• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 10:34 am
Jan 5, 2005
103 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll run another test on Sunday between 8pm to 11pm if I could remember.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
kumo wrote: The SIP passthrough is disabled on my Asus router. It's running the stock firmware not AsusWRT, hope it will work as well.
AsusWRT is stock firmware.

Yes, it works. I have tested using an RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, and an RT-AC3200. SIP Passthrough also works with FPL when it's enabled.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 8th, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1614 posts
171 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
1. If battery life isn't an issue, I should be selecting UDP for better call quality on a 3G/4G data network?

2. Groundwire has "push notifications", That's great! ...I would rather have that, over Media5-fone, for that option and also the "record option too. :(

3. Now, let's just say everything went VoIP (hypothetically), and you had to choose a phone, service and soft phone. Would you run iPhone, Groundwire and FPL for this setup? If FPL had a TCP setting, would you use that or keep on using UDP? Would you use the "push notifications" offered by acrobits to save that battery life?

What I'm getting at, which you probably already figured, is I'm trying to find the absolute best way of setting my VoIP on my cell. If it means getting an iPhone, so be it. :)

4. I am with VoIP.ms, can we say their service and FPL are pretty much equal quality with a few minor differences?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1614 posts
171 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. I'm not sure how well it works on Android, but back when I was testing on iOS, it would drop calls when handing off between wi-fi and cellular data networks when using UDP transport. On iOS, Groundwire doesn't do that (I'm not sure about Groundwire on Android).

And maybe I missed them (I deleted the app quickly), but I didn't see a record option nor video codec support (but I only tried using that was a business video conference server with Groundwire) at the time, but I didn't look very hard either.
Were you referring to Zoiper or Media5-fone? Or both :D
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
I have to wonder if all the Fongo fanboys on this thread actually work for Fongo.

I'm looking at the Reviews for Fongo on the Android app store and the bad reviews are equally worse compared to Magicjack. Even though people say them in a sweet way.

It seems like a high percentage of people are having call quality issues where I've never had a single call quality issue in the many years that I've spent using Magiccjack.

Four stars and 8,023 reviews: Fongo Android Reviews

Four stars and 204,052 reviews: Magicjack Android Reviews
Last edited by scoobydoo on Nov 7th, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: I have to wonder if all the Fongo fanboys on this thread actually work for Fongo. I'm looking at the Reviews for Fongo on the Android app store and the bad reviews are actually worse than Magicjack. Even though people say them in a sweet way.

It seems like a high percentage of people are having call quality issues where I've never had a single call quality issue in the many years that I've spent using Magiccjack.

Fongo Android Reviews
I use fongo and I don't many problems. It is no different than wind has cell reception problem. You are getting something free and epect 100% up time. I really don't have problem with Fongo. Used it from Europe and Many cities in US.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1614 posts
171 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: I have to wonder if all the Fongo fanboys on this thread actually work for Fongo. I'm looking at the Reviews for Fongo on the Android app store and the bad reviews are actually worse than Magicjack. Even though people say them in a sweet way.

Fongo Android Reviews
Fongo works great for iOS 10. I have also used it on Android and all I can say is, "it's not as good when using on Android compared to iOS 10". It might also depend on which cell phone is being used as well.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
I think I might have to buy Fongo after reading this review about Magicjack:

Asearah Umbra : Misleading advertising Free calling on mobile? Only if you've already purchased their device. I was prepared to buy the premium app and service, could not find a signup or registration page (none exists within the app), and finally called their 800 number, to be informed that the app is only for those who already have their magicjack device. Very disappointing, and very misleading.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
You guys suckered me in... I bought a Fongo!

I kept it Canadian. As Magicjack is a company from Israel.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
TheHutt wrote:
1. If battery life isn't an issue, I should be selecting UDP for better call quality on a 3G/4G data network?
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Or, more likely, I didn't explain clearly.

My understanding is that you're using VoIP.ms. The actual audio stream--the actual data used for the audio portion of the phone call--uses UDP no matter what you do.
RTP audio data uses UDP.

You can select TCP, but that's for sending keep alive packets--to keep the connection open or for SIP signalling. But the actual audio itself is always sent using UDP.

So, no, selecting UDP or TCP won't affect call quality. The actual audio stream is always UDP.
2. Groundwire has "push notifications", That's great! ...I would rather have that, over Media5-fone, for that option and also the "record option too. :(
I haven't tried Groundwire on Android in several years, so I have no clue whether Groundwire is better or worse on Android.
3. Now, let's just say everything went VoIP (hypothetically), and you had to choose a phone, service and soft phone.
The first step of using VoIP is to have solid internet connectivity. Cellular data simply doesn't provide that stability. And Wi-FI may be a little better, but it's still not as reliable as a wired Ethernet connection.

So, to me, this is like asking what's the best way to run across a partially frozen lake in the winter. Probably if I stay in certain areas, I'll be reasonably okay, but I'll never be close to being 100% secure. And then if the wind blows a little (or a lot if someone is actually using Wind Mobile), or I accidentally end up in an area where the ice is weak, I'll fall through.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. And a lot of people won't agree with me (especially those that are younger than me and never grew up without smartphones being invented), but I honestly feel relying on cellular data to make VoIP calls is not a good idea.
Would you run iPhone
Oh, I have no horse in this race. I ended up using iPhones because at the time I got my first smartphone it was cheaper than a Samsung smartphone I was also interested in. And my girlfriend at the time wanted an iPhone . . . and, now, I reached a point where I own tons of iOS apps, and it would cost a small fortune for me to buy them for another operating system. Honestly, I find Apple a bit restrictive with its walled garden. I tend to want to jailbreak everything.
Groundwire
Probably. I tend to use what I'm a little more comfortable with. I'm also not aware of other VoIP SIP apps that implemented its own proxy service to help reduce battery drain for iOS users by using push notifications.
and FPL for this setup?
No. If I had to rely on cellular data, due to the fact smartphones are not stationary, I would want to use a VoIP service that had lots of servers all over the place. I think I might look more closely at VoIP.ms for that reason. I like low latency and low jitter. The greater the distance between me and the server, the greater the chance for a problem to occur somewhere along that path. And FPL's servers are in Ontario only.

But I don't just use FPL. I also use VoIP.ms to make (long distance) outbound calls. I use Google Hangouts sometimes. I've used Anveo sometimes.
Groundwire lets you setup multiple accounts with different providers. But I mostly call, using regular cellular airtime, into my ATA at home (connected via ethernet cable to a router) to access my VoIP services that way, if I need to make a long distance call, which is a lot more reliable than using cellular data to place the same long distance call.
If FPL had a TCP setting, would you use that or keep on using UDP? Would you use the "push notifications" offered by acrobits to save that battery life?
I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters if you're using UDP registration/signalling with Groundwire provided you're using push notifications on iOS. What happens is that you end up registering with Acrobit's proxy server, and it pushes those notifications to you when there's an incoming call. I was testing last year on Wi-Fi, and my battery didn't drain that much. The problem with this method is that you give up security because you're basically giving Acrobits your SIP credentials (username and password), and, although I haven't encountered a problem with FPL yet, in theory, it's possible to run into a temporary IP ban issue with FPL. FPL limits registration attempts to 5 per a 5 minute period, per server, per IP address. Otherwise, you will encounter a temporary IP ban.

http://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-se ... o-ca/22479
Freephoneline wrote: "Greeting from Canada! . . . Back in February 2013 we updated our guidelines (http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... /212430746) and gave users a period to adhere to it until we start enforcing such rules.

Those rules are mostly regarding REGISTER requests as close to 40% our user base had it missconfigured and caused a negative impact on overall service health.

As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

Secondly, I doubt there's a huge advantage (if any) to using Groundwire's push over using TCP with an Androip app. But I'd have to do a lot more testing before reaching that conclusion. So, I simply don't have an answer for you. My point though, is that I'm not noticing huge battery drain using Groundwire with FPL on iOS when using push notifications: https://www.acrobits.net/hesk/knowledge ... article=52
What I'm getting at, which you probably already figured, is I'm trying to find the absolute best way of setting my VoIP on my cell. If it means getting an iPhone, so be it.
No, again, I don't know if iOS is somehow better for VoIP SIP apps than Android. I suspect it's the opposite; I would need to ask SIP app developers (Acrobits and Bria might be two developers to ask). Acrobits has already stated "the way iOS supports multitasking is not ideal for a SIP client." So I would infer that Android has an advantage there. Otherwise, it seems likely to me that Acrobits would not have implemented a workaround/kludge for using their own proxy server to provide push notifications for iOS users.
I am with VoIP.ms, can we say their service and FPL are pretty much equal quality with a few minor differences?
I would say the VoIP part, for local calls (actual call quality), is pretty similar (and it should be since VoIP.ms uses Fibernetics as one of its carriers). The difference is VoIP.ms has A LOT more features and A LOT more servers, notably, in different locations--and free tech support.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 8th, 2016 10:44 am, edited 16 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
TheHutt wrote:
Were you referring to Zoiper or Media5-fone? Or both :D
Media5-fone
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: I have to wonder if all the Fongo fanboys on this thread actually work for Fongo.
1) I am not a fan of Fongo Home Phone nor Fongo Mobile (except for incoming faxes).

And had you read these posts, you would understand that:

fongo-ata-49-2052386/#p26990495
public-mobile-limited-time-4gb-40-plan- ... #p26974085

2) Sorry to break it you, but I don't work for Fongo

I'm looking at the Reviews for Fongo on the Android app store and the bad reviews are equally worse compared to Magicjack. Even though people say them in a sweet way.

For Android users, using Fongo Mobile

1. Try Alternate Echo Canceller and adjust microphone level: read https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... l-Android-

2. Disable SILK: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -AOSP-ROMs

3. Read (and test) https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... o-quality-

And if you have a Nexus 4, it's entirely possible Fongo Mobile will never work well for you.
I never told you to buy Fongo Home phone. If you're happy with MJ then stick with what you're happy with.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 8th, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: You guys suckered me in... I bought a Fongo!

I never told you to buy anything.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 8th, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
Does Fongo come with 12 months of free Home Phone service like Magicjack does? Or was I just had and should have bought Magicjack?

LOL. I just got my first rip off RFD deal. It looks like I have to pay a monthly $4.95 fee for essential services, making my first year of Fongo service $60.00 more than Magicjack. Thanks, OP.

When you buy Magicjack, there are no essential service fees and you get 12 months of free service when you buy the device, making Magicjack a better deal. After the first year is over, Magicjack is still cheaper. By a dollar or so each month.

I also paid $20.00 more to port my number, when I already have a Magicjack number.

Someone learn from my stupid mistake and BUY MAGICJACK!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
When you buy Magicjack, there are no essential service fees and you get 12 months of free service when you buy the device, making Magicjack a better deal. After the first year is over, Magicjack is still cheaper. By a dollar or so each month.
If all you care about is price, djino's already explained what's cheaper in the longrun over here: fongo-ata-49-2052386/6/#p26998605
I also paid $20.00 more to port my number, when I already have a Magicjack number.

Someone learn from my stupid mistake and BUY MAGICJACK!
You would have paid $25+tax to port your number. Seems to me if you paid to port your number, you would realize this. And now, you're shouting at people to buy MJ?

MagicJack or NetTalk - which is best?

magicjack-nettalk-best-1624981/2/#p20853671
PianoGuy wrote: Ford Pinto or Yugo - which is best? ;)
Pretty good analogy in my view, coming from Pianoguy, one of the biggest VoIP experts on these forums . . .