• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 10:34 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
219 posts
258 upvotes

Fongo ATA $49

One line only. Then $5 monthly for the service. Is it a good deal?

*Update*
Webslinger is the official Redflagdeals voip guru, so for details... read his posts!

In 2016, I don't think it's worth it to keep paying $20-40 a month just so your dentist or doctor can leave a message on your answering machine.
Do the math, switching to voip offers a great ROI

If you're looking for a simple solution to switch to voip, especially if you have children at home or health issue (you need 911), Fongo home and Ooma are worth looking at.
If you're tech savvy, FreePhoneLine.ca and voip.ms are better solutions.
Finally if you're looking for free calls with friends or family, many apps do offer that like like Viber, Skype and Messenger.

My setup: outgoing calls with Google Voice (free), incoming voip.ms (one single phone number at home (Obi 202) and on my cell phone).
Last edited by ChrisR on Nov 5th, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
134 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5813 posts
2294 upvotes
Canuckland
Keep in mind this is NOT freephoneline!

$49(device)+$60/year=$169/2 years

FPA = $50+$80/lifetime=$130/lifetime

Pick your poison
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
DealCanuck wrote: Keep in mind this is NOT freephoneline!

$49(device)+$60/year=$169/2 years

FPA = $50+$80/lifetime=$130/lifetime

Pick your poison
+1
Freephoneline + Obi200 >>> than this
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3501 posts
1563 upvotes
'Shwallywood
I'm on voip.ms and its been stellar
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
219 posts
258 upvotes
I'm using voip.ms with obihai 202...
I was wondering if it would be a good option for friends or family. It's still cheaper than telcos, though not the cheapest or most advanced voip solution there is.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1832 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
Google voice + voip.ms + obi202 win.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Mar 18, 2013
253 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
kanata2004 wrote: Google voice + voip.ms + obi202 win.
Can you please provide some details on how you have your set up?
May 11, 2014
112 posts
93 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ChrisR wrote: I'm using voip.ms with obihai 202...
I was wondering if it would be a good option for friends or family. It's still cheaper than telcos, though not the cheapest or most advanced voip solution there is.
Definitively, Paying 20$ a month for a home phone line it is a lot and unless you really need it, voip it is an elegant solution. I am using freephoneline and I have no issues. There is a post somewhere made by WEBSLINGER (he's the jedi master of voip :) ) how to check your connection to fongo/freephoneline servers to estimate if you will have issues with the quality of the calls, You can check that in advance. And looks like you know a lot about voip, so you can help them. O I forgot, Fongo PROVIDES support, it is not like freephoneline.
Fongo is what I would suggest to anybody willing to pay 5$/month for a full feature home phone line. It is a solid company,
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1832 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
webpromoinc wrote:
kanata2004 wrote: Google voice + voip.ms + obi202 win.
You need USA IP address and an USA phone number to get google voice number. It's for outgoing only.

Get voip.ms account , Canada incoming only.

Buy obi202 in Amazon.ca

Change dialplan and use line 1 only or both line. It's your choice.

Can you please provide some details on how you have your set up?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Anyone looking for Obihai ATAs, should be going to Newegg.ca--and not Amazon Canada, which is not an official retailer. The prices on Amazon.ca are higher, and the Obihai ATAs on Amazon.ca, at the time of this writing, are sold by third party sellers. Conversely, Amazon.com in the U.S. is an official Obihai retailer.

For those that want to learn about Obihai ATAs, start here: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2046832/

The Grandstream ATA being sold by Fongo lacks the powerful routing capacity of Obihai ATAs.

What's a bit unfortunate with Fongo Home Phone is that I can do more with Freephoneline and an Obihai ATA with respect to blocking telemarketers and routing calls elsewhere than Fongo Home Phone can do with their own equipment they sell. It's the same company. One service is charging monthly fees and forcing customers to buy inferior ATAs to use it.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 4th, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
I was going to go with Magicjack for $4.00 a month, and anyone in the world can call me free as well. Does this do the same thing but cheaper?
Jan 25, 2006
25 posts
6 upvotes
Kitchener
I've been running this for about 2 years and it has been great. You can spend less money with the options discussed by others, but if you are not very technical, with this unit you can just plug it in and it works.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:I was going to go with Magicjack for $4.00 a month, and anyone in the world can call me free as well. Does this do the same thing but cheaper?

MJ is, imo, the bottom of the barrel. They tend to use cheap carrier options, in my experience, and international call quality can suffer.
MJ doesn't have the greatest reputation either: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_pho ... cjack.html

You pay yearly fees with MJ.
You pay a one time fee for Freephoneline for as long as you use FPL.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 6th, 2016 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
By the way, VoIP.ms uses Fibernetics as one of its carriers. Some of VoIP.ms' DIDs or phone numbers are owned by Fibernetics, which, in turn, owns Fongo Mobile, Fongo Home Phone, and Freephoneline.

Bolded emphasis is mine. "Some of [VoIP.ms'] service is, literally, identical" to Freephoneline.

question-about-telephone-service-option ... #p25468891
Pianoguy wrote:FreePhoneLine and VoIP.ms provide very similar services. The pricing structure is different, and VoIP.ms has more complex inbound call routing options, but the actual VoIP is the same. VoIP.ms even uses Fibernetics (Freephoneline's parent company) as one of their carriers, so some of the service is literally identical.

Fibernetics owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo and is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada and the largest telecommunication company in the Waterloo region. FPL/Fongo generates revenue from incoming phone calls or termination fees to its network in addition to the fees paid by its customers. The more phone calls made to their network, the more money they make. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.

Fibernetics also operates/owns Nucleus Information Service, Worldline.ca, 1011295.com, 295.ca, Vonix, NEWT, etc.

Fibernetics has been around since 1997.

I'm not a fan of Fongo Mobile for voice calls nor Fongo Home Phone.

I don't like Fongo Mobile because the app restricts me from doing what I want with a SIP service (for example, the iOS app doesn't currently allow changes to the audio codec being used on the fly, and it doesn't let me make SIP URI calls), and Fongo Home Phone, if I were to use it, would force me to buy Fongo's ATA, which I don't want (Obihai ATAs are significantly more powerful in terms of features) and pay monthly fees.

I do love Fongo Mobile as a free incoming fax phone number. Incoming faxes appear right in the app, once they are picked up by voicemail, which I find very convenient. Based on that alone I paid to remove ads. Fongo doesn't advertise it, but they support T.38 fax protocol.

They do want everyone to buy Fongo Home Phone instead of FPL though. $59.4+tax/yr ongoing vs. $79.95+tax lifetime
Obviously, there's more revenue from Fongo Home Phone over time.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 4th, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1832 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
If I don't buy the "remove ad", nor text option, will I lose Fongo phone number after 90 days?

I don't think so since I had an ancient Fongo number I stop using for one year. Just use it recently after IOS 10 released. Now Fongo works great on iOS 10.
bought the cheapest texting option so that I would never lose my phone number due to 90 days of inactivity. F