then once ported over, initiate the port request with Fongo. The sim card is $5 or $10, but might off-set your monthly rate with Telus.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
Looks like I'll have to wait till Monday to get a response from fongo. Has anyone ported their telus number to fongo and had trouble?
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
needadvice5 wrote: Looks like I'll have to wait till Monday to get a response from fongo. Has anyone ported their telus number to fongo and had trouble?
What is the area code and first 3 digits of your phone number?
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
needadvice5 wrote: I pm'd it to you
The city in which you're # belongs has two area codes. According to Fongo, they only offer numbers there for the newer area code. They likely are not set up to port in your number due to this. I'd wait to hear back from support to see if they're able to port it in for you.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 06#ontario
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: The city in which you're # belongs has two area codes. According to Fongo, they only offer numbers there for the newer area code. They likely are not set up to port in your number due to this. I'd wait to hear back from support to see if they're able to port it in for you.

Thanks for your help
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WorldIRC wrote: The city in which you're # belongs has two area codes. According to Fongo, they only offer numbers there for the newer area code. They likely are not set up to port in your number due to this. I'd wait to hear back from support to see if they're able to port it in for you.

Even if Fongo only has overlay area code numbers for a given city, they should be able to port in the original area code numbers. Example in Toronto, they only offer 647 & 437 numbers, but you could port in a 416 number.

I would imagine that a number from a city outside of Fongo's coverage area might not be possible to port.

Although I do admit that there are a few prefixes that won't work with certain carriers despite being within coverage area.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
titaniumtux wrote: Although I do admit that there are a few prefixes that won't work with certain carriers despite being within coverage area.
Hence my suggestion for them to hear from Fongo support.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Aug 25, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
I talked with Fongo this morning and they were able to do a manual transfer :)
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
needadvice5 wrote: I talked with Fongo this morning and they were able to do a manual transfer :)
Sounds like nothing more than a simple glitch in their tool that qualifies numbers then :-) Glad it worked out!
RFD Forums Moderator
Oct 27, 2018
2 posts
Hi,
The fongo free text and talk app in android is not compatible for phones with latest andriod version. Is there any alternatives to use?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)