Boxing Day 2020 Deals

Fongo

[Fongo] Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 6 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 7th [Extended]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2021 7:31 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2020
3 posts
10 upvotes

[Fongo] Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 6 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 7th [Extended]

Deal Link:
Savings:
6 Mo. Free
Expiry:
January 7, 2021
Retailer:
Fongo
I received a message to my Fongo app saying: they are giving new signups for their VOIP home phone service 6 months of free service. Seems to show up on their website, as included in the deal URL. I've attached the image with the deal aswell. If it costs $4.95 a month, that's like $29.70 saved.

[Edit 1] I got another text this morning saying that they have extended the promotion until Thursday (Jan 7th)
Images
  • Fongo-Home-Phone-Boxing-Week-Promo.jpg
Last edited by generalrimt on Jan 4th, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Nov 21, 2015
615 posts
352 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Is this any good? Currently paying $29.99 for the same service but with unlimited international calling which is a must for my parents. I see they have an option for $5 and $20 world credits. Is it worth the switch for my parents if they use international calling?
May 10, 2010
648 posts
965 upvotes
London
Requires paying for 1st month of service +$29 for the fongo adapter plus 9.95 shipping. Up front costs ~$44
[OP]
Dec 27, 2020
3 posts
10 upvotes
Galaxy151 wrote: Is this any good? Currently paying $29.99 for the same service but with unlimited international calling which is a must for my parents. I see they have an option for $5 and $20 world credits. Is it worth the switch for my parents if they use international calling?
I would say so, there is an auto reload feature for world credits, so it’ll automatically purchase more credits when the balance dips below a certain amount. International calling works fine, I call my family in Portugal with no issues. You can check the int’l rates on their website
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2241 posts
2733 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't even realize they had an adapter that cheap. Thought you had to pay $100 for an unlock for something like a Obihai device. I'm currently with Ooma and thinking of switching over to this deal. How's the quality on the east coast (GTA)?
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6931 posts
11534 upvotes
Montreal
loonieryan wrote: I didn't even realize they had an adapter that cheap. Thought you had to pay $100 for an unlock for something like a Obihai device. I'm currently with Ooma and thinking of switching over to this deal. How's the quality on the east coast (GTA)?
You don't have to pay $100 for an unlocked ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) or "device" like Obihai:

Recommened ATA on sale

For 1 phone number:

Grandstream HT801 $65.50 including Shipping/Handling/Taxes (Québec)

For 2 phone numbers:

Grandstream HT802 $66.21 including Shipping/Handling/Taxes (Québec)

Why are you thinking about leaving Ooma?

To transfer your existing phone number over to Fongo there's a $10 fee at signup or $25 after signup.

Transferring your existing phone number over to VoIP.ms is FREE more info in this RFD thread.
Last edited by Temporel on Jan 6th, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21989 posts
2806 upvotes
loonieryan wrote: I didn't even realize they had an adapter that cheap. Thought you had to pay $100 for an unlock for something like a Obihai device. I'm currently with Ooma and thinking of switching over to this deal. How's the quality on the east coast (GTA)?
That's free phone line. It's $99 for the ATA key and $25 to port. Advantage is there are zero fees after that, I've been using it for years.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1402 posts
489 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: You don't have to pay $100 for an unlocked ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) or "device" like Obihai:

Grandstream HT801 $38
PC-Canada's price is $37.99 + $8.99 Shipping and Insurance + $8.99 Handling Fee (for orders below $50) = 56.97 + tax.

Canada Inks' price is $44.15 + $7.95 Shipping = $52.10 + tax.

https://www.canadainks.ca/shop/product/ ... gJchPD_BwE
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6931 posts
11534 upvotes
Montreal
spyhero wrote: PC-Canada's price is $37.99 + $8.99 Shipping and Insurance + $8.99 Handling Fee (for orders below $50) = 56.97 + tax.

Canada Inks' price is $44.15 + $7.95 Shipping = $52.10 + tax.

https://www.canadainks.ca/shop/product/ ... gJchPD_BwE
I had seen Canada Inks but contrary to PC Canada, I've never done business with them, have you?
Would you recommend them?
TIA
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1402 posts
489 upvotes
GTA
No, I have not dealt with either company. Just wanted to point out the total amounts for both company.
Jan 17, 2017
200 posts
109 upvotes
I have had this service for almost 2 years now. Service works fine. I had an issue once, put a support ticket in, they got back to me right away and gave me an updated firmware. Issue (whatever it was) was resolved.
Since then it has been pretty much flawless for me.
I pay $5.50/month when I used to pay $30+tax before from my local telecom dealer.
Yeah there is an upfront charge, but you get the device that comes all pre-configured for your phone number. It was a painless switch.
Nov 26, 2020
54 posts
52 upvotes
Me and all my co-workers got this YEARS ago for FREE. I had found the DELL phone app and we all installed it to get a free app-phone. Fongo eventually took over (think it was Freephoneline.ca for a little while) then came out with the VoIP. At that time anybody using the app could get their VoIP for free but you had to pay one time of $25 for the ATA code. We all bought refurbished Cisco-Linksys ATA's from some guy (only to learn that there were Chinese clones flooding the market at the time. These worked beautifully! Still have it as a backup incase my Grandstream ever has problem) They took care of porting your home phone number for you. We haven't paid for our home phones in over 10 years. There have been minimal problems for any of us. You get features like making your home and another number of your choice both ring at the same time (i have my cell phone ring at the same time, so even if there's an issue with Fongo I can still get the call). You can set up sequential calling, so have your Fongo ring and then another number ring right after if you don't answer your Fongo after a certain number of rings. Finally, you can have your voicemail recorded as an mp3 and sent to your email. How much with HELL Canada charge for all those?!
Just before Fongo came out with their VoIP service, I was pissed with BELL...realized that we had all these useless services and were paying $62/month for our home phone. One day i said that's enough! Called HELL and told them to remove EVERYTHING! The bare line would STILL cost $30/month though for practically nothing. Was not happy! Few months later Fongo brought this out and I jumped without hesitation.

$30/month x 12/months x 10yrs (roughly) + $25 (for ATA code) = Nice savings!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19608 posts
28599 upvotes
ONTARIO
Temporel wrote: Not sure I understand. Did you end up with a Linksys Chinese clone? Are the Linksys Chinese clones reliable?
TIA.
I bought a Linksys PAP2T from China when I first got into VOIP around 2011/2012. It was $33. I didn't know about there being fake versions of these devices at the time.
That said, it was definitely reliable. I used it for years until I eventually upgraded to a new Obi100 because it had more features.

I kept the Linksys PAP2T for years after that until eventually tossing it.
Nothing about it looked like it wasn't actually Linksys branded, but it must've been a clone since it came from China. This is of course anecdotal, but from my experience, they were very reliable.
Mar 5, 2005
522 posts
315 upvotes
generalrimt wrote: I received a message to my Fongo app saying: they are giving new signups for their VOIP home phone service 6 months of free service. Seems to show up on their website, as included in the deal URL. I've attached the image with the deal aswell. If it costs $4.95 a month, that's like $29.70 saved.
signed up 2 months ago and have had no issues. like it that they send the ata with a real number so you can use/test while waiting for my number to port. email support is not the greatest, but didnt have to rely on them for anything, just had a simple question that took them 2 weeks to respond to, ...
Nov 26, 2020
54 posts
52 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Not sure I understand. Did you end up with a Linksys Chinese clone? Are the Linksys Chinese clones reliable?
TIA.
LOL.
We're not sure to this day. They looked just like the original from what we could tell. Any way, I'm not using that one anymore. Anyway, even the real one would be too old now. Upgraded to a Grandstream about 2 years ago. Still have Linksys-Cisco one though as backup, incase the Grandstream show crap out one day (very unlikely).
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2055 posts
907 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Do you have to use their adapter? I am really happy with my IP phones...