Expired Hot Deals

Fongo

Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 4 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 9th [Extended]

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2022 7:18 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 8, 2021
1 posts
20 upvotes

Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 4 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 9th [Extended]

Deal Link:
Savings:
4 mo. free
Expiry:
January 9, 2022
Retailer:
Fongo
I got a text message from Fongo app saying, there is a boxing day promo going on for 4 months of free service for new home phone signups.

From my Seems to show up on their website, as included in the deal URL. I've attached the image with the deal as well. If it costs $4.95 a month, that's like $29.70 saved.

[Edit] Got another text saying the deal has been extended until Sunday Jan, 9th.
Images
  • 2021 Boxing Day Popup Ext..png
Last edited by Ymack78 on Jan 3rd, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
123 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2019
760 posts
581 upvotes
I am using it already on my phone and I thought they were free already except sending text msgs?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2012
4799 posts
4493 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xxxibgdrgn wrote: I am using it already on my phone and I thought they were free already except sending text msgs?
Home phone service, not the cell phone app. It's for traditional landline phones.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: Home phone service, not the cell phone app. It's for traditional landline phones.
Yep, it's VOIP. Basically the exact same as Rogers Home Phone, but half the price. Unlike a "real" phone line from Bell, it won't work if your internet is not working.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
1775 posts
775 upvotes
Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 8, 2009
1460 posts
479 upvotes
Brampton
NikyK wrote: Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
+1
Sr. Member
Apr 7, 2005
632 posts
110 upvotes
NikyK wrote: Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
dealerguy wrote: +1
We've been using Fongo home phone for the past few months, has been pretty solid, much better than iTalkBB. Voicemails get forwarded to your email, and texts to the VOIP number get forwarded to your email as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
1775 posts
775 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: You still have to pay for the $29 + taxes ATA right?
Not only, total cost is $66.44 tax in for Ontario.
Essential Services Fee - $4.95
Essential Services Fee - Deposit - $4.95
Fongo Home Phone Adapter - $29.00
Purolator® Shipping & Handling - $9.95
Number Transfer - $9.95 (if you want to keep your existing number)
HST, ON: $7.64
Total: $66.44
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2821 posts
2080 upvotes
NikyK wrote: Not only, total cost is $66.44 tax in for Ontario.
Essential Services Fee - $4.95
Essential Services Fee - Deposit - $4.95
Fongo Home Phone Adapter - $29.00
Purolator® Shipping & Handling - $9.95
Number Transfer - $9.95 (if you want to keep your existing number)
HST, ON: $7.64
Total: $66.44
Huh??? That is not a cheap for free four months service...
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2008
944 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
If they offered anti-telemarketing filtering I would consider switching.

Porting is $9.95 when signing up. The ATA is $29.BYOD doesn't seem to be supported.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2019
604 posts
859 upvotes
Victoria, BC
NikyK wrote: Not only, total cost is $66.44 tax in for Ontario.
Essential Services Fee - $4.95
Essential Services Fee - Deposit - $4.95
Fongo Home Phone Adapter - $29.00
Purolator® Shipping & Handling - $9.95
Number Transfer - $9.95 (if you want to keep your existing number)
HST, ON: $7.64
Total: $66.44
Add "Regulatory Compliance Fee" of $2.54/Month to that.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2019
604 posts
859 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I still rather my Ooma "Free" home phone. It's not like free free tho. This is what I pay monthly:

Subtotal: CAD $0.00
Taxes and Fees:
911 Service Fee: CAD $2.43
Regulatory Compliance Fee: CAD $2.54
Goods And Services Tax (gst): CAD $0.25
Provincial Sales Tax (pst): CAD $0.35
Total: CAD $5.57
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
1775 posts
775 upvotes
alireja wrote: I still rather my Ooma "Free" home phone. It's not like free free tho. This is what I pay monthly:

Subtotal: CAD $0.00
Taxes and Fees:
911 Service Fee: CAD $2.43
Regulatory Compliance Fee: CAD $2.54
Goods And Services Tax (gst): CAD $0.25
Provincial Sales Tax (pst): CAD $0.35
Total: CAD $5.57
Well, the only issue here is just to sign up for the Ooma service you need to pay for an adapter that is the lowest on sale now CDN $79.99 plus tax, then pay an one-time fee of CDN$ 39.99 if you want to port your number, also some features that are included for no additional charge with Fongo like Unlimited CAN/US Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Conference Calling, are only available with Premier service that is CDN $9.99 plus tax and all other taxes and service fees... And the last if you need to call international numbers... the rates are quite different I must admit... Fongo has one rate no matter if it’s a mobile number or landline, while Ooma has two rates, one for landline and another for mobile numbers.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2019
604 posts
859 upvotes
Victoria, BC
NikyK wrote: Well, the only issue here is just to sign up for the Ooma service you need to pay for an adapter that is the lowest on sale now CDN $79.99 plus tax, then pay an one-time fee of CDN$ 39.99 if you want to port your number, also some features that are included for no additional charge with Fongo like Unlimited CAN/US Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Conference Calling, are only available with Premier service that is CDN $9.99 plus tax and all other taxes and service fees... And the last if you need to call international numbers... the rates are quite different I must admit... Fongo has one rate no matter if it’s a mobile number or landline, while Ooma has two rates, one for landline and another for mobile numbers.
There was a thread here few years ago for Ooma device for $20 fro Walmart. That's where I got mine. Yes, those futures are nice to have. One good thing about Ooma is that you can make outgoing calls using the app even with the basic free service.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
1775 posts
775 upvotes
alireja wrote:
There was a thread here few years ago for Ooma device for $20 fro Walmart. That's where I got mine. Yes, those futures are nice to have. One good thing about Ooma is that you can make outgoing calls using the app even with the basic free service.
Well, I wish we had a time machine Face With Tears Of Joy, but it’s almost 2022, and those are the current prices... So if we try to compare two services I would say that the Fongo is a clear winner! I couldn’t comment on a quality or reliability of any of them though... 🤷‍♀️
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2020
133 posts
119 upvotes
NikyK wrote: Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
Had them for like 3 years. It's fine. Never any real issues.
Sr. Member
May 28, 2011
800 posts
799 upvotes
I've used Fongo for 5+ years, pretty sure I've spent more than $150+ on buying minutes, text message packages etc and in my opinion it's pretty shit, clunky UI, often times texts don't come through, doesn't work with 2FA either.

Only reason I stuck on to it is because since I was early it gave me a decent 647 number that I kept on using rather than one of those odd area codes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
NikyK wrote: Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
I've had them since June and haven't had any problems yet. Of course, no voip provider will work if there is an internet outage. I don't notice any difference in quality between them and the "real" Bell phone line.

Also, if you are particularly tech-savvy, Fongo provides the exact same service but without technical support for free at Freephoneline.ca. The upfront cost is higher (you need to purchase some kind of configuration file) and you have to set up everything yourself, but no monthly fee means the longer you use the service the more you save.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)